Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518595 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #465 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »

If you just want to see the AI building walls, you can get that from Age of Empires II and the expansion Age of Kings. However, the AI has horribad pathfinding. The AI can and will make walls and build gates through them, and will happily destroy your walls when you build them :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 01, 2013, 12:33:54 pm »

will happily destroy your walls when you build them :D

Unless those walls are made entirely out of gates. Or did they fix that problem already? Can't remember.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 01, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »

I know in a couple of the Stronghold games, the AI was decent at building walls and making them into nice little fortresses. Crusaders is the one that comes to mind.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 01, 2013, 12:46:07 pm »

I know in a couple of the Stronghold games, the AI was decent at building walls and making them into nice little fortresses. Crusaders is the one that comes to mind.

The AI was just building those walls/fortresses from a template. It's pretty obvious when you play with multiple copies of the same AI in skirmish. I have to admit though, the templates were pretty good. Kudos to whoever designed them.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 01, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »

Plot and gameplay that doesn't match up
Oh God, your friend has died in a heroic self-sacrifice! Wait, you have nanites/magic/potions that can bring them back from the dead in regular combat. Why don't you just use it on them?
Technology's evil! Agh!
This is strangely common in Eastern RPGs, and it really puts me off. The bad guys use technology, and the heroes are all farmer's children who use magic. It's weird, because being a luddite means that if technology didn't exist, then we wouldn't be able to play this RPG that says technology is evil. It's like saying that the internet is evil and posting it on a forum. Speaking of...
A sword is obviously more powerful then a gun
Okay, if the sword's enchanted, I can see that. But I can't see why an ordinary bow beats out a revolver. Guns are specifically why modern armies don't fight with swords and bows anymore!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »

Extra Credits went into those two last particular subjects rather well. I fully recommend watching it if you want a small crash course of the "East/West" division on weapons and technology in gaming. I still find "Eastern" culture to be extremely foreign and confusing though. 

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-myth-of-the-gun
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:21:57 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 01, 2013, 09:49:34 pm »

Games written in Flash and not being able to adjust the quality of said games. It makes most games unplayable on Facebook, which is about the only place I can play video games with my mother this day. Pisses me off it does, kind of.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:41 pm »

Plot and gameplay that doesn't match up
Oh God, your friend has died in a heroic self-sacrifice! Wait, you have nanites/magic/potions that can bring them back from the dead in regular combat. Why don't you just use it on them?
Technology's evil! Agh!
This is strangely common in Eastern RPGs, and it really puts me off. The bad guys use technology, and the heroes are all farmer's children who use magic. It's weird, because being a luddite means that if technology didn't exist, then we wouldn't be able to play this RPG that says technology is evil. It's like saying that the internet is evil and posting it on a forum. Speaking of...
A sword is obviously more powerful then a gun
Okay, if the sword's enchanted, I can see that. But I can't see why an ordinary bow beats out a revolver. Guns are specifically why modern armies don't fight with swords and bows anymore!

Technology is evil thing is pretty straightforward if you look at the cultural root of it. The westerners basically came and forced a culture unprepared for it. They didn't have enlightenment that came before such a technological revolution. Its pretty much a cultural scar by now. A forced change.

The sword vs guns is simply cultural difference in the philosophy of war. Its basically because the USA warrior culture is born from the gun and the rest of the worlds older countries' warrior culture is born from the sword.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:13:42 pm by majikero »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2013, 10:17:20 pm »

When you have to extract the installer as a ZIP file and edit the registry to get the game to work after recent updates have made the game require a machine twice the capabilities it did just three years ago. What the Christ Nexon? I shouldn't have to do this after having played Mabinogi since three months after Open Beta.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:15 pm »

will happily destroy your walls when you build them :D

Unless those walls are made entirely out of gates. Or did they fix that problem already? Can't remember.

