Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42832 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #420 on: July 04, 2013, 01:02:43 am »

Did he now? If so, I apologize for being an idiot. Hearing 'murica and those three words in a same paragraph throws me into an uncontrollable rage makes me mildly displeased.
You could, you know, go up and check what he said instead of asking, "did he now?".

Don't think that was meant to be phrased as a literal question.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 04, 2013, 01:10:22 am »

Did he now? If so, I apologize for being an idiot. Hearing 'murica and those three words in a same paragraph throws me into an uncontrollable rage makes me mildly displeased.
Actually, I meant both unions. Funny it is that while both complain to defend the same values, they're not really compatible.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

You could, you know, go up and check what he said instead of asking, "did he now?".

Don't think that was meant to be phrased as a literal question.
There's also the "if so".
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:29 am »

The turkish foreign minister and an AKP speaker have condemned the military coup in Egypt. Looks like that one hit too close to home.

The source for the AKP speaker is in german, the quote is "I curse the dirty coup in Egypt."  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:26:40 am by XXSockXX »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »

How are the strikes affecting the economy? Owlbread, I'm waiting for those pictures.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »

I'm not even sure if there are any strikes. The protests seem to continue, though on a much smaller scale. I didn't see anything about it in the media in a while now, even if it was the big story here last month. Last thing I heard was a 5th casualty officially confirmed.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2013, 02:58:15 pm »

No news from Leatra too...almost a week now.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »

Well, he said he wouldn't have much internet access over the summer. But apparently the protests aren't as big anymore since the Gezi Park camp was cleared. The media seems to have lost interest a bit too. At least the german wikipedia has a day to day overview of the protests with turkish sources.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

Media's attention reverted to Egypt when the millitary did their "democratic adjustment" there. Apparently there's only one camera available in the Middle East/North Africa region.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:17:43 pm by olemars »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »

That is certainly part of it. I would have expected german media to stay closer on the topic, with Turkey being not that far and the Turkish minority's interest in events there, but it seems with less happening in Turkey and more stuff happening elsewhere, this is how things go.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

Thanks for mentioning the german wikipedia updates. Any ideas on who's maintaining it? The English version only goes up to the 30th.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »

Just some interested users I guess, some of them Turkish-speaking since lots of sources are in Turkish. As I said, it was a big thing here for aforementioned reasons. Berlin-centered newspapers seem to still write about it a bit, probably due to the large Turkish community there.
I'll leave a link here, in case anybody is interested. Google translator pretty much sucks with German though.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2013, 11:58:06 am »

Thanks for the information. How big are the general strikes? What impact are they having? Is Erdogan's internal party support weakening?
There is some infighting between AKP politicians but since most of them are like leeches sucking power and wealth out of this country, I'm sure they won't abandon their daddy Erdoğan.

Worker class didn't have a big effect. They dropped the job for a few days, joined the protests for a short time, but that's it. It's appalling. I know Erdoğan is a powerful dictator but I don't think unions would sell themselves. The majority of the protestors are students right now.

How many cops are defecting?
Well, the word is the pressure on cops caused a few of them to commit suicide but I'm not sure if it's true or not. They would probably use it in the media like "Protestors killed a peaceful police officer!" or something like that. Only 3-5 cops resigned. The police force is a little different in Turkey. It's a long story but to become a cop you have to join Fetullah Gülen's cult. If you are in Fetullah's cult they give you the exam answers so you'll have no difficulty in the academy. You get some fundamentalist brainwashing from there after you graduate. That explains why there aren't many cops defecting and the hatred they display when engaging the protestors. It's possible to become a cop without getting mixed in with the cult but it's like there are 5-10 cops in every 300 recruits. Fetullah Gülen is Erdoğan's best pal so AKP is cool with it. Two fundamentalist idiots scratching each others backs. You guys must have heard about it, it's nothing new.

Yup, using tear gas is banned under the third Geneva conference, together with all other poison gasses (ie, they didn't make an exception). Which is a fairly sad thing, as house to house fighting could be greatly simplified with it.
Hmm, it's kind of funny how it's allowed on unarmed people. They should at least don't fire them into apartments. Gas bombs can be really dangerous when it activates inside a building. And when they fire it into a closed window, the glass can get into your eye or something because of the canister's momentum. The glass tends to slow down the canister at least.

Or someone that know that the soldier ain't going to shoot to kill and doesn't have the gear to answer in a non-lethal fashion.
A soldier loyal to the government won't shoot to kill. Tear gassing soldiers is a great way to incite a coup.
No soldier is loyal to government in Turkey but they don't seem likely to start a coup right now. Erdoğan threw a lot of high-ranking soldiers into jail so the military is kinda harmless for now.

The turkish foreign minister and an AKP speaker have condemned the military coup in Egypt. Looks like that one hit too close to home.

The source for the AKP speaker is in german, the quote is "I curse the dirty coup in Egypt."  :)
Oh whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when your ideological buddy gets his ass kicked and there is the possibility of the same thing happening to you? Yeah, that's what happens when you use religions to further your personal agenda. That's why I believe religions are harmful to humanity. The corrupted politicians are getting what's coming to them, I just hope we will have a less bloody (and coupless) version of Egypt.

No news from Leatra too...almost a week now.
Heh, sorry. I don't have internet at home and I'm kind of busy these days.

Well, he said he wouldn't have much internet access over the summer. But apparently the protests aren't as big anymore since the Gezi Park camp was cleared. The media seems to have lost interest a bit too. At least the german wikipedia has a day to day overview of the protests with turkish sources.
Well, there are still things happening here and there. Here is a summary.

A festival named "1. Gas-Man Festival" took place in Taksim. There were lots of dancing. A lot of artists and musicians showed their support to the protestors. No police intervention. They couldn't dare.

AKP opened the Gezi Park for the people, (a poor attempt at gathering the loyalists there if you ask me) and then quickly closed it again when people started protesting them again. These AKP guys are funny.

Another dead. A man was beaten to death by AKP loyalists. This increases the official dead count to five.

An AKP loyalist carrying a machete attacked the protestors. You can see him attacking a woman here. I saw the video of this man casually chatting with police with the machete in his hands but I can't find it right now. You know, this passive resistance bullshit can sometimes get on your nerves.

I think I already told about this but I'm gonna do it again anyway. A mosque (Dolmabahçe Mosque) which was very close to Taksim was turned into a temporary hospital. Here is a recording from the mosque. Erdoğan's comment? "They walked into that sacred mosque with their dirty shoes and they even drank alcohol in there!" The müezzin (The person who issues the call to prayer from one of the minarets of a mosque, the weird Arabian words you hear from mosques comes from these fellas) comment? "I'm a man of Allah. I cannot lie. I didn't see anyone drinking in the mosque" Ba-dum-tish!

There are more but that's all I can share atm. I'll log in more regularly from now on though. Feel free to ask any questions

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 14, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »

Glad to hear from you.
Okay so the situation is mainly with students now and the media has lost interest too since nothing 'big' is happening, was really curious because of the media silence on it, I thought it died off or something.
I found that out reading this, really strange the tear gas is not allowed to be used by soldiers but allowed for police.
Well, the word is the pressure on cops...
"The word is", I always wanted to say that...it feels like in the movies.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 15, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »

Are they still calling all this 'the Arab Spring'?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32