Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103286 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - Brazil acting up? Belgium acting out? Take'em out! MALWARE HO!
« Reply #915 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:48 pm »

Well, Merkel did grow up in East Germany and spying was kind of the norm there.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 25, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

Ah, Merkel. "Spying is perfectly okay! If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about! ...wait. Wait. They were spying on me!? THAT IS UNCONSCIONABLE! This is an outrage! Spying is WRONG! You promised I wouldn't be targeting when I sold my people out to your government, and now you're just casually casting me aside like some sort of... commoner!? I won't stand for it!"
Well, she seems to be pretty cool with it, actually - the NSA only tapped her unsafe phone (she has two or three), and honestly I think she expected to be a target. Doing the whole indignation dance would only scratch her image.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »

Germany, Brazil enlist 19 more countries for anti-NSA UN resolution.

While the document does not single out the US as the chief electronic spy, its text seems to be a direct response to alleged NSA practices.

The draft says that UN member states are “deeply concerned at human rights violations and abuses that may result from the conduct of extra-territorial surveillance or interception of communications in foreign jurisdictions.”

Snowden’s leaks over the past months have revealed that NSA intercepts data directly from data cables stationed around the world. Internal documents also showed that American intelligence staff did not need a warrant or any other legal basis to freely spy on a non-US citizen.

The proposed document also claims that “illegal surveillance of private communications and the indiscriminate interception of personal data of citizens constitutes a highly intrusive act that violates the rights to freedom of expression and privacy and threatens the foundations of a democratic society.”

Silly rest of the world! You can't be more free than the people of the United States, the greatest country on Earth! Our government told us so!
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 27, 2013, 09:06:01 pm »

God forbid the UN passes another resolution for the US to ignore. You know they pass a resolution against the US embargo against Cuba every year. For 21 years. 188 countries passed it last year. With, at most, 4 votes against the resolution, and one of those is the US, and another is Israel. And not one single fuck was given that day.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

Here is my prediction of the events to come. European leaders got pretty good cards with the latest revelations and will now act all hurt until U.S. intelligence lets them get bigger share of the intel they gather to appease them.

And then we will, again, be one big happy family of people who routinely spy on each other. ::)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:59 pm »

God forbid the UN passes another resolution for the US to ignore. You know they pass a resolution against the US embargo against Cuba every year. For 21 years. 188 countries passed it last year. With, at most, 4 votes against the resolution, and one of those is the US, and another is Israel. And not one single fuck was given that day.
Really, no one really cares about UN resolutions. Pretty much every nations has several they ignore.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »

Why is it as soon as a nation becomes a major world power, they feel the need to spy on everything?

With great power comes great paranoia?

I'd personally be a bit flabbergasted if developed countries like the US didn't do this.

There is no guarantee even if there are treaties around this issue that forbid spying that there is no actual spying being done. The intelligence agencies of a country are only ever accountable to its government and no one else. In this situation where there is no guarantee that anybody else is spying on you, and you are responsible for the welfare of your citizens, the only rational course of action would be to spy on others yourself.

It's not that doing these types of act specifically are noteworthy, but that the US has seemingly been way ahead of everuone else in terms of intelligence gathering. So far as we know, and guaging the reaction to some politicians in Europe, US intelligence ability probably far outstrips the standard.

The meeting of the German spy chiefs with officials in the US probably won't be to demand a stop to this, but to  a sort of deal like the ones signed around the limiting of  nuclear arms and their proliferation.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 29, 2013, 08:47:13 pm »

I don't know. I learned a bit about other nations spying habits, and I was kinda surprised: France, apparently the world's premier expert on industrial theft, until they were replaced by; China, the mass hack attack strategists; Russia, far more experience then the Chinese, especially in that important field of "not getting caught", have a specialty for tapping specific individual lines of communication.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 30, 2013, 03:52:11 am »

I'm far more comfortable with governments spying on other governments than governments spying on their own citizens.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 30, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »

Also we need more citizens spying on governments.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:09 pm »

I think everything should be spied upon by everybody.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 30, 2013, 03:45:51 pm »

Also we need more citizens spying on governments.
No. The government represents the citizens, therefore we need more government spying on itself.
I think everything should be spied upon by everybody.
Issac Asimov's got your back; I suggest reading this.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:11 pm »

Can the OP please work MUSCULAR into thread title? Apparently this program was (is?) bigger and legally stinkier than PRISM.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:42 am »

Like they disputed everything else. I mean, the same guy was saying the NSA doesn't collect large amount of data on US citizens...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83