Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518079 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1275 on: January 02, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »

World of Assholes

50% of why I don't like Fable (the first one, but I imagine the others are much the same). Everybody is an asshole, a sycophantic follower, or totally neutral to your character. Nobody is nice, nobody is helpful, everybody just plain sucks. Not to mention that 90% of NPCs have the most obnoxious, gimmicky fake British accents imaginable. I actually kind of like Fable's gameplay and I don't mind the graphics that much, but by God is everything else about the game annoying.

Your mother
Sister
Whisper (iffy)
Guild master
Rose lady (Branded Rose?)

All these people seemed pretty 'nice' to me. Of course, they weren't exactly tripping over their own feet trying to help you and there was definitely some odd... *ahem* tension in Rose's case. Whisper was the classic 'I'm better than you' rival but she wasn't really too much of a jerk. It was just kind of the way she was raised by her brother.

Anyway, I really liked Fable, though I'd say it's 40% rose-tinted-glasses.

---

Hey, hey, Skyrim, you know your really 'meh' vanilla game? F*ck that!

Peeve: Mediocre or bad games lauded as really awesome.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

I think Fable was the best in its series to be truthful... and while the second game did bring a lot of needed improvements to the table... it lost its edge and was a pathetically easy game.

Not that Fable wasn't too easy and was perfect all the way through... far from it. Fable was a very flawed game, but the sequels take some of its more prominent flaws and amplifies them.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:55 pm »

I really disliked the removal of armor, to be honest. Freaking guns, always ruining everything.
The circle is complete.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:39 pm »

I hated how the third had no variety whatsoever
Just like 3 sets of 'armor' or something and very few weapons to choose from
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1279 on: January 02, 2015, 11:34:03 pm »

^^This. Mass Effect had the same problem for me but at least fighting was still enjoyable.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 03, 2015, 02:28:33 am »

^^This. Mass Effect had the same problem for me but at least fighting was still enjoyable.

I think Mass Effect went way overkill with all the different armor, and weapons and weapon mods and all that that in the first game and then scaled it back too harshly. There was more variety in the third if I remember correctly. Still a good game though. Besides, it probably let them focus more on the story and character interactions.
(Second ME is the best in my opinion.)
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 03, 2015, 02:37:18 am »

Bosses with bullshit abilities (oh so very many games, but right now Warframe), most specificly the 'spawn minions or activate some other ammo-sink target that makes me invulnerable' shit.  I am so sick of this bullshit, contrived, mindless way to artificailly draw out a battle.  If you want me to have to think about what I'm doing, then give the fucking actor some real A.I. and stop dicking around with this recycled stupid garbage!
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 03, 2015, 02:44:37 am »

I too hate bosses with invilnerability just to draw out battles.

I also hate games with way too many weapon types/different ammo types because it makes it way to hard to keep one gun with enough ammo.
Fallout new Vegas went just ever so slightly over the line, not nearly far enough to anger me but just enough for me to dislike the over variety of ammo
Both borderlands (one and two, haven't played the new ones yet) had just the right gun/ammo varity for my taste

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 03, 2015, 02:48:48 am »

The newest one is basically Space Australia. Or at least, Space Australian Stereotypes (with a British urchin stereotype thrown in just 'cause.)

If you don't know a lot about Australian culture you probably won't get a lot of the references.

Oh, and Jack has these arm cannon things that look ridiculous.
Think of it more as an expansion pack to BL2 than an actual new game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:50:33 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 03, 2015, 02:52:30 am »

The newest one is basically Space Australia. Or at least, Space Australian Stereotypes (with a British urchin stereotype thrown in just 'cause.)

If you don't know a lot about Australian culture you probably won't get a lot of the references.

Oh, and Jack has these arm cannon things that look ridiculous.
Think of it more as an expansion pack to BL2 than an actual new game.

That sounds perfect
I never even finished BL2
I have this problem where I will love the game but run into a patch where I can't play then I try to pick it back up and I forget how to play or everything I was doing

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 03, 2015, 02:57:24 am »

As far as I'm concerned it's a slightly-worse-in-some-ways slightly-better-in-some-ways slightly shorter BL2 (game play wise) but for the most part it's just more of the same. The new abilities are faaaiirly interesting but nothing too amazing.

Nisha - Aimbot + Buff
Athena - Damage Soak
Wilhelm - Mobile turret drone and some other drone.
Claptrap - LOLSORANDOM

At least, that's how I'd describe them.
The circle is complete.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 03, 2015, 03:13:11 am »

I know I'm way late on nonstandard game overs, but my favorites were the Paper Mario ones. Always show up right before the final boss and seem like insanely counter-intuitive choices, but they're there anyway.

I just can't stand games where they're usually quite good, but then one little spelling or grammar error ruins the mood. Flash games are really prone to this--action/adventure games where the designers forgot periods existed, RPGs where the final boss terribly misspells a word in his pre-fight monologue, the list goes on. On the other end of the spectrum are games that suck (especially RPGs with poorly-thought-out gameplay) but have flawless text.

Oh, I also can't stand games where there should be a plot, but there isn't. Usually RPGs. Nintendo's been a big offender here for a while (looking at you, Link Between Worlds and Sticker Star), but I see it way too often otherwise, as well.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 03, 2015, 06:14:33 am »

Here is a HUGE pet peave of mine

When what is being said in the voice over, and what is being said in the text are not the same.

I don't care if the person is saying "It is" while the text it "It's"... it BUGS me.

and to add onto this

When you can name the main character only for the text to refer to you but the voice over to just not mention your name

Seriously man if that was the case I'd have preferred a fixed name. At LEAST give me a nickname. I didn't mind being called Little Sparrow in Fable 2.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 03, 2015, 06:43:05 am »

Here is a HUGE pet peave of mine

When what is being said in the voice over, and what is being said in the text are not the same.

I've got to agree with this one a lot. It really is quite irritating. Sometimes I'll change to another language for the voice-overs so the subtitles aren't mismatched (to my knowledge, at least. xD)

On the other stuff, I really did quite like the Titles system from Fable. It made you feel like you were moving up a bit. Somewhat related to this, my pet peeve is:

Games that declare the player-character as the 'Super Special Chosen One / Ultimate King of Awesome You Are the Best there Ever Was' way too quickly and way too readily. Looking at you, Skyrim.  Also looking at you, surprisingly, Divinity: Original Sin.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:37 am »

In all fairness though when Divinity does it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am thinking of games that did a twist on this concept...

I mean there is Whispered World of course... OHH and Avalon Code

and Avalon Code probably does the "Destined most awesome person who ever lived" REALLY interestingly. I mean honestly the framing of Avalon Code is probably one of the greatest of ALL videogames.

Yet it wastes it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:52:51 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 324