No clue on this one, haven't played for a bit and never tried that particular strategy. I'll give it a shot the next time I load it up though. If it works then I shall have a nigh impregnable fortress to hide behind with my archers >:D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 01, 2013, 11:02:12 pm »

Being more emotionally affected by the injury and/or death of an animal than a human seems to be pretty common, yeah. At least when that animal is cute and fluffy ::).

There is just something REALLY cruel about killing something that lacks the capability of knowing what is going on. The dog didn't know the guy was going to kill him and couldn't do anything anyway.

Like for example when a show, game, of movie that overplays the "innocent" aspect of a character and there is a sex scene. There are a few instances where I found the indication of sex to be horrific because the character just lacked the mental capacity to understand what that was.

The WORST is hard to quantify... the most popular and horrible instance of this was a movie about two people who go into the world of a old TV show. The girl has sex with this guy who actually LACKS the mental capacity to understand what sex is. Which is essentially having sex with a child given that he absolutely cannot consent to it... which makes it rape.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 02, 2013, 12:25:42 am »

Mods adding content that looks nothing like the main game

This is the reason I have problems with a lot of Minecraft mods. Most of the mobs from Mo' Creatures look like somebody just skinned an actual animal and stretched it tight over some cardboard boxes, which doesn't at all match with any texture pack that I've seen. Not to mention the glitchy UV mapping on some animals, leading to them having their faces on the side of their head.

I know this is a problem with all mods that introduce their own art assets, but I can't stand it when somebody doesn't even try to match the look of the game.

Forcing you to talk to characters

Basically a variant of unskippable cutscenes. In Wind Waker, any time you accomplish something, the King of Red Lions feels the need to recite your objective in the longest-winded way possible, also tending to tell you things that you've already learned much earlier in the game. I can't play Twilight Princess yet due to very strange controller problems, but I'm extremely pleased that the manual says you can skip cutscenes by pressing 'Start' twice.

Extremely long introduction/"easing in" periods

I don't have a problem with this in games like Half-Life, where there's a very deliberate pacing that pays off as the action very quickly heats up. I'm talking about when you've sunk half an hour into a game and you're still getting hint boxes and exposition. I believe Yahtzee said once that the first and last bits of a game are always the most important, and I definitely agree.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:49 am »

It pisses me off when I get into a game and there is no option to skip the tutorial, and angers me even further when the tutorial treats you like you're retarded or at the very least full-blown Autistic. Kind of makes me not want to play the game after the fact because of how the fucking assholes in development decided that they wanted to be condescending towards the intelligent players who might actually know how to play video games and/or may want to figure shit out on their own, but then again most games today are made for the casual audience so I find myself getting upset about this kind of shit a lot in recent years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:17 am »

Extremely long introduction/"easing in" periods

I don't have a problem with this in games like Half-Life

Full stop!

What Half-life did however was make each section of the game very tight for each weapon. Even when you are stuck with a very limited arsenal were your choices and tactics still vast. The reason why the long easing in period didn't hurt was because there was no easing in period... Sure you didn't start the game with the rocket, but the section of the game where you are armed only with the Crowbar was just as good as the section (if not better) where you finally get the assault rifle.

It pisses me off when I get into a game and there is no option to skip the tutorial, and angers me even further when the tutorial treats you like you're retarded or at the very least full-blown Autistic. Kind of makes me not want to play the game after the fact because of how the fucking assholes in development decided that they wanted to be condescending towards the intelligent players who might actually know how to play video games and/or may want to figure shit out on their own, but then again most games today are made for the casual audience so I find myself getting upset about this kind of shit a lot in recent years.

Hey, Press B to jump! Now I am going to give you 10 seconds to jump, keep listening to me talk very sloooooowly!

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:47 am »

Hey, Press B to jump! Now I am going to give you 10 seconds to jump, keep listening to me talk very sloooooowly!
It's that kind of shit that makes me want to force-feed a company of South Korean game developers through a meat grinder and use the results to make pie right about now, because at least the god damn pie wouldn't be condescending towards intelligent and/or veteran players of the games that they make and often times fuck up horribly with shitty and unnecessary updates.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 324