Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Adventures of a Void Warrior: Locked  (Read 6513 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Adventures of a Void Warrior: Locked
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:10:28 pm »

Welcome to "From the Void" which is my first suggestion game.  I normally would never consider myself a writer but I kind of felt a little inspired to create something myself after reading some of the work from both GUNINANRUNIN as well as King DZA.  So thanks for the inspiration guys, hope this is even a fraction as good as what you guys put out for people.

Since this is my first suggestion game, I'm not entirely sure how I want this to work and I may very well change things as I go along.  I've kind of made up a basic underlying mechanic for how everything operates including skills, attributes, health, size, encumbrance, yada yada.  I'm probably going to keep most of this stuff under the hood unless you all really want to see it and as I said, it may change quite a few times as I go along.  Please bear with me if you notice these changes and feel free to give me advice or recommendations if there is anything I've done that you think could be done better.  (That includes my writing skills :P)

Spoiler: World Lore (click to show/hide)

Turn 1

Scarlet rivers wind through the azure sky high above the dark gray fields you stand upon.  All around you march the grand and formidable legions of the Great Host with uncountable more fighting all throughout the many known realms at the behest of your lords.  Far behind you reaching up through the Void is the Citadel of Dreams.   Deep inside, your master The Sleeping Lord lies as he has for all time with his highest servants still trying to raise him from slumber.  Twinkling lights on occasion spark up in the distance reminding you of time spent on a battleship long ago before you were called back here to stand at the master's gate.  Idly you wonder how many more years you might be stuck here before another chance to prove your worth and advance through the ranks of the Host presents itself.  Guard duty isn't nearly as interesting as scorching worlds and crushing your enemies once was.

Before you and your assigned legion, a gateway shimmers to life and begins its insane twisting of the space around it.  Truly the sacrifice used in opening such a gate must be great indeed for this one is both large and powerful enough to transport a thousand of your kind through it into the Center Plane.  Mortal Sorcerers do love to open a void portal to kill off tough enemy armies or fortifications although normally they are smart enough to make a deal with a Void Lord before they open the portal into his realm.  Well that isn't exactly a problem for you, it's more of an opportunity.

Innumerable void spawn, twisted little creatures encompassing more features than could ever be described, excitedly scurry around you and the others towards the portal.  Many of your fellow Void Warriors raise a mighty battle cry and begin a charge towards the vortex as well.

You aren't sure what's on the other side but your kind rarely let an opportunity to gain entry to the central plane pass.  The chance to impress your masters might mean a promotion isn't so far off after all.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:38:14 am by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Void: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:13 pm »

Find a vantage point and watch the carnage

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:32:09 pm »

Find a vantage point and watch the carnage
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:25 pm »

Oi. Stop. You'll make me start a horrible Jorn game.

Onward to glory!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »

Join the charge, striving to reach the portal first!

Oh dear, now I'll have to make a hypothetical TorZon game that'll die in a week.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »

It is always a great honor to see one's own literary works serve to inspire others in the crafting of their own tales.

Oi. Stop. You'll make me start a horrible Jorn game.
Oh dear, now I'll have to make a hypothetical TorZon game that'll die in a week.

Suggestion games for ALL THE CHOSEN ONES!

Swagger on through that gateway

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »

Turn 2

A maniacal grin spreads across your pale gnarled face as you burst into a sprint towards the gateway.  The portal, as magnificently large and powerful as it may be, will still only allow so many to pass through it before the enchantment wanes in power and the gate closes for a time.  You have no intention of waiting to get to the other side.

