Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103365 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

A New York-scale mesh network is trivially possible with just existing in place WiFi equipment a bit differently configured. Strong encryption everywhere else has potential to leave only connection topology left for NSA to analyze but that will never happen because people value convenience over privacy too much*.

Example: no one here has still posted their public key.
I don't know what any of that is nor how it can be used against me. My Paranoia-fu is weak.

Question, is it even possible to change the infrastructure of the internet in a willful and coherent manner? I mean, even unlikely ideas have to follow the rules of Monday Football commenting: That is, you can only change what you did, not the other guy. Assuming everyone does not spontaneously decide to follow a new method, is there even a possibility for that?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might as well set up HAM radios then instead of going to such absurd lengths.  ::)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Question, is it even possible to change the infrastructure of the internet in a willful and coherent manner? I mean, even unlikely ideas have to follow the rules of Monday Football commenting: That is, you can only change what you did, not the other guy. Assuming everyone does not spontaneously decide to follow a new method, is there even a possibility for that?
Yes, but only if businesses become legitimately concerned by this breach. That is, the existing internet might stay in place for cat videos, but a more secure, distributed network might be run through it at significant cost. I'm not convinced encryption is enough - it was stated that one of the main purposes of the Utah datacenter was to crack AES. This might have been a more convenient explanation for why they were building something so enormous, or it might be the truth. Either way, as Another said, it depends on thorough implementation. They're in the best possible position to find security holes in non-encrypted traffic, and from that standpoint if you only use a little, you might as well use none.
You might as well set up HAM radios then instead of going to such absurd lengths.  ::)
Because being able to say for sure that your donation to Occupy, NAACP, etc. was anonymous and unmonitored by a government that has disrupted both in the name of 'national security' and rhetoric against communists is completely absurd ::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:31:33 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Yeah... security is not so easy when you have the NSA doing stuff like writing malware that targets TOR users.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

When was NAACP disrupted by the government? Was this a recent occurrence?

On targeting TOR users, I see how they did it, but I'm not clear on what exactly they used the exploit to accomplish. Did it trace the initial user's IP? TOR is built to prevent that by routing all sorts of people's traffic through three different randomized stops though, so that the most anyone could do, IIRC, is find the intermediary router. Bad news for the operators of TOR exit nodes, I suppose, but their use is not illegal. And the folks running them wouldn't do so without knowing a good deal about networking and security. Hopefully.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I know about this, their javascript used a zero-day exploit for a Firefox version bundled with TOR that left a cookie on your system. Said cookie directly contacted NSA's servers without TOR being involved. Quite classy.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Or in short, your uber-secure connection means nothing when they have malware on your pc.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

There are other ways to get at Tor data. Simply set up a number of end nodes, and start sniffing. TOR data is non-encrypted, and using that information you can probably trace everyone through other means.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been fairly common knowledge TOR end nodes in the US and in Germany cannot be trusted, even before anyone knew the NSA is snooping everywhere. The replacing of legitimate sites with malware is what is the dick move here. Since then, the UK also joined that list, but that's more 'murikkan influence than anything.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Mainly because you don't have the money to do it worse.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

When was NAACP disrupted by the government? Was this a recent occurrence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO Recent enough. Thinly disguised bigotry using wartime propaganda to gain power is pretty timeless, anyway.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EPIC FUCKING SOFTWARE LEAKS!!! It's most likely a bundle of garbage IT programs
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/PRISM#Parabon_Leaks
Some NSA software was leaked, called Jigsaw. 4chan's /g/ are trying to figure out what the fuck it is.
If you want to get a crack at it, get it here.
http://boards.4chan.org/g/res/36306142#p36306142
Magnet link in OP's post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:09:37 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Can you find a different link? 4chan's blocked here.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to run something that 'accidentally' leaked from NSA.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

I have a spare computer that needs a format anyway.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 83