Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518143 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1155 on: November 28, 2014, 03:26:01 am »

I hate earning millions of dollars in a game and not being able to spend it on anything.

The loot you find is always better than the stuff you can buy, and there is so much loot, you can be quickly rich by selling the loot you get. A piece of armor looted from a dead bandit could buy several estates in the world's economy of that game. In Skyrim, I fixed this problem with mods and self-imposed challenge of not looting corpses unless it's a small item like a gem or something.

All shopkeepers are totally okay with buying any piece of trash you bring to them without much of a difference between their selling price. In real life, do we collect shit on the streets and sell them to supermarkets?

Your normal attacks are so powerful, it's better to go hack&slash rather than utilizing the environment by using buyable gadgets like darts and grenades. It was a problem for me in most Assassin's Creed games. I hired henchmen only during the tutorial missions.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 28, 2014, 03:38:29 am »

In Skyrim, I fixed this problem with mods and self-imposed challenge of not looting corpses unless it's a small item like a gem or something.
Yeah I do that too. I always try to play as a consistent character. Like, maybe not eating meat, or not killing things, or refusing to do fetch quests that are obviously beneath me. If I'm the bloody archmage I'm not going to run to the bloody shop to get you that sprig of lavender you need.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 28, 2014, 04:24:31 am »

Ohh.  I modded in those bits that make quests worth 1/10 of their original value.  Even that was more than any normal courier would expect.

Other things were role playing, limiting armor, and hypothermia.  And Playing on hard.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 28, 2014, 04:51:29 am »

Maybe there's not enough things to spend money on. The most expensive house in Skyrim costs 25,000 plus about 8,000 more for furnishings. Buying items from stores other than ingredients or potions doesn't happen to me too often unless I want a specific enchantment they're carrying. I've seen mods that reduce the likelihood of high end armour and weapons from dropping.
In Morrowind something like Ebony wasn't often found and worn by a few NPCs, usually the heads of the houses, and Daedric was only found in two places, one of which was on someone important's back.

Of course, all that being said, in any of the Elder Scrolls games I end up with large amounts of gold. Maybe it's not really an issue to keep the player scrounging for coins. I mean, part of the fun is amassing wealth yes?

As for character traits; at the moment my characters a werewolf so I'm avoiding picking up anything made of silver. Not terribly difficult. Oh, they're also kind of a drunk so a tavern visit involves downing a few bottles of wine.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 28, 2014, 05:17:45 am »

I hate earning millions of dollars in a game and not being able to spend it on anything.

The loot you find is always better than the stuff you can buy, and there is so much loot, you can be quickly rich by selling the loot you get. A piece of armor looted from a dead bandit could buy several estates in the world's economy of that game. In Skyrim, I fixed this problem with mods and self-imposed challenge of not looting corpses unless it's a small item like a gem or something.

All shopkeepers are totally okay with buying any piece of trash you bring to them without much of a difference between their selling price. In real life, do we collect shit on the streets and sell them to supermarkets?

Your normal attacks are so powerful, it's better to go hack&slash rather than utilizing the environment by using buyable gadgets like darts and grenades. It was a problem for me in most Assassin's Creed games. I hired henchmen only during the tutorial missions.
That's a problem inherent with open-worlds.

When you give people the ability to pick up and sell everything and anything, players wind up collecting candlesticks and bolts to sell just because they're desperate for cash early on and it breaks the economy for the late-game content.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 28, 2014, 05:37:14 am »

When I first beat Morrowind I was constantly on the edge of overencumberance because I would sell every last bit of clothing and armor that enemies carried. I didn't ever spend that money, except on bribes for a quest I ended up failing anyway and completing a set of glass armor.

I also had a habit of killing random NPCs in houses (so the guards wouldn't get me), then selling every last thing in their house. Silverware? Sold. Salt rice? Sold. Pillows? Sold. And this was on the console version, so picking up anything smaller than a helmet was nigh impossible between playing on a smallish TV and using the Xbox controller.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:51 am »

One fix is generally to make money weigh something, and take up an inventory space for the purse(s) with volume inside, so you can have a finite amount of wealth. Allow gems to be collected in purses, as well as coins. It won't hurt players in the early game, but you'll hit a point where you have to choose between accumulating more money or carrying useful items around. So, you might have done grinding for cash in the early part of the game but you hit a point where there's no clear benefit to continuing that (though it's not a HARD limit, you would be silly to use up all your encumberance for money making), you will still be able to collect higher-quality gems etc to boost your wealth, but it won't be a situation where you constantly grab everything and teleport back and forth to the shops to sell it, so the late-game wealth growing mechanism will be replacing your gold with ever more valuable gems, and you can focus on adventuring without the disjointed nature of loot/sell cycles.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:00:40 am by Reelya »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:09 am »

I think that's the worst culprit, when they don't render legs but you have a round shadow instead.
It is pretty off-putting.

