Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 428282 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #450 on: June 22, 2013, 01:51:07 pm »

That dude just gained a subscriber...

And a good idea, that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:33 pm »

Don't sneak up on people. They'll take note of it. Sneak up on small animals instead. It's still good practice because they'll indicate if they detect you. Scribs would be ideal, since they're not really dangerous, and will only react offensively if we try to strike them. Animals generally prefer to move away from what's bothering them instead of fighting, since it takes less effort.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 22, 2013, 02:16:57 pm »

Do not join the thieves guild. She's not going to outright tell us the major downsides to joining. If asked, and she tells us later, she'll deny that they're real downsides. Joining the thieves guild doesn't seem to serve any of our goals, whatever they are, beyond getting money. They will expect us to steal a certain amount, being a new member. Once we're found out as a thief, we'll find it even harder to meet the quotas.

What happened to good old work? See if the fighters guild will pay us polish armor, or something unskilled like that. See if any merchants will give us a few coins for helping out (organizing shelves, cleaning up, etc).

Get trained with our weapon from the fighter's guild. We'll need a bit over 100 more coins to get in. After this, we'll be armed and skilled enough to actually win a fight. We could then go looting for money, get more potions ingredients, or take quests. We should be able to scrounge up 100 gold easily enough without joining the thieves guild.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 22, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »

I'm against joining, too, but my suggestions are for if we get outvoted. If we do join, don't become a full member, just agree to sell any stolen goods to their fences. There, that's the final version of my vote on that.

I'm still for checking for honest work. The census office sounds like a good idea, but armor polishing doesn't sound like it would get us much.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:35 pm »

GM Comments

No player consensus. I see no action that has more than 1 net vote. I'm going to give you guys more time to decide what you want to do.

Also:

If there is no passive or active downsides or penalties; join the guild.
If there are any other downsides than the fence thing, don't join.

I'm not going to make decisions for you based on information you don't have.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 22, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »

We should ask if we have to do anything for the guild besides sell to their fences. If we would have to do jobs for the guild then we should opt out.

Also, we should check if we can sell non stolen goods to regular venders. If we can't, then we will end up making far too little return on any alchemy or what not.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:47:57 am by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 23, 2013, 12:07:36 am »

We should ask if we have to do anything for the guild besides sell to their fences. If we would have to do jobs for the guild then we should opt out.

+1

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:15 am »

+1
+1

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 23, 2013, 08:20:42 am »

Why are so many in favor of joining the thieves guild? The first time we hurt someone's feelings with petty theft we surpass any expectations and vow to make amends (which isn't likely to get done at this rate, and is actively making things worse, since the book is likely to be gone), and a few minutes later, (from the protagonist's perspective) here we are.

Do we even have to join now, if we're so set on it? Ask if we can delay on deciding, steal something later, then join immediately and sell what we have just stolen to their fences.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:39 am »

Ugh, this place is worthless. Leave. We're much better off doing quests than we are stealing things anyway.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 23, 2013, 09:58:01 am »

I think we are definitely losing track of what we're doing. We decided way back we wanted to be a wizard, so let's prioritize that over any thievery or fightering.

Also, I think we're still underestimating how useless we are. We are bad at most things. The world will crush us to dust if we give it a chance, so it's important at this point not to burn any bridges.

Commiting to anything illegal sounds like a great way to close a lot of doors to us.

So, here's my suggestions:

Do not join the Thieves Guild. Do not attempt to learn Necromancy. Being associated with either one will give a lot of people a reason to hate us and we can't afford to be hated until we can handle ourself better.

Attempt to acquire money through legal means, perhaps by hiring out your crazy math skills.

Try to get the remaining supplies you need for alchemy. We've already sunk a lot of resources in it and will need to sink more before it pays off, but it'll be a great long-term source of free useful items and money.

Stop futzing around and go see that person in Pelagiad about magic training. We don't even know if you can learn magic, but if you can, it'll give you the most options and survivability in the long term.

If you have to get there via Seyda Neen, find a way to wrap up that business with the book before moving on. (I'll leave the specifics to other people) That situation's just going to get worse the longer we leave it. This isn't a game where you can just ignore a quest or promise for as long as you want without people getting annoyed at you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

We learned about the Necromancy thing we came here to do.

Go back to Seyda Neen. Talk to book quest lady and tell her you at least did what you could by finding her finace's murderer, and ask her if they were engaged doesn't she have his ring to remember him by?

Practice killing some mudcabs and get some foodstuffs for later alchemy-ing.

Make sure NOT to miss our appointment with our guard friend!

The fighters guild honestly sounds like more of an "adventurers guild", and doesn't seem to have any real requirements - I think joining it is a serious option for us, unlike the Thieve's guild. But the mages guild is still where we really want to be.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 23, 2013, 10:36:48 am »

Yeah in all honestly I am starting to think it would be best to just join the Imperial Legion.  We can pick up alchemy as a side job to make extra money in addition to working with the legion and we can use all the money we make from both of those things to get mage training on our days off.  Working with the guards will give us a whole bunch of allies, new potential friends, money and will make us less of a total wimp.

Later on when we become significantly tougher and more magically powerful, we can consider moving on to join other guilds or possibly one of the great houses (I'd prefer Televanni because I get a kick out of how crazy they are).

So my suggestion is:
Meet up with our guard friend for a drink and consider joining the legion.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 23, 2013, 11:17:55 am »

With the legion, here's a few numbers based on my probably very bad maths.

Each year is twelve months, and each month we'd get 100 septims. That means one tour is 100 septims.
One tour of duty is a year. 365 days, or approximately 8760 hours, or approximately 525600 minutes.
Since a Morrowind minute is two real life seconds, (525600/60)*2 = 17520 minutes to a year. That's 292 hours, or 12 and two thirds days IRL days per Morrowind year.
Each day in Morrowind is 48 IRL minutes, if my math is right.
So, a shift is 240 minutes (5 morrowind days), or 4 hours. Then we sleep for 96 minutes, or 1.6 hours.

So, for less than two IRL weeks, we need to stand about for four hours and then sleep for 1.6 hours and then repeat until done. At the end of that, we have 1200 septims and on top of those septims, we get free training to not be a total wimp.
I doubt we'll have time in those two weeks for doing alchemy as a side job, however, since we'll be working and then sleeping. We'd also have to get used to being awake for four hours and then asleep/eating for less than two hours, and we'd also have to do that for nearly two weeks solid.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 23, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

We could make a special request to work two shifts back to back and then have two breaks back to back.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 161