Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518160 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1110 on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

Alex: I dare you to try that with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game and see how far you can get.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 17, 2014, 04:05:29 pm »

Alex: I dare you to try that with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game and see how far you can get.

Oh yeah, that one.  I got the fish to not go down the drain.  I think that's pretty good.

Then I read a walkthrough.  The cheese sandwich, man.  That's just bad design.

DNA also wrote Bureaucracy, didn't he?  Death by blood pressure, man.  Again, bad design.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 17, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »

Oh yeah, that one.  I got the fish to not go down the drain.  I think that's pretty good.

DNA also wrote Bureaucracy, didn't he?  Death by blood pressure, man.  Again, bad design.
I remember this!!

The secret is to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 17, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »

The text adventure games I have in mind are The Game of the Ages and Fantasy Quest I.

There are also apparently no people who are stuck where I am and no walkthroughs.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 17, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »

Wait, the Babelfish one?  Ah, I remember that one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:56 pm »

And you learn exactly where you stand in the eyes of the developers.  :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 18, 2014, 01:38:32 am »

I don't think those games are hard at all. The solutuon is to do a Depth-first search by hand, algorithmically trying all the possible game states until you find the winning one. Thats not hard (infact it's super easy and guarantees a solution), it's just really, really horribly tedious and boring.

A pet peeve for me is platformers like those where the solution is obvious, or obvious after a handful of deaths, but the execution is hard to pull off.  I'm looking at you, Super Meat Boy.  I hate that game so much I played it for hours just to ride the wave of building rage and frustration.  But besides SMB (wow, I just got that) being an incredible tease, requiring frame-perfect jumping when you already know the solution is a bad mechanic.

I was expecting Braid to be an aversion of that, with the handy rewind, but it's not at all.  It's a puzzle game where you deliver the solution via very easy platforming.  With a good soundtrack and intriguing nonsense of a story.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:12 am »

Autosaves irritate me. ZDoom has auto-save on by default and your save directory is quickly filled with meaningless autosaves. You have to deactivate this feature with every single game that you play through ZDoom, by hand.

Another peeve that really only applies to Doom sourceports is the fake perspective trick they use to make it so that you can look up and down. It looks terrible (you're not actually "looking" up or down; the image is being stretched and distorted to make it seem like you are) and the effect isn't even really that useful (you can only look a very short distance up or down; no peeking over ledges or looking up at high places).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1118 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:27 am »

Autosaves irritate me. ZDoom has auto-save on by default and your save directory is quickly filled with meaningless autosaves. You have to deactivate this feature with every single game that you play through ZDoom, by hand.
That just seems like bad coding. Usually games have a set amount of autosave slots..

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

It makes one autosave per level, at the start.  Which isnt bad if you want to replay the last level or two, but when you have 36 of them floating about it gets annoying.

drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1120 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:44 am »

That makes sense. There's no way to delete them in-game?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:00 am »

I believe there is, one at a time.

Which brings us to mods.  They often use similar names or parts.  Which ones do you delete and not destroy your work?  They color code some of them, but I tend to leave that mess alone and actually make an archive in a separate folder.
PKs DF Mod!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 18, 2014, 10:17:40 am »

Games where the bad guy is a better good guy than the good guys but you can't join the bad guy cuz REASONS
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 18, 2014, 10:43:32 am »

Games with unfitting soundtrack. I turned the music off in system shock 2 because everytime I got into a OMG SURVIVAL HORROR SITUATION a weird techno tune always played which sort of ruined the mood.
Also, RPGs in which the villain first portrayed as the main villain ends up just being a tool to a previously unknown OMG INCREDIBLY ANCIENT EVIL OF DOOM and we only find that out after the first half of the game. I mean its an ok way to tell a story, but its used so often it gets really predictable.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1124 on: November 18, 2014, 11:46:49 am »

Games with unfitting soundtrack. I turned the music off in system shock 2 because everytime I got into a OMG SURVIVAL HORROR SITUATION a weird techno tune always played which sort of ruined the mood.
Also, RPGs in which the villain first portrayed as the main villain ends up just being a tool to a previously unknown OMG INCREDIBLY ANCIENT EVIL OF DOOM and we only find that out after the first half of the game. I mean its an ok way to tell a story, but its used so often it gets really predictable.
And when you really aren't expecting it then usually the main villain is just better.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 324