You excitedly spring through the portal and feel your very being stretched out across infinity.  Landing on the other side, you maintain your pace running forward while professionally scanning the surroundings.  Around you stretches a scene that could easily pass for a nightmare realm of your lord.  The ground is burnt from the scorching effects of flame artillery shells that still rain down from the sky filled with a few remaining ships.  Strewn across this desolate hell scape are the bodies of nearly two thousand human soldiers in varying states of wholeness.  Many men lie screaming in pain while they cradle broken bones, hewn limbs and the deceased bodies of once living friends.  Dozens of wrecked battleships project themselves upward from the encircling fields of ash as if in taunting mimicry of tombstones for the fallen.  Ahead of you lie two armies still engaged in bitter conflict, both still about 2 thousand strong.  At the forefront of each army are soldiers wearing the typical poor quality armaments that low levels grunts are so often thrown into conflict with.  Alongside them are a still considerable amount of tougher looking men wearing heavier plate armor like yourself and slicing through lesser men with the skill of trained killers.  Towards the middle of each army, well protected artillery rains death upon the enemy and on occasion friendly troops.

The majority of each side's forces seem as of yet unaware of the rampaging hordes set forth upon them by the unknown Sorcerer... Speaking of, you quickly look around yet again, this time hoping to spot whomever opened the gate.  Not yet so far in the distance you spot a small speeder ship zipping away at fast speeds away from the battlefield.  Knowing full well that you would not catch him even if you wanted, you turn your attention back to the action.

While your less intelligent comrades blindly surge forward in search of combat and glory, you more wisely seek out a vantage point.  Climbing upon one of the smaller less damaged battleships, you give a quick survey of the surroundings while deeply inhaling the intoxicating smells of battle.  The front lines of void spawn are quickly nearing the enemy, now slowly becoming aware of the new threat.  Behind the front line are many more void spawn mixed with a not inconsiderable number of minor void warriors.  Looking back towards the gateway you see that before it closed, a higher ranking void warrior, most likely a major by the looks of things is preparing the 35 siege beasts and 20 flame artillery launchers that made it out of the gate.  Veering your view back to the battle, you admittedly aren't too sure what is being fought over but does it really matter?

You muse about running over and hopping on a siege beast considering that you are trained to ride one.  That said, it would certainly paint you a bigger target and both sides ahead seem to have air support which your side does not.  You also could rush ahead with your fellows and get gory with some melee combat or maybe even work on your Manipulation abilities a little bit by hurling some lightning... Your keen eyes then spot a damaged yet still intact transport vessel lying a few hundred meters away.  Well that would open up a whole bunch of new opportunities if you could manage to fly it out of here without getting shot down.  There are many ways you could serve your master and gain power that don't involve direct fighting...

One thing that should be kept in mind though is that if the nearby gate infrastructure is damaged, the portal will not be able to recharge and be used to return home.  Then you would have to set up a sacrifice yourself to get back should you desire.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Sure thing peanut man!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »

To the shuttle!
Sig! Onol

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:16 pm »

Funk, your profile picture is pretty funny.  What's it from?
Sure thing peanut man!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:51 pm »

Funk, your profile picture is pretty funny.  What's it from?
It makes me think of Jane Austen's Mafia. Not sure other than that.
Sig! Onol

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »

Is aforementioned transport vessel a sea ship or an air ship?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:49 pm »

It's an airship/spaceship powered by magic.  It's a troop transport so it has a decent hull but it's already a bit damaged although not enough that it isn't operational.  It also might have some weapon systems but nothing too impressive because its primary purpose is transportation.  Kind of depends on what you guys end up rolling.  Bad roll gets no weapons, good roll gets lightning arc turrets and a really good roll will get you something extra with it.

Edit:  You can pretty much always assume I'm talking about airships/spaceships.

The in game term will probably be void ships or void cruisers.  Still thinking about it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:18:34 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »

Oooh. I want that ship now. Even if we get a bad roll. I want it.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »

I suppose I also should have described the siege beast. :))

Think of a really big dark grey lobster, about elephant height but much longer with a bunch of armored legs, two big claws and shoulder mounted flame mortars and a tail mounted lightning arc turret.  The claws are incredibly quick and can cause a lot of damage.

If you want an idea of what the claws are capable of, look up the mantis shrimp and think of that on a much larger scale.
Sure thing peanut man!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »

CALL ON VOID LORD TO FUSE THE SHIP AND THE SIEGE BEAST
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5