Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Least productive game development  (Read 8509 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Least productive game development
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 09:19:26 am »

It depends how you look at it. I tend to view "early access" games as an iterative thing. I buy it as-is, and then am given each iterative update they do to the product. So something like Minecraft, I wouldn't count as having a protracted development in the same way say...Duke Nukem Forever did.

Project Zomboid did have this for a bit pre-"release" but that's because of the losing source code and what-not...although why they didn't have the source code in something like a private repository on Bitorous I'll never know...Keep your code in source control and commit regularly, project code management 101.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 10:45:39 am »

I'm normally Mr Positive around here but I thought we could all have fun with this topic. What game or Dev team do you think has the slowest progress?

For me it's a toss up between Project Zomboid

Zomboid feels like a scam at this point. Losing source code my ass.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 07:50:05 am »

Starcraft Ghost.
Beat me to it! :P Though considering it is actually listed as "indefinitely postponed" right now I'm kind of hesitant to include it in a category based on its current development.

As for DF I don't think it really belongs here. The actual category is "Least productive game development", not "slowest game development". DF might go very long periods between releases, but as Toady's dev log updates show that time is certainly spent doing things, it's just that our ability to personally use said developments is delayed.

The issue mostly with a thread like this is that for the most part people don't have any true gauge of productivity because for the most part they cannot see how hard it is to develop for that specific game.

Dwarf Fortress for example is just a very slow development but it isn't a "least productive"

Least Productive in this case can have two definitions but the important thing to remember is that an unproductive game is either losing time not developing or is losing development because it is unproductive.

StarCraft Ghost isn't so much unproductive as it is not being developed.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:40 am »

I'm normally Mr Positive around here but I thought we could all have fun with this topic. What game or Dev team do you think has the slowest progress?

For me it's a toss up between Project Zomboid

Zomboid feels like a scam at this point. Losing source code my ass.

I have completely lost even the slightest glimpse of hope I had left for the game the moment I read that the game is going to use Xbox pad as default controller. I mean, what the @$%!. In what universe does that make any bit of sense? They've been under 'alpha' development for years and years, been through lots of hoax and unfortunate series of events that caused quite a stir, and yet they don't seem to know how not to give a massive finger to their customers. I purchased the game years ago. When I did, there was NO mentioning of the game being a console port wannabe that absolutely, positively requires a Xbox pad to be played. Their response to the question why the game suddenly became a shoddy xbox port look-a-like is truely golden. 'XBox pads are awesome though.' Really. That's their response. You may as well check their development news out yourself. The game now features split screen multiplayer simply because online multiplayer is really hard to implement. I'm not even trying to sound offensive or funny here, that's essentially what they said. I am both baffled and shocked at the same time at their inability to keep up to their own motherlovin promises.

I, at this point, am desperately trying to get a refund, but chances are that they will hillariously threaten me with 'adding me to the global credits blacklist' or something like the WarZ developers did.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:47 am »

Starcraft Ghost.
Beat me to it! :P Though considering it is actually listed as "indefinitely postponed" right now I'm kind of hesitant to include it in a category based on its current development.

As for DF I don't think it really belongs here. The actual category is "Least productive game development", not "slowest game development". DF might go very long periods between releases, but as Toady's dev log updates show that time is certainly spent doing things, it's just that our ability to personally use said developments is delayed.

The issue mostly with a thread like this is that for the most part people don't have any true gauge of productivity because for the most part they cannot see how hard it is to develop for that specific game.

I agree. The intended tone of this thread was a superficial expression of frustration for slow development of games that have been promised/hyped for a long time. This is neither the time, place or format for a more in-depth appraisal of development. I think a lot of confusion happens when a studio stops working on a game but cannot get approval from their legal department to announce that development has ceased which leads to general hurt feelings.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 12:03:30 pm »

What? what does zomboid has to do with an Xbox controller? how does split screen multiplayer works in that game? last i checked it, it had this wife turning zombie drama. are we talking polygamy now or did they abandon the story elements alltogether?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 12:26:33 pm »

What? what does zomboid has to do with an Xbox controller? how does split screen multiplayer works in that game? last i checked it, it had this wife turning zombie drama. are we talking polygamy now or did they abandon the story elements alltogether?
I have absolutely no idea, no idea at all. They say that they wanted to give the players a treat by introducing a multiplayer mode as it was promised, but as we all know, online multiplayer takes a whole new level of dedication and funds, which in turn led them to introduce a split screen multiplayer 'for now'. I am not going to fall for a wishful thinking that they are going to implement a real online version anytime soon, if at all. I've seen many people making grand claims like that, and many have ended up in the lowest cess pool of mankind's history of making promises and not delivering them. Not saying that the devs are piss poor liars, more along the line that given how they've been handling things, you may as well think that they are not going to be implemented.

As for the Xbox controller...

There really isn't any excuse. No comment on that one.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2013, 12:35:07 pm »

I'd add battlefront 3, but it doesn't really count. Even so, real shame, I hope they pick it up someday.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 08:25:03 am »

I'd add battlefront 3, but it doesn't really count. Even so, real shame, I hope they pick it up someday.
with the EA license pickup it would be a disgrace to not see DICE working on this.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:22 am »

Blizzard's Titan team might win this now. 70 of the 100 person dev team has been reassigned and the whole project has reportedly been scratched and restarted. The earliest release date now would be sometime in 2016.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10:37 pm »

Blizzard's Titan team might win this now. 70 of the 100 person dev team has been reassigned and the whole project has reportedly been scratched and restarted. The earliest release date now would be sometime in 2016.

Totally called it! The tinfoil hat conspiracist in me says WoW wasn't doing as poorly as they thought.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]