I'm curious how you render a dynamic shadow without the model. Or is the model there, but not visible to you?

Most likely, there is a model. Or there is a separate model for first- and third person perspective, in some cases.

The thing with modeling legs is, it's surprisingly hard. Games like Mirror's Edge, which do render the legs, have to use animations that are EXTREMELY awkward (or, to be more precise, UTTERLY TERRIFYING AND ALIEN) so that it shows properly in the first-person right.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:25 am »

One fix is generally to make money weigh something, and take up an inventory space for the purse(s) with volume inside, so you can have a finite amount of wealth. Allow gems to be collected in purses, as well as coins. It won't hurt players in the early game, but you'll hit a point where you have to choose between accumulating more money or carrying useful items around. So, you might have done grinding for cash in the early part of the game but you hit a point where there's no clear benefit to continuing that (though it's not a HARD limit, you would be silly to use up all your encumberance for money making), you will still be able to collect higher-quality gems etc to boost your wealth, but it won't be a situation where you constantly grab everything and teleport back and forth to the shops to sell it, so the late-game wealth growing mechanism will be replacing your gold with ever more valuable gems, and you can focus on adventuring without the disjointed nature of loot/sell cycles.

There was a mod in Skyrim (or Oblivion, not sure) that did just that. I ended up having chests filled with gold.

In Skyrim, I fixed this problem with mods and self-imposed challenge of not looting corpses unless it's a small item like a gem or something.
I always try to play as a consistent character. Like, maybe not eating meat, or not killing things, or refusing to do fetch quests that are obviously beneath me. If I'm the bloody archmage I'm not going to run to the bloody shop to get you that sprig of lavender you need.

I did this with my character being very moral when it comes to stealing (in addition to looting like I mentioned). Just massacred a NPC in his house and laughed like a maniac? Not gonna take anything from his house or loot his corpse. I may be a psycho, but I have standards.

I played Morrowind so many times, I know where I can find valuable items to steal. So I tried not stealing anything and used a mod to make earning money much more difficult. No more going straight for the grandmaster's alchemical set begging to be stolen. It was surprisingly fun to try to gather enough money for alchemical tools and I actually had a reason to do quests other than reaching 100% completion.

I think the solution could be as simple as making shopkeepers not buy every piece of shit you bring to them, and even then they should be buying at a huge discount. Oblivion introduced the idea of fences where you went to sell your stolen loot, but even if you didn't get rich by looting, that only made joining Thieves Guild a requirement to get rich quick.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:19 am »

Most likely, there is a model. Or there is a separate model for first- and third person perspective, in some cases.

The thing with modeling legs is, it's surprisingly hard. Games like Mirror's Edge, which do render the legs, have to use animations that are EXTREMELY awkward (or, to be more precise, UTTERLY TERRIFYING AND ALIEN) so that it shows properly in the first-person right.
A little like The Evil Within meme and camera angles I suppose.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 28, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »

I got tons of gold in Skyrim from selling the stuff I crafted and enchanted while training smithing and enchanting (also from selling crafted jewelry), and the only obstacle there was the limited amount of gold on the merchants.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

Ok here is a Pet peeve but no game is guilty of it...

Loading an old save and being really rusty at the game

I've noticed that with a lot of my games the reason I don't load it is because I havn't played it in a long time and the game has a very noticeable difficulty curve. I am still sitting on Jade Empire (a game made out of "I wish this was better because I can see so much potential" and "Thanks Bioware... stale personalities and nonsense moral dilemmas") because I don't want to go through with the current scenario.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 28, 2014, 07:30:13 pm »

Similar peeve: Load a 5+ year old open world RPG save and I usually have absolutely no idea what I was doing, where I was going etc at the time I saved. I'd have to keep exact notes with the save of every main story quest completed, so I could at least switch back to that. I want to finish Daggerfalls main quest one day, I had a save that was probably 2/3rds completed but I have no idea what point I was up to in the save itself.

If games are gonna be that convoluted, they damn well want to have an excellent quest journal system so you can really quickly get back up to speed when you pick it up again.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »

What do you mean Daggerfall doesn't have a good journal system? It only sometimes, occasionally, rarely mentions what you actually need to know, where you need to go and may decide not to update at all.

Speaking of Daggerfall, and tying back into money; it had gold that had weight. You could also deposit it in a bank and exchange gold for letters of credit in case you wanted to save up to buy a ship or a house or summon a Daedra.

Games which allow you to write your own notes are good. Either on the map or in a journal.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 28, 2014, 08:12:00 pm »

Except for the DS Zeldas, or really any DS game that lets you write on the map. Writing with the stylus is a crapshoot anyways, and the screen is so tiny that it's impossible to write anything meaningful.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 324