Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42843 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:29 am »

Just standing there seems to become a real trend. There's people all over Istanbul now doing it. A clever tactic, so far police can't really do much about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2013, 05:23:06 am »

Is it Ataturk or Erdohan on next to the flag?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2013, 05:25:44 am »

The statement to the police is what really ties it together beautifully, for me.

"I'm waiting for someone"
"Who?"
"[name of person killed by police]"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2013, 05:27:56 am »

Is it Ataturk or Erdohan on next to the flag?
Atatürk. That's the Ataturk Cultural Center mentioned in the article above, I think.

The statement to the police is what really ties it together beautifully, for me.

"I'm waiting for someone"
"Who?"
"[name of person killed by police]"
Right. That is what other people tell the police too, it seems. I've read about a woman in Ankara who stood at a place where a protester was killed and said she waited for him. If you google "duranadam" and "durankadin" you can see lots of pictures of people just standing around in cities.
That's the woman I think:
More people standing there:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:37:34 am by XXSockXX »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2013, 06:20:07 am »

So wait, that was the thing they were going to demolish because it isn't quake safe. Strange, as their overhauled it five years ago.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:37 am »

So wait, that was the thing they were going to demolish because it isn't quake safe. Strange, as their overhauled it five years ago.
Atatürk Cultural Center? As a matter of fact, it came close to getting demolished by itself because of the overwhelming number of protestors inside the building. People are rather careful with that place now. Of course, the government only cares about if their mosques are standing tall. I'm telling you, this love they have with minarets is... unsettling.

That "standing man" protest got really famous. It showed how stupid police can get, arresting people who are standing still and whatnot. Yeah, burn protestor tents all you want but at least don't arrest people who are "waiting for a friend".

I thought the internet generally sees OC as a good thing?
I wouldn't know, never been to Orange County.

German media have reported that they mixed something into the water (a politician visiting Gezi Park got sprayed), but didn't explain what exactly it was.
Someone from the green party, if I remember right. We are getting famous for our quality pepper spray now. No advertisement could be better than this.

Turkish pepper spray! Not only your eyes will bleed out, you will have a beatiful red skin and you will puke your guts out for hours! Weight loss guaranteed! Call us now! First 100 buyers will get a gas grenade launcher so they can shoot your friends in the head!

EDIT: I'm on a hurry now, but can you guys do a "christiane amanpour takvim" search in Google and laugh your asses off at ass-licking Turkish media's desperate attempts? They actually seem like they believe their own lies,
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:25:03 pm by Leatra »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 20, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »

Amanpour was quoted as saying that petroleum, alcoholic beverage companies and finance lobbies had "threatened" the network into covering the anti-government protests that rocked Turkey.
Big Oil, Big Business and Big Beer, truly the fiendish Trifecta of Evil behind it all.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:11 pm »

Someone from the green party, if I remember right. We are getting famous for our quality pepper spray now. No advertisement could be better than this.

EDIT: I'm on a hurry now, but can you guys do a "christiane amanpour takvim" search in Google and laugh your asses off at ass-licking Turkish media's desperate attempts? They actually seem like they believe their own lies,
Yeah, it was Claudia Roth, leader of the Green Party (they have 2, the other one, Cem Özdemir, had visited Gezi Park earlier). She got a bit of criticism for putting herself in such a situation, but overall it made for a big story. Turkey is still a big story anyways, but a first-hand account of a politician who said "This was like war" gets attention.

It's incredibly idiotic that they thought they'd get away with that fake Amanpour interview in this day and age. Though their intended audience are probably rural or conseravtive people who are unlikely to check up on this on the internet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 20, 2013, 06:41:59 pm »

Amanpour was quoted as saying that petroleum, alcoholic beverage companies and finance lobbies had "threatened" the network into covering the anti-government protests that rocked Turkey.
Big Oil, Big Business and Big Beer, truly the fiendish Trifecta of Evil behind it all.

Just throw in a bit of anti-semitism in there (international Jewish conspiracy) and we've got the ball rolling.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2013, 06:48:30 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if Israel is flattered by all the things that are attributed to them. If they were really as competent as they are said to be they long since would have taken over the world (And of course promptly handed it over to their alien lizardman masters. That is what Judaism is about, right?).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:05 pm »

(And of course promptly handed it over to their alien lizardman masters. That is what Judaism is about, right?)

Yes. Now take your Lizard yamaka, bubi.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 21, 2013, 04:41:04 am »

Turkey divided more than ever by Erdoğan's Gezi Park crackdown - The Guardian

First page of Google News. Seems there's finally some international attention to this issue.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 21, 2013, 04:48:30 am »

Sometimes I wonder if Israel is flattered by all the things that are attributed to them. If they were really as competent as they are said to be they long since would have taken over the world
You know, antisemitic consensus seems to be that they already have taken over, that you don't realize that just proves how well they are hiding the truth.

Just throw in a bit of anti-semitism in there (international Jewish conspiracy) and we've got the ball rolling.

Unfortunately (but not unexpectedly) we already had that ball rolling a few pages ago:
Wow Turkey, you just went full Arab. Erdogan is blaming the Jews for the protests. Never go full Arab.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:48 am »

i know it is sometimes conflated by people on both sides, but anti-zionism and anti-semitism aren't the same thing. one can reasonably argue that there is a zionist "conspiracy". there is in fact a jewish nation colonizing the middle east and it does hold considerable influence with the US and other western governments, and often engages in covert operations

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2013, 10:24:46 am »

Yeah, it was Claudia Roth, leader of the Green Party (they have 2, the other one, Cem Özdemir, had visited Gezi Park earlier). She got a bit of criticism for putting herself in such a situation, but overall it made for a big story. Turkey is still a big story anyways, but a first-hand account of a politician who said "This was like war" gets attention.

It's incredibly idiotic that they thought they'd get away with that fake Amanpour interview in this day and age. Though their intended audience are probably rural or conseravtive people who are unlikely to check up on this on the internet.
Damn right. The ignorance runs deep in rural areas. They probably believed that fake interview. The backlash means nothing to Takvim (the newspaper that created this lie), they know they managed to catch the attention of people from rural areas and it's enough for them.

Turkey is a country where the poor is voting for an Islamist right party and the middle income people (I don't like saying "middle class") is voting for a Kemalist centre-left party. Rich people... well, it depends. If they something to gain from a government like this, they side with AKP, if not, then they side with a leftist party.

AKP resorts to vote-buying all the time, and the poor is happy with all the help they are getting so they keep voting for AKP. There is also the rumor of rigged elections. Some people from the communist party catched some people rummaging through a ballot box. Not sure if it's true or not.

Erdoğan's authoritarian ways were still easy to notice years earlier. I mean, do you guys have a Barrack Obama University there? We have an university named after Erdoğan, and some mosques and high schools named after him too. When a country starts naming schools, mosques and even universities after the PM, than it ought to hint you something about the regime.

My university has the picture of the guy just at the entrance, and I have to see that dictator every fucking time when I have lessons. I don't think my university is in love with him, but taking the pic town would attract unwanted attention. At least we don't have his statue.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32