Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103201 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - It's a trap! Bring out the MUTANT BROTH!
« Reply #990 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:39 pm »

Jesus Christ it's like they're trying to kill the internet economy.

Or the internet entirely.

That's it, isn't it? They're scared of the internet and trying to kill it.
Given it would be approximately on par with the Debt Ceiling in terms of economic damage, it's safe to say they do not want to do that. The government is not the incompetent villain in a children's cartoon guys. They do not do evil for the sake of doing evil. Even the crazy countries have a vested interest in maintaining power. Countries that don't do not exist anymore, because their power was broken; it's as simple as that. I know many of you may not believe this, but people other then people opposed to the government use the internet. The Government uses the internet (Obamacare says hello). The government invented the freaking internet. And it is in fact an extension of the real world, not a free utopia of ideas. The whole western world in logged on now. Governments will do what they do, which is use it to their advantage, which must be curtailed. But saying destruction is pointless alarmism.

I mean you might as well have said the government was trying to ban books. Not certain books mind, all books. Ever. Not even China does that. No one does that, at all; only the Nazis were close to holding that position. Go back to China. Take a look at how they're internet world is: Continuously bubbling, sufficiently angry rhetoric being relatively swiftly expunged, various foreign sources not able to be accessed by people in China, at least legally. Compare that to their book industry. Similar no? The US is not even remotely approaching the level of internet watching in China, let alone actually acting on their information (The primary complaint in the IC about the NSA's policies is that they collect too much data to even use.). China has over two million people on their internet police force actively patrolling the internet. Given the differences in population, That would approximately equal to the population of Detroit.

The government is not coming to blow up your laptop. They will operate as insidiously as they have before, you are just more aware of it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »

Given the differences in population, That would approximately equal to the population of Detroit.

I think I just found out how to save Detroit. More seriously, the US got what, 850,000 people with top secret clearance working on intelligence? Granted, not all of them are working on internet stuff, but Detroit only has a population of 700,000.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 12, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »

They can't do internet security work in Detroit because the hooligans there have already ripped all the copper wiring out of the walls.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 12, 2013, 07:21:55 pm »

Ripped it out of the walls before it was even put in?
Hooligans are known time wizards.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:25 pm »

I was being facetious. :P

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 13, 2013, 01:44:14 am »

Ripped it out of the walls before it was even put in?
Hooligans are known time wizards.
Their experience with fisticuffs grants them exceptional skill when determining who assumes the role of Time Master, and their resilience to pain lends them an advantage during the slap phase.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:08 am »

In this thread i found
this interview with Tuss Rice. Sounds quite unbelievable, all of this, but I really lost belief in my judgement long ago, too.

Here is a quote of the initial post with an exert
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:18 pm »

This one is delicious.

The NSA has a program for spying on videogame communities, claiming that the anonymous communication over video game networks could be taken advantage of by terrorists.

The program hasn't turned up any sufficient proof to suggest that these games see any operational use in terrorism, and... that's actually the justification for the program... 

Notably, the Guardian stresses that the NSA document never gives evidence that terrorists are using video games to plot schemes and attacks. However, it claims that Xbox Live, Second Life and World of Warcraft accounts were found to be associated with the IP addresses and email addresses of Al-Qaida terrorists.

Of course, this was not enough to be considered proof -- which is why the document suggests that online games need to be monitored. "Only then can we find evidence that Games and Virtual Environments are being used for operational uses," it reportedly reads.

These games need to be monitored for evidence that they need to be monitored.

This is the type of subject that tends to attract slippery slope arguments.  I understand that such style of argument is considered logical fallacy.  Gentlemen, I admit that in this case, that was indeed a fallacy.  The slippery slope was actually an avalanche.  The rabbit hole was a canyon.  We're falling into that abyss in a whirlpool of circular logic, riding an avatar of paranoid megalomania.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 09, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »

Or possibly a bunch of NSA employees like being paid to be gamers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »

I could see a way to make it sound like SL needs to be monitored. But really, WoW?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 09, 2013, 09:15:57 pm »

There is not enough money on Earth to convince me to voluntarily play Second Life all day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

Even more ridiculous and amusing, yet not the least bit comforting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - All your WoW are belong to us.
« Reply #1002 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:34 pm »

Yeah... I'm not entirely sure if it's less comforting for those sorts to be competent... or not. Because, shit. If they're competent, at least we get something (security, conceptually anyway) out of the steady erosion of freedoms and whatnot. If they're not, then. Damn. What the hell? All societal underpinning sodomy without a single happy ending in sight. Not even a bitter one filled with tears. No happy endings at all in NSOAP land.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 09, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »

Even more ridiculous and amusing, yet not the least bit comforting.

You have to admit, though, it fits. Certainly better than being paid to read peoples' emails.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - All your WoW are belong to us.
« Reply #1004 on: December 09, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »

Single, young, male, social outcast, easily brainwashed, willing to dedicate self to fanatical beliefs.
Lets face it, WoW players fit the profile.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 83