Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs dont do anything  (Read 647 times)

qwerty4838

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfs dont do anything
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

So my fortress was getting pretty big everything was running smoothly and all of a sudden most of my dwarfs stopped working  :(
The tragedy began when all of the dwarfs started canceling "giving water" saying that there was no water source available, even thou i had 3 zones marked as water source near/on the river. I noticed that they were out of drinks so i started brewing some. but now they dont do anything they dont dig, dont craft, dont bring wood that is outside the fortress and complain that there is no wood. All they do is eat and sleep. Im just waiting for the innevitable demise when all my fortress dies of thrist even thou there is a river right next to it and drinks in the stockpile.

All the jobs are propperly set up (i havent touch it since the beginning of the game) so what is happening? Why are most of my dwarf just standing there waiting to die  :-[

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs dont do anything
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »

You put them in a burrows, or locked a door, or deleted an up ramp or stair, or something else that you haven't told us...

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:16 pm »

I am thinking Qwerty is pretty new to this.  It sounds like you ran out of booze to drink (remember that is the ONLY thing dwarfs want to drink, not water) and they became very unhappy and sluggish.  Because they are unhappy and sluggish, they won't do anything.

Assuming this is correct, let me take another stab.  You said you set up jobs "Since the beginning of the game"?  I am willing to bet that included cooking, which would mess up your plant supply (since they all got cooked, you have got no seeds to plant new ones with), which is what you make booze from.

The only thing I can think of off hand is to quickly designate plant gathering on any and all outside plants.  You will need the herbalist job turned on for many dwarfs, to make it go fast. This will net you both edible (raw NOT cooked) and brew-able plants right away.  Get some brewers brewing as soon as they start bringing the plants in, and hope its fast enough.

Long term, pay attention to seed/plant counts in the stocks (Z) screen, and just make sure your farms are humming away happily before letting cooks use plump helmets and the likes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:25:45 pm »

Dwarves never actually stop doing things due to booze.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:12:12 am »

Sounds very much like disconnected stairs/ramps. It's very easy to damage ramps even if you have played a little. Also the up/up-down/down stairs sometimes can go wrong. Just try to build new stairs (starting on the level where you miners currently are) and make up-down-stairs until all levels are connected again.

Possible other cause: Burrows. Do you have any burrows and may be activated a civilian alert?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:54:47 am »

Dwarves never actually stop doing things due to booze.

They can however, be 'on break' due to unhappiness for a long time, then to proceed very slowly to eat and drink some water (still no booze!) only to realize it's time for their break again by the time they're done
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:23:13 am »

Have you set an alert to keep the dwarfs in a burrow?

qwerty4838

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:13 am »

I am thinking Qwerty is pretty new to this.  It sounds like you ran out of booze to drink (remember that is the ONLY thing dwarfs want to drink, not water) and they became very unhappy and sluggish.  Because they are unhappy and sluggish, they won't do anything.

Assuming this is correct, let me take another stab.  You said you set up jobs "Since the beginning of the game"?  I am willing to bet that included cooking, which would mess up your plant supply (since they all got cooked, you have got no seeds to plant new ones with), which is what you make booze from.

The only thing I can think of off hand is to quickly designate plant gathering on any and all outside plants.  You will need the herbalist job turned on for many dwarfs, to make it go fast. This will net you both edible (raw NOT cooked) and brew-able plants right away.  Get some brewers brewing as soon as they start bringing the plants in, and hope its fast enough.

Long term, pay attention to seed/plant counts in the stocks (Z) screen, and just make sure your farms are humming away happily before letting cooks use plump helmets and the likes.

Hey guys thanks for trying to help me out. But my mistake was much worse than dwarfs in a burrow or disconnected stairs. So the problem was... i build "floor" on top of the only stairs leading down to the fortress, so no one could get in or out, yea you guys can laugh at me i deserve it.
The good news is that all my dwarfs rushed out to the river when i removed the floor they where so happy that they make a party! Literaly some of their jobs was "attend party"  :)

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:21 am »

Hey guys thanks for trying to help me out. But my mistake was much worse than dwarfs in a burrow or disconnected stairs. So the problem was... i build "floor" on top of the only stairs leading down to the fortress, so no one could get in or out, yea you guys can laugh at me i deserve it.
The good news is that all my dwarfs rushed out to the river when i removed the floor they where so happy that they make a party! Literaly some of their jobs was "attend party"  :)

I did the same thing in my last fort! Glad to hear ya figured it out before everyone dried of thirst and became Dwarf Jerky! :D

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »

You put them in a burrows, or locked a door, or deleted an up ramp or stair, or something else that you haven't told us...

The moral of the story is that this guy was right.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku