Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103146 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - All your WoW are belong to us.
« Reply #1035 on: December 17, 2013, 12:18:44 am »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/16/nsa-phone-surveillance-likely-unconstitutional-judge
Judge Richard Leon declared that the mass collection of metadata probably violates the fourth amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, and was "almost Orwellian" in its scope. In a judgment replete with literary swipes against the NSA, he said James Madison, the architect of the US constitution, would be "aghast" at the scope of the agency’s collection of Americans' communications data.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 17, 2013, 12:30:49 am »

Shh. Keep it on the down low. America's greatest non-secret is that it's being powered by the literally revolutionary disgust of its deceased founding fathers. We only charge for power to maintain the illusion for the rest of the world.

Necromancy, turbines, and lies: The trifect of the world's latest hyperpower.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 17, 2013, 02:24:04 am »

Necromancy, turbines, and lies: The trifect of the world's latest hyperpower.
Someone. Someone photoshop this book cover.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1038 on: December 17, 2013, 03:18:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 17, 2013, 03:24:57 am »

That's pretty clever Moghjubar.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1040 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:19 am »

Not mine, just found it browsing imgur.  Remove the .jpg (lol at .gif being sneaky) for original post.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 17, 2013, 09:50:28 am »

Norway joins the NSA's wild ride by spying on Russia for them.
Vexation! This spying and secrecy just needs to stop. 'Tis damn time to rewrite the laws and ostracize those who are responsible. They don't give a damn about the people and their rights.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:31 am »

Who cares if you spy on Russia though? Maybe they're looking for spambot lairs.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:42:37 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 17, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

I guess the thing is that spying makes Russia angry towards Norway, something the Norwegian people never asked for. Small countries must be a little more wary in choosing diplomatic tact than the USA.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 17, 2013, 05:46:55 pm »

The Russians sure do.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 17, 2013, 07:16:29 pm »

The Russians sure do.
Russia, however, is not on the US friend list. In fact, I might be so bold as to say that, perhaps, spying on the world power most antagonistic to US interests is, well, justified? The US isn't exactly spying on an ally or something less-then-legitimate like that. I mean the Chinese are playing the spying game on the US, and they aren't even directly opposed; and France is famous for it's spying*, and they're friendly, so it isn't like spying between world powers is surprising, or even unorthodox historically. And it isn't like Russia doesn't spy on the US.

As for the Norway connection, I suspect the Russians operate assuming the US is spying on them somehow anyway, and are more likely to be actively hunting down US spies or stopping US methods; and that substantiated claims of spying on them damage their fragmented but necessary (for bilaterally dealing with issues) relationship. Norway would be unexpected, their spies and intentions unknown to the Russians, their proximity a boon, the damage from possible exposure not directed at the US. Clearly Norway signed off on it willingly, and the article helpfully notes that Norway is one the claimants to the Arctic resources, and Norway has reason to support the US over a closer, more aggressive claimant.

Has it been Snowden's work releasing this? Because I can only find one source saying so, and I prefer a, wider base of source first. In any situation, I think there are more important concerns then the fact that the US spies on Russia. I hear he is attempting to gain asylum in Brazil, where angry Brazilians want to hear him speak.

*So much so that they didn't join the Five Eye community specifically because they couldn't spy on those countries; the fact that their previous records of spying would be available also didn't help
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - They've accomplished something! A court ruling against the NSA!
« Reply #1047 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:06 am »

Spyong on Russia is okay. That's the NSA job after all. Dragnetting all Russians' communications into one giant database would not be ok.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:26 am »

Spyong on Russia is okay. That's the NSA job after all. Dragnetting all Russians' communications into one giant database would not be ok.
Which, from what I can tell from the article, is not happening; it's not like the Norwegians have that capability, and the NSA could probably do it themselves. It refers to spying on various military, nuclear, and energy-related civilian targets, all within the northern region.

Also, the articles stated sources were, amusing. The comments for the Norwegian news (which were in Norwegian and Google translated) for the article pointed out the numerous grammar errors. Also, reading translated news comments is a special type of confused rambling that I think everyone should try.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 18, 2013, 04:07:59 am »

He's going to die to motivate Yossarian.  Already taken care of, dudes.

Yes! I saw 'snowden' and immediately thought 'Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear'?
And then checked the entire front page and there was zero reference to it. So necroing this quote just so I can say - I get it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 83