Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103132 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights
« Reply #1215 on: December 13, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

If they start jailing political opponents, then things have definetly gone VERY wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 13, 2014, 01:24:43 pm »

... um, it's pretty far past that point? US organizations have been spuriously jailing activists and whatnot for years now. I guess if you mean actual politicians it's not quite there yet (at least not often, anyway), but. Yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 13, 2014, 01:26:47 pm »

... um, it's pretty far past that point? US organizations have been spuriously jailing activists and whatnot for years now. I guess if you mean actual politicians it's not quite there yet (at least not often, anyway), but. Yeah.

I meant actual politicians.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »

I only meant activists, but now that private communications can be collected people who privately express the same sentiments can find themselves charged in the same way. It probably won't happen unless they directly antagonize the folks in charge, but it will allow harsher fines and jail sentences. They didn't put that in for no reason, it will eventually be used, but again probably in the form of politically motivated investigations.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 13, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

I think we've been at that point for years already.  Keep your head down, and you can have whatever political opinions you want.  But there's been plenty of evidence that you will be targeted in the U.S. if you become outspoken in any way outside of establishment, and data collection/surveillance will be used against you to find any excuse to shut you up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 13, 2014, 05:53:28 pm »

I think we've been at that point for years already.  Keep your head down, and you can have whatever political opinions you want.  But there's been plenty of evidence that you will be targeted in the U.S. if you become outspoken in any way outside of establishment, and data collection/surveillance will be used against you to find any excuse to shut you up.
Sounds a lot like the situation in Russia.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 13, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Funny, I had the exact same though when reading SalmonGod's post.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1222 on: December 13, 2014, 05:57:57 pm »

Anyone going to watch that Russian tv series that's going to be about not-Snowden?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 13, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »

A better article on the new bill.

It is essentially enshrining an active executive order (originally Regan's, but amended by Bush) in legislation. Techdirt see this as negative, legitimising the collection. I'm less opposed to it in principle for two reasons;

1) Saying that legislation legitimises executive orders is akin to saying that executive orders are not legitimate forms of government, which I disagree with.

2) Legislation is far more open to debate and reform than executive orders (IMO). The potential for debate and revision are higher, especially for topics such as these where the subject comes up in each appropriation bill. The actors cycle more frequently and are more accountable, as well as being able to make names for themselves by aligning with current anti-surveillance trends of thought.

In this case I do think it was a silly law. I don't imagine that they would ban such collections, but they haven't even put in place serious oversight. The five year limit is absurdly high. There is no requirement for any minimisation procedures or similar. I feel they ought to have made any collection at least equal in accountability to the FISA programs.

As for why I don't see them banning such collection, the 12333 collection is (as noted in the section 309 title) incidental. It's information collected as part of surveillance of a legitimate target (eg, non-citizen outside of US territory targeted for some reason). Unless the US gets out of the signal intelligence game entirely you are going to have such surveillance and going to have incidental collection of information that this law addresses. Which (and again, IMO) is where you want aggressive congressional standards for minimisation and accountability.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 13, 2014, 06:31:51 pm »

Anyone going to watch that Russian tv series that's going to be about not-Snowden?

It was surprisingly hard to find this without the title, so here's a thing about it. All I got from looking up the title that article gives is some kind of Soviet era song Putin sang at some point in the near-past.

It sounds kinda interesting, I guess, though I'm not holding out for an English sub/dub.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1225 on: January 18, 2017, 05:56:43 pm »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 19, 2017, 01:00:07 am »

How did I not know this thread existed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 19, 2017, 01:00:31 am »

How did I not know this thread existed.

Nat'l security.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:39 am »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1229 on: January 19, 2017, 04:34:31 am »

Need to know basis
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83