Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518248 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #960 on: January 11, 2014, 04:46:16 pm »

Mafia 2 is definitely like that. There's even a speed limiter you can turn on that automatically keeps you within the speed limit.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 11, 2014, 04:48:55 pm »

Patriotic Advertisement Games
Did somebody Call of Duty 6 and onwards?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:15 pm »

Quick Time Combat

At least Assassin's Creed has an excuse. It's always like that and all combat is basically a big QTE.

Far Cry 3 has no excuse. No spoilers, but all of the boss fights are QTEs.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 11, 2014, 05:13:46 pm »

Personally, if I can say anything more I'm going to talk about Dishonored!

Why does your handyman, who sells things on the black market for ya, not sell excess food and ammo?

I mean, it's the black market, why would you not try to use those for money?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:19 pm »

Irrelevant Side Quests

In which side quests, especially side quests that use mechanics not found in the rest of the game, have no impact on the rest of the game whatsoever. This especially applies to side quests which give you no ingame benefits except benefits towards completing the rest of the irrelevant side quests.
I don't completely agree with you on this. There are some sidequests completely irrelevant to the main storyline, that give no advantage in the rest of the game, that I loved. Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series contain numerous examples, granted those do give you some xp. In every game that has side quests, I finish those first, not for the reward, but for the challenge, or the story, or just for fun.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 11, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »

Irrelevant Side Quests

In which side quests, especially side quests that use mechanics not found in the rest of the game, have no impact on the rest of the game whatsoever. This especially applies to side quests which give you no ingame benefits except benefits towards completing the rest of the irrelevant side quests.
I don't completely agree with you on this. There are some sidequests completely irrelevant to the main storyline, that give no advantage in the rest of the game, that I loved. Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series contain numerous examples, granted those do give you some xp. In every game that has side quests, I finish those first, not for the reward, but for the challenge, or the story, or just for fun.

Yeah, but money and xp still help you in the "main quests". I'm referring more specifically to those games where the reward has no use whatsoever outside the sidequest line. For example, the sidequests in Assassin's Creed III, where making money from your homestead/ship missions gives you money, the only real use of which is to put back into your homestead to make more money to put back in your homestead etc etc etc

In retrospect, "Irrelevant money" might have been a better title actually.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 11, 2014, 08:18:38 pm »

Yay, my favourite thread is back from the dead!

Guilt by association
Particularly common in fantasy games, where some goblins (or other intelligent non-human thing) will cause some havoc to a village (even sometimes as minor as stealing livestock or vandalism) and you will be tasked with exterminating large quantities of them while being framed as the good guy. Because apparently all goblins are guilty of this, and apparently the punishment is death. I suspect this has something to do with...

Human Exceptionalism
Humans kick-ass and are special, and all other intelligent creatures are inferior. They go out and either exterminate their enemies to make the world better for them, or end up being the only species that can save the world with their awsomeness and specialness. Bonus points of humans-being-special is reinforced by some god/gods/religion/destiny. It reminds me too much of American Exceptionalism (Related to GreatJustice's Patriotic Games). This applies to everything and not just fantasy.

Damn, so much fantasy is just plain dumb. (Disclaimer: I love fantasy. I just with it was less often so one-dimensional).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 11, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »

Eh, I honestly prefer to play as humans. If there's an option to play as a human, I will pick that 100% of the time over some alien/other race (see: Starbound). I'm a huge sci fi and fantasy nerd, but when playing games, I find I can relate more to a human protaganist than some anthropomorphized other race.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 11, 2014, 09:18:48 pm »

Eh, I honestly prefer to play as humans. If there's an option to play as a human, I will pick that 100% of the time over some alien/other race (see: Starbound). I'm a huge sci fi and fantasy nerd, but when playing games, I find I can relate more to a human protaganist than some anthropomorphized other race.

Pffft, how boring are you :P. Personally, I find I can relate more to the non-humans than the humans, mostly because to me the humans are boring. But its (obviously) perfectly understandable that most humans are going to be more interested in human characters.

But these peeves actually tend to be in games where you can only be a human moreso than games with non-human playable characters. Infact, games with playable non-humans generally just seem to have Average Humans. Likewise, you dont have to be a goblin/whatever to question why the author/developer thought it was a good idea to go exterminating them due to a few individual's (and if the piece of media in question is characterising them as sentient, then they are individuals) actions.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 12, 2014, 08:08:04 am »

Human Exceptionalism
Humans kick-ass and are special, and all other intelligent creatures are inferior. They go out and either exterminate their enemies to make the world better for them, or end up being the only species that can save the world with their awsomeness and specialness. Bonus points of humans-being-special is reinforced by some god/gods/religion/destiny. It reminds me too much of American Exceptionalism (Related to GreatJustice's Patriotic Games). This applies to everything and not just fantasy.

Agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I regard it as a somewhat stealthy mannifestation of buried racist instincts, and only "acceptable" in the eyes of the general public because there are in fact no elves or aliens to discriminate against.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 12, 2014, 08:31:32 am »

Human Exceptionalism

Agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I regard it as a somewhat stealthy mannifestation of buried racist instincts, and only "acceptable" in the eyes of the general public because there are in fact no elves or aliens to discriminate against.

It's not racist instincts, it's what creates racism in the first place. Ingroup-outgroup dichotomy. An easiest way to create cohesion in a group is it give them an external, real or imagined common enemy to unite against. Read up on Robber's Cave experiment for a nice example.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 12, 2014, 08:29:04 pm »

I was going to write a whole paragraph about how it seemed to be caused by a similar mechanism that causes racism, the whole "us" and "them" style of thought. I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it like that.

It can also seem as some sort of insecurity thing. Imagine a sci-fi where all the alien races are stronger and smarter and basically superior to humans. This makes us feel small. But we end up saving the day somehow to make us feel better about our position in the universe. (I would say Mass Effect is an example of this, but I have not finished it so I can't say for certain that that is how it goes).

Sometimes, negative traits of "us" are reprojected as positive ones. For example the relationship between Humans and Vulcans in Star Trek, where human irrationality ends up saving the day all too many times.

Now that I think about it, you could extract alot of interesting information on how humans think and behave from fiction.

You eat your own head

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 12, 2014, 09:22:42 pm »

There has been cases where species are actually better then us in every way. The problem is that you have to work really really hard as a writer to make sure they don't become Mary Sues. Really, it isn't racism, it's just easier for people to write.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:24:46 pm by Fniff »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 12, 2014, 10:27:24 pm »

Unless it's a weird artsy videogame, games are around to make the player feel powerful, so if the player character is human, then humans (or Americans, or ninjas, or whatever group) is going to be the dominant force in the setting. Who would want to play a Pokemon game if Pokemon were just regular animals that looked funny?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »

Well, people who'd like a dogfighting simulator, thinking about it.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 324