Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 428127 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2013, 02:06:20 am »

Well, it's good to know that we can't train our strength the traditional way. How odd, given the realness of other things. But then again, no hunger or drowsiness...

I suggest we create a better portfolio of our math skills than "Um, High School math?" Here's the skills I know mike will have for sure:
-Quadratic/Linear graphs and equations. In terms of finance and statistics, that means we can do projections, educated estimates, and predictions.
-Algebra, finding an unknown by extracting from a known.
-Geometry, a very practical and tactical math skill. Very important for engineering, architecture, surveying.

I was kind of hoping we could use audience knowledge to fake a background in some of these things. I for one know how to approximate the load-bearing capacity of an arch.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:30 am »

I suggest we create a better portfolio of our math skills than "Um, High School math?" Here's the skills I know mike will have for sure:
-Quadratic/Linear graphs and equations. In terms of finance and statistics, that means we can do projections, educated estimates, and predictions.
-Algebra, finding an unknown by extracting from a known.
-Geometry, a very practical and tactical math skill. Very important for engineering, architecture, surveying.
Well those are the terms that we define them in. Those words don't have any meaning in Morrowind. He didn't know what Algebra was, so unless we can figure out how to explain that we're good at math in his own terms, that won't help at all. I think its safe to assume that we're experts at 'metamagical' calculations, so we could try throwing that around a bit. He did seem impressed by our solving his equation, and Michael said it was easy, so we're probably the greatest mathematician who ever lived around here.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2013, 02:20:22 am »

What I said is our explaination: "Using mathematics, I can find unknown numbers just by calculating with known ones. Around here that seems mainly used for metamagical problems, but where I come from we use it for many practical and statistical purposes."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2013, 02:32:20 am »

Makes sense.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:56 am »

I just don't understand what you guys are trying to accomplish. You're talking to a low-rank supply clerk. What do you expect him to do for you? Be impressed with your math skills and hand you gear? That doesn't make sense. Even if you impress "the legion" what do you expect them do for you? Take you off guard duty and sit you down with their mages and talk math all day long instead? Does that really serve any of your goals? Are you trying to get accounting duties instead of guard duties? Do you really want this game to be about sitting at a desk doing double entry accounting to track debits and credits for scrib jerky supplies? Are you trying to get more pay than the standard 100 gold per month? Ok, let's say you double your pay to handle basic accounting instead of guard duty. 200 gold per month instead of 100 per month. So hypothetically after a month invested, you get to sit at a desk earning 200 gold per month. So just imagine fast forwarding 6 weeks from now...at double pay, here you are 60 days later and you get handed 200 gold. Yay. Meanwhile, any 3-day-old adventurer is getting gold by the thousands doing quests and selling magic loot.

What are you trying to accomplish? Is this really the best way to do it? You guys were talking about becoming god half a dozen episodes ago. Has anything you've done since then moved you closer to your goals? I just don't understand what you guys are trying to accomplish. Sure, maybe you have some skills that are unusual here. But how does impressing a supply clerk help you?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2013, 03:44:55 am »

I can understand how this might be a bit frustrating from your point of view, but I think most of us are having a lot of fun just tooling around and seeing what we can see. This really is an interesting game you've got.

But if you want goals, I did suggest that we keep training until we can go ask the orc out.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2013, 03:54:38 am »

I suppose if you guys are having fun...that is kind of the point, so maybe my concerns are unjustified. But from my point of view...remember that you guys crashed Vivec's palace on like day two of play, and we spent three episodes discussing extradimensional metaphysics. So to go from that to trying to prove yourself worthy of being an accounting clerk...just seems like a bit of a step backwards.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2013, 04:11:25 am »

Yeah, but, like, a lot of us know 'bout extradimensional metaphysics. Mundanity is so much more interesting! :P

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2013, 05:47:33 am »

Well... So far, we have asked everyone to teach us magic. Why haven't we tried to teach it to ourselves?

My suggestion is to either find beginner's or children's text on the nature of magic, or Practice the art of meditation and search for that magicka. While we may not know what to look for, or even what casting a spell and tapping our magicka feels like, we have to try.

At the very least, we should Take up Strillian's offer on scrolls. Magic is a strong tool for the weak boned man.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2013, 07:26:31 am »

So far, we have asked everyone to teach us magic.

No, so far I've given you three leads on how to learn magic, and you've completely refused to follow up on any of them.

In episode 15, Ranis Athyrs, the guild steward of the Balmora Mage guild, wrote you a personal letter of introduction for a magic trainer in Pelagiad. It's been nearly half the entire lifetime of this forum game, yet so far you've absolutely refused to go to Pelagiad and talk to the guy.

Also in episode 15, Ranis suggested another option: to join a great house and learn magic from them.

Instead of following up on either of those leads, you decided you wanted to learn necromancy...and in Episode 24 after succefully getting Sharn to talk to you and issue you a quest... which she then in Episode 25  made it very clear it was a limited time offer and that if you wanted to take her up on it you'd need to act soon...pretty much the next thing you did was join the legion and spend two weeks sitting in a barracks just to make sure there would be absolutely no possibility that her offer would still be open.

Why haven't we tried to teach it to ourselves?
find beginner's or children's text on the nature of magic

Well, how about because:

First, it was established in Episode 17 that you don't get skillgains from books, and confirmed in episode 19 when you actually read from a skillbook and didn't gain any skill from it.

