Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are your dwarves overweight? Here's how I solved it...  (Read 3020 times)

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are your dwarves overweight? Here's how I solved it...
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:37 pm »

I have some fat dwarves.

And by some, I actually mean the majority of my 132 little buggers  :o

My recently minted military is made up of sluggish oafs apparently. They dont move too well.

To rectify this I used the wiki suggestions on crosstraining (sweatshop pump operators), combined with setting a food and drink pile, and some private rooms to sleep right nearby. I didnt bother with burrows.

I am not 100% if my pumps are what is causing the loss in weight, or if it's the fact the food stockpile contains only Plump Helmets (my chef is quite far away and had been producing lavish meals lately).

Well, it's been about 30 minutes ingame RL time and I have finally seen an improvement. Endurance and strength are rising, and body fat is dropping (Corpulant to Very Fat, Very Fat to Fat, etc).

I set the military units to only Pump Operator in DTherapist, removed them from the squad as well so they would focus on getting fit.

Later I am going to work in a rotation where they spend time off duty and can maintain their shape while not guarding in the archer tower or my mass-pit. I'm also trying to use up all my prepared food stocks, and once that's done I will only produce the basic meals (biscuits IIRC).

Since I spent a while looking for this solution but didnt find it, I figured I'd put this down here for others with the same problem.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Are your dwarves overweight? Here's how I solved it...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »

I didnt realize well fed peasants in the 1300s was a problem :P

But do you know if they faster because they have less fat or simply more muscle?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »

I didnt realize well fed peasants in the 1300s was a problem :P

But do you know if they faster because they have less fat or simply more muscle?

I would guess both are factors - but in the case of my military I'd definitely want both strong and fit bodies.

The workers can be as fat as they want them to be - there's no rush for them. They all have backups anyways  ;)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:40 am »

I've never heard anyone complain about fat dwarfs, but I do know that skill increase and armor user skill can help a lot. Can someone confirm that fat affects combat/running performance in DF?

(IRL, sure you want fit soldiers, but I'd also like soldiers who can stay off the booze while on duty ;-) )

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:52 am »

(IRL, sure you want fit soldiers, but I'd also like soldiers who can stay off the booze while on duty ;-) )

Ah, but in Dwarf Fortress the situation is reversed, a sober dwarf = a drunk human!
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:46 am »

Fat dwarves are more resistant to damage.

Your results actually surprise me, though; I thought that dwarf fatness didn't actually vary over their lifetime yet.

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:32 am »

Fat dwarves are more resistant to damage.

Your results actually surprise me, though; I thought that dwarf fatness didn't actually vary over their lifetime yet.

Dunno, but I am tracking a control group.

Ex:

'R00' Kidetoddom Kilrudkutam, Captain:

Original profile > 2 years later

Corpulant > Incredibly Muscular
Very Agile > Extremely Agile
Strong > Mighty
Slow to tire > Slow to tire

Additionally he has gained:

Quite Durable

During this time he's been rotated via scheduling from on duty to off, typically eats Plump Helmets, drinks booze, has partaken in copious amounts of training and live target practice, and works out on the pumps when off duty.

I've checked all the other members of the control group and the only worry I have is the Extremely Thin member has not bulked up at all and is now the only slow-moving member of the group.

I'm not entirely sure if drinking booze will effect "dwarven" military performance....  ???

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:40:41 am »

Are you sure that food has any effect? Somehow I can't believe that there is much differences between "raw food" and prepared food. I'll try this without changing the food and check if it will be as effective training as yours.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:04:44 am »

Fat affects the speed of a Dwarf. A fat civilian will haul things slower, and a fat Guard will do combat slower, until the next release where combat speed is split off. Generally guards have little trouble keeping the weight off if they're set to train. Weight gain caused by idle time, IIRC. Fat is a layer of protection, but if you burn it off in a controlled manner you'll make your dwarves harder to kill, and look at. I also founn this on the wiki.
Obese dwarves cause more CPU usage due to insulation calculations at maximum fatness. Bug:5971

I didn't realize well fed peasants in the 1300s was a problem :P
I remember hearing somewhere that there were a lot of fat people during the great depression. History channel maybe.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:45 am »

I'm pretty sure it does, but in my experience the changes are slow enough that it's hard to see.  I'm pretty sure I've had some fat creatures get fatter over a few game years.

I'm surprised that 30 game minutes is enough to see a tangible difference here.  I once set up a pump gym for my soldiers and had my fat duchess spend her free time in there to get in shape.  Her fatness level never went down by any amount I could see, even after a game year or so.  If I'd have known more about DFHack at the time, I probably could have gathered some more concrete data on it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:44 am »

Somebody needs to tracks the effects of starvation.  Animals without adequate pasture lose fat through even one winter.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:49:29 pm »

I suspect that dwarves put on fat when they eat certain things. Plants generally give slimmer dwarves.

They can still be very strong and fast in addition to being fat. And the fat itself is probably preferred, honestly. Making that tissue layer bigger makes it a bit harder to reach the vital organs (more muscle also does this), but the fat does slow them down a bit.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »

I'm reasonably confident that the game doesn't make any distinction on a meal's caloric value, so plants probably give the same amount of fat as tallow roasts.  For now anyway.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:09 pm »

Massive feasting and outrageous eating excess are a cherished part of dwarven culture.

Its not fat that my dwarves have, its dwarfy muscle

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

I'm reasonably confident that the game doesn't make any distinction on a meal's caloric value, so plants probably give the same amount of fat as tallow roasts.  For now anyway.  :)
I think it's more of a distinction between "animal products" and "non-animal products". I only notice fat dwarves when my fortress has a booming hunting industry. Then again, my perceptions may have been inaccurate, as I didn't keep very stringent records on it.
Pages: [1] 2