Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103269 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mike Rogers, Representative from Michigan and Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, stated on television in defense of the NSA that "You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated."
In that vein I propose the following principle: "You can't be a victim of theft or fraud if you don't know you were stolen from or have been defrauded." Based on totally the same logic. At lest if a big bank does not notice a disappearance of one million dollars from it's vault - it does not make a difference if one were to take the money without informing the bank, right?

Edit: In a less far-fetched analogy maybe he meant that if one is leaking their state secrets to other governments for sizeable monetary compensation and they don't get to know about it - it is totally ok?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:26:57 am by Another »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Also, Snowden said he'd help in German investigation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Mike Rogers, Representative from Michigan and Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, stated on television in defense of the NSA that "You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated."
Edit: In a less far-fetched analogy maybe he meant that if one is leaking their state secrets to other governments for sizeable monetary compensation and they don't get to know about it - it is totally ok?
Wish that were the case. Specifically in question is a hidden camera in the ladies' bathroom.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

You know, with that logic, it means that since we KNOW they're violating our privacy, we're having our privacy violated massively.

Also, for them to use any intelligence they gather from privacy violation, they'd have to (indirectly) inform the violated that they were spied upon. Thereby violating their privacy! So really, if they want to say "We never violated your privacy!" because we never knew about it, they can't actually USE any of their intelligence.

(Did I get the insane troll logic right? This one is a little out of my expertise.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, with that logic, it means that since we KNOW they're violating our privacy, we're having our privacy violated massively.
Ah, but now it's Snowden's fault that people are getting their privacy violated, not the government! The NSA was keeping it safe and secret, and Snowden went and ruined it, violating everyone's privacy, and since violating privacy is bad, Snowden is the bad guy here.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The whole privacy thing seems rather nebulous imho. My definition of privacy is rather different, having grown up with ID cards, random searches, and armed guards patrolling regularly.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I still find all of that preferable to people reading my mails.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Germany may invite Edward Snowden as witness in NSA inquiry

It would mean he could file for asylum in Germany, among other things.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Everyone who meets Snowden describes his condition as if he was being held hostage by Iranians rather then living in a small apartment in Moscow. "He appeared lucid and well-informed." Hell he is probably eating better then I: Food-stamps were cut across the board recently.
Germany may invite Edward Snowden as witness in NSA inquiry

It would mean he could file for asylum in Germany, among other things.
It would also mean the US would come down hard on the Germans for willingly entertaining a known US fugitive in their own Parliament and quite possibly violating the US-German extradition treaty; the "political exception clause" of which is stricter in requirement then that of Hong Kong, and requires considerably more evidence of political persecution. It would move the Germans to "outraged" to actively acting against the US. The US has already preemptively filed a extradition suit, and the majority Christian Democrats are much more bearish then it may sound on offending the US in that way. Traveling abroad would revoke his asylum with Russia as well, leaving him very much at the mercy of the German Extradition courts.

Also, for them to use any intelligence they gather from privacy violation, they'd have to (indirectly) inform the violated that they were spied upon. Thereby violating their privacy! So really, if they want to say "We never violated your privacy!" because we never knew about it, they can't actually USE any of their intelligence.

(Did I get the insane troll logic right? This one is a little out of my expertise.)
First, Catch-22 says that a ordinance can have a clause requiring that the authority of the ordinance be kept a secret. My sig has a abbreviated version of this logic:
Soldiers have just cleared out the girls from a Whorehouse.

"No reason," wailed the old woman.  "No reason."
    "What right did they have?"
    "Catch-22. [...]  Catch-22 says they have a right to do
     anything we can't stop them from doing. [...]  What does it
     mean, Catch-22?  What is Catch-22?"
    "Didn't they show it to you?" Yossarian demanded, stamping
     about in anger and distress.  "Didn't you even make them read
     it?"
    "They don't have to show us Catch-22," the old woman
     answered.  "The law says they don't have to."
    "What law says they don't have to?"
    "Catch-22."

Secondly, Take that up with your own government: Canada is part of the "Five Eyes", a intelligence community comprising the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. They share high-level data, and agree not to spy on each other. Snowden himself has released info on the subject, and the full text of the agreement was only released to the public in 2005. There are third parties, including the Scandinavian states, West Germany, Certain East Asian allies, and, according to Snowden, Israel - these parties are not exempt from being spied on themselves. Among other things, and holding a certain level of delicious irony, Germany has expressed interest in joining the agreement. The French have stated non-interest, though a leak regarding comments by a US official imply the French spy on the US too much for that to be plausible.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

It would also mean the US would come down hard on the Germans for willingly entertaining a known US fugitive in their own Parliament and quite possibly violating the US-German extradition treaty; the "political exception clause" of which is stricter in requirement then that of Hong Kong, and requires considerably more evidence of political persecution. It would move the Germans to "outraged" to actively acting against the US. The US has already preemptively filed a extradition suit, and the majority Christian Democrats are much more bearish then it may sound on offending the US in that way. Traveling abroad would revoke his asylum with Russia as well, leaving him very much at the mercy of the German Extradition courts.
This is a case where a video conference could save him some trouble then.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am now tempted to write up a petition on Whitehouse.gov to fund a series of hidden surveilance cameras to be placed in every bathroom on Capitol Hill. It's a huge blind spot in our surveillance net, and poses a serious risk to our National Security. And who knows how many terrorists are using the stalls and urinals to make secret deals for uranium?

It might be uncomfortable for governmental officials, but the continued safety of the American People demands that we all make sacrifices of privacy, for the greater good.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:43:00 pm by Solifuge »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

It might be uncomfortable for governmental officials, but the continued safety of the American People demands that we all make sacrifices of privacy, for the greater good.

If they have nothing to hide they have nothing to fear.

Or we might catch more of those 'bathroom favors'...
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I am now tempted to write up a petition on Whitehouse.gov to fund a series of hidden surveilance cameras to be placed in every bathroom on Capitol Hill. It's a huge blind spot in our surveillance net, and poses a serious risk to our National Security. And who knows how many terrorists are using the stalls and urinals to make secret deals for uranium?

Enjoy having your name on a terrorist watch list for the trouble...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

If Snowden had released everything immediately, or within a series of days (possibly to allow room for a new really big headline each day) Nations would have been outraged, the public would have protested, and in general people would have been much more upset.

And then he would just be accused of being reckless with the info, exactly the same as Manning.  Except in his case the accusations of just dumping a bunch of stuff all over the internet would actually be true.

What you're commenting on is just a sad truth of modern political culture.  Few actually care about more than a very narrow range of political issues, and will be badly informed and forgetful regarding any issue outside of that range.  Yet somehow, everyone still behaves as if their opinion is expert on any political topic, usually by parroting whatever tag line has been repeated to them the most.

What do we do about it?  Outrage never seems to amount to anything.  People can only be moved to act when the problem is literally banging down their door.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Republicans and conservative would NEVER go big over the spying thing. It's something they want too badly, no matter how much they hate Obama, it's not something I could see them ever risking increased opposition to it on the ground by pushing it. It would be like them turning against military power, against everything they stand for.

There is nothing Snowden could have done to get the Republican's opposed, and most of the Democrats are too busy defending against Obama attackes to risk standing against him.

The only possible situation where Snowden's leaks would have had lasting effects is if he waited until after the next election, and released them while we had a Republican president. THEN people would have been outraged, there would have been major marches and serious unrest, because the Democrats would have been a lot more willing to come out against it to rile up their base (a base that might, actually, care).

There still probably wouldn't have been any changes politically, of course, but people just don't fucking CARE what the government does anymore, as long as it's not being done to them. There could be a report tomorrow the government was kidnapping people off the street and interogate-torturing them, and I STILL don't think there would be major unrest over.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 83