Second, this from Episode 27:

Quote from: Strillian
: don't go to just any hedge wizard for training. Be sure you find someone with enough acuity that they can stop you from blasting out your internal organs if you start overchanneling.

There are mental pathways through which magicka flows, that if unused, tend to atrophy. You have to be very careful re-opening those channels for the first time as an adult, or you can destroy your mind just like you might tear your leg muscles if you tried to 'learn' how to do the splits just by yanking your legs apart."

Take up Strillian's offer on scrolls.

What offer on scrolls? Strillian never made nay offer about scrolls. This is what he said:

: I'll be teaching you some enchanting basics in week three. Not enough to enchant your gear, mind you...but you'll at least need to know how to discharge spells from a weapon like you would with scroll, and if I can get approval for it I'll grab a couple soulgems and teach you how to use them to recharge items."

Furthermore, you already know how to use scrolls. That was established in Episode 7.

: ""I was hoping to buy a scroll to cast a spell, but I don't know any magic. So...can I do that? Use a scroll to cast a spell?"

: "As long as you're able to read, yes."

: "So all I need to do is hold the scroll and read it?"

: "Pretty much."

we have asked everyone to teach us magic. Why haven't we tried to teach it to ourselves?

In Episode 15, Masalinie made it clear that learning magic would require special training, and that not just anybody could teach you.

In Episode 15, Ranis made it clear that learning magic would require special training, and that not just anybody could teach you.

In Episode 27, Strillian made it clear that learning magic would require special training, and that not just anybody could teach you.

Why won't you follow any of the three leads you've been given?

It's not like I'm trying to railroad you guys. There are probably other solutions to this problem. I wasn't my idea to learn necromancy from Sharn, but when you spoke to her I thought that was pretty reasonable and gave you a way to learn necromancy. I've handed you two ways to learn magic, and I followed your lead and made a third option available...and so far you've done everything you can to refuse to follow up on any of them.

Why?

If you absolutely don't want to go to Pelagiad, if you absolutely don't want to join a great house, if you changed your mind for whatever reason and don't want to learn necromancy after all...there are four other mage guilds you could go to. You've spent the past two weeks within shouting distance of a Telvanni mage-lord...something that I pointed that out in Episode 19 and if you don't want to talk to Baladas for whatever reason there are other Telvanni wizards. You could try talking to the Ashlanders. You could try talking to Fast Eddie. You could try talking to any number of people. Hell, maybe you could turn rogue and try talking to Dagoth Ur if you wanted to.

You've got options.

Why are you insisting on suggesting things that you already know won't work?

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2013, 08:32:58 am »

Generally when you do a quest game like this, the GM is supposed to offer 3-4 suggestions.

That's to prevent what's happening literally right now - people get ridiculously short sighted because whatever plans they wish to implement are hampered by every other single person's big master plan.

Instead you've got people trying the minimum of work so that they can have the maximum benefit - going to Pelagiad would get us hilariously lost and probably dead on multiple tangents. If we just jog around Gnisis for a few weeks and then do some fighting, I think we'll be in good shape. Then we go to Pelagiad and acquire some magic. Then we can go to a Great House with that resume and get tons of cash.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 27, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

Wow I leave for awhile and look at where we are.
LordBucket, this has been a pretty entertaining read though so I will say preemptively thank you.

Now it was always my intention for us once we finished up with getting the girl the book to head to Pelagiad to at least talk with the guy about that magic training and see what would be necessary. As for where we're at right now. I think we're pretty much stuck doing what we're doing for the time being unless we really want to go AWOL.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea. For now finish up what we're doing, get more training done and generally get better at whatever we can. When we're done, go to Pelagiad and start off from where we left off.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:43 am »

Of course, LordBucket, there have been DOZENS of suggestions to follow up on those leads, with several people posting exactly how they wanted to do so. But in order to do the Pelegiad trainer, you convinced many of us we'd need a whole pile of money, so they were opposed to going until we raised said money... which went off in a hundred different directions. You've also cautioned us not to take risks and be careful about getting killed. So we - need money, need to to do it safely, and the Legion was actually the only thing you offered us that provided a way to manage both - in addition to providing us some in-game contacts, a  bit of structure, and making further future dangerous behaviour safer (at least as advertised). I'm not surprised people took it, even though there's been general agreement about learning magic from the Pelegiad trainer at some point.

No one here has ever, to my knowledge, seriously believed we'd be able to join a great house. I don't think that option was ever seriously on the table.

And for the necromancy - I and a few others were big on that. We talked about paying the thieves guild to steal the skull. It was totally possible. But it was also dangerous, and with the "safe" Pelagiad trainer as an alternative, there was never going to be consensus on following up on that.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:52 am »

Right. Let's finish our less than two IRL weeks of legionary work and then do not re-do that fucking contract.
After that, Go to Pelagiad VIA ROAD NOT STRIDER, looking for interesting things and speaking to people along the way.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:36 am »

So, Awesomicus didn't think he was a PC, but he behaved like one, right?  I'd vote for continuing the training because Michael is still very weak, but try to make some money on the side.  Maybe he could provide some service for the legionnaires, to make septims and gain their trust and favour.  Like bring in some skooma to make the patrols less dull.

Something I'd like to mention: I would say Awesomicus is almost certainly a player character, but we referred to him as a PC, meaning he thought of a computer. I think.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 161