Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 428217 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:21 am »

Maybe smaller updates instead? I certainly would have had more suggestions once we realized we weren't actually getting the house in exchange for the ring, for example. Since the whole point of that exercise, as I understood it, was to get the house.

This probably part of the problem, the length of the updates and how it interfaces with this style of LP.

We can only comment in between updates and when a lot of stuff happens in them there is large periods where we have no opportunity to react and adapt our suggestions. Thus people have to make short and long term suggestion at the same time to make sure its been suggested in case the update deals with it. Sin we aren't always clear on what is what we often end up running about like a headless chicken trying to deal with the current situation as it changes every update.

I am not sure I have a perfect solution, shorter but more updates would help offset the "time-lag" problem, but the forum being somewhat on the slow end, it also means that fewer will have the opportunity to suggest between updates and increase the chance of missing an opportunity to do so. 

Perhaps one could try to avoid changing towns in the middle of an update while we are so short on money? Preferably change towns in the beginning of the update and only after there is a clear consensus on doing so, to be sure we have time to finish up business in whatever place we already are?

Oh, and I would make a conditional suggestion; make sure to tell the shopkeeper to keep the book on hold for you the next chance we got. Would be bad if he sould it of before you could get the money together.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 20, 2013, 10:39:25 am »

Haha, that rant of Michael's was pretty funny but true.

Alright a couple things:

We got off for the crime regarding the book and my suggestions didn't include telling her because to be honest, I don't care.  Not entirely sure what was the deal with the ring(s)?

Money is a problem.  I haven't personally made any suggestions as far as buying things for that reason.  Rather my suggestion to obtain money was going and killing the mudcrab merchant.  It's loaded with cash and we wouldn't have to worry about it being too hard to kill or having it be reported as a crime.

The mudcrab idea was argued against on the basis that it would be too difficult to get there or too dangerous.  Considering that our original goal for obtaining money was to learn magic and buy alchemy tools, I came up with a new suggestion~

Tell the Mage's guild Orc Necromancer that we know her secret and that we want to be her apprentice.  Hopefully a cheaper way of learning magic considering our lack of funding and we get the additional bonus of necromancy knowledge.  In game if you bring it up she just tries to shut you up because she's afraid of anyone hearing.  She never actually gets violent...

Still this is a new world far different from that of the original Morrowind game.  To that end I suggest we write a note on paper saying that we know about her necromancy and would like to be her apprentice.  A note would let her know that we're not stupid enough to talk about her Necromantic Practices out loud where others can hear it.  It would also make our proposal less immediately threatening so we'd be less concerned about her killing us just to keep us from talking about it out loud or to other people.

Why are Necromancy and Daedra Magic useful in this setting?  Well you did say you wanted to become like a god... that's rather hard to do without an army.  Armies are hard to come by although much easier if you have