Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518339 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #825 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:06 am »

Games that completely change the gameplay every ten minutes
Looking at you Call of Duty. Black Ops 2 was notably bad for this. It was throwing one-off gimmicks at least once a level to try and keep interest (in the early missions anyway). My attention span is not that short. If your core mechanics cannot keep interest then trying to patch over it with novelty sequences won't help much.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 21, 2013, 12:56:54 pm »

Mecha games with weak single player/weak characterization.

Sometimes, the mecha is more memorable than the pilot. I'd love to create the single player to a mecha game- I feel that not enough mecha games have a strong single player where things happen and people die, a lot of things aren't explained, and the entire experience almost feels like "these are the things that would be cut from a game".
You are looking for Xenogears for the PS1.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #827 on: September 21, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »

Mecha games with weak single player/weak characterization.

Sometimes, the mecha is more memorable than the pilot. I'd love to create the single player to a mecha game- I feel that not enough mecha games have a strong single player where things happen and people die, a lot of things aren't explained, and the entire experience almost feels like "these are the things that would be cut from a game".
You are looking for Xenogears for the PS1.

A really great game, except the one jumping puzzle bit.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:57 am »

Not sure why everyone here is so against platforming. While it can get annoying if it's both poorly done and mandatory, I find the idea of secret jumping puzzles to be really neat (Something like noticing that you can climb up some boxes onto the rooftops, and find a hidden area from there).
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 22, 2013, 11:02:25 am »

Games that completely change the gameplay every ten minutes
Looking at you Call of Duty. Black Ops 2 was notably bad for this. It was throwing one-off gimmicks at least once a level to try and keep interest (in the early missions anyway). My attention span is not that short. If your core mechanics cannot keep interest then trying to patch over it with novelty sequences won't help much.
This only works in jokey games, often that parody the whole idea. Like Frog Fractions.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 22, 2013, 11:15:09 am »

Stupidly difficult sections in an otherwise easy game.
Looking at you, Lord Jabu Jabu.
"what are these? bubbles and jellyfish? okay whatever."

"OH GOOD LORD I HAVE A FOURTH OF A HEART LEFT"
Black lives matter.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:35 am »

Hrm. This gets me thinking... how would a survival horror in a tank work?

I think it could work... if you did it really well. Somehow. Maybe bring it down to "survival horror in a car".

I like the idea of slow horror that sets in over a few hours of play instead of jump-scares or gore. I'd play it.

I'm not a survival horror person, as they usually bore me, however, this is good!
Reminds me of a Subnormality Comic that is horror.

I think sometimes I want a slice of life game, that has a slow and creeping sense instead of a beginning change that is sudden.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »

Hrm. This gets me thinking... how would a survival horror in a tank work?

I think it could work... if you did it really well. Somehow. Maybe bring it down to "survival horror in a car".

I like the idea of slow horror that sets in over a few hours of play instead of jump-scares or gore. I'd play it.

I'd definitely play this.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 22, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »

Whenever a game spams shooting enemies that fly and I'm currently playing a melee character.
Crack-a-lack-a

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 22, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »

Freezing enemies of any kind ever

I have never had fun fighting an ice-themed enemy that could freeze me. I always spend half the battle frozen, waiting to be put out of my misery by an enemy that could be easily defeated except for their stupid god damn freezing ability. Sometimes it can be almost like the infamous Silver battles from Sonic 06.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 22, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »

Freezing enemies of any kind ever

I have never had fun fighting an ice-themed enemy that could freeze me. I always spend half the battle frozen, waiting to be put out of my misery by an enemy that could be easily defeated except for their stupid god damn freezing ability. Sometimes it can be almost like the infamous Silver battles from Sonic 06.
I liked how one enemy from the Metroid prime series did it, in that you weren't frozen, just your suit was offline, so you had only limited control, and breaking out of it could actually be affected.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:51 am »

Artificial Difficulty

Increasing the difficulty level just makes more of the same type of enemy appear, or gives them more health and/or more damaging attacks. It's much more entertaining to have newer enemies on top of those already present, or at least enemies that compliment each other eg projectiles and melee, fast but weak alongside slow but powerful.

I like the occasional challenge, but it's great when I see a new enemy and proceed to get smashed by it until I figure out how to neutralise it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:48 am »

That's a pretty sweeping definition of "artificial difficulty". In fact, I can't really say I know many (any?) games where difficulty level wouldn't do either of what you describe.

I'd say artificial difficulty is more like damage you cannot avoid without foreknowledge of what's coming. Basically keep replaying the game till you memorize all the traps.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:42 am »

Artificial Difficulty

Increasing the difficulty level just makes more of the same type of enemy appear, or gives them more health and/or more damaging attacks. It's much more entertaining to have newer enemies on top of those already present, or at least enemies that compliment each other eg projectiles and melee, fast but weak alongside slow but powerful.

I like the occasional challenge, but it's great when I see a new enemy and proceed to get smashed by it until I figure out how to neutralise it.

This brings to mind the Timesplitters game (I think the second) where increasing the difficulty would actually increase the length of the level to include more difficult portions. Now, the game itself was far from perfect, but I absolutely loved this mechanic. I mean, what better way to encourage players to try a harder difficulty than to make it include actual new content other than stronger enemies?

That can be done well, but it's usually horrid.

How about games that penalize you for not being good at them by not letting you play all levels on anything but the hardest difficulty? No examples, but I do remember playing and hearing about several.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:45 am »

I liked how the harder difficulties in Goldeneye would add more objectives ON TOP of more/harder enemeis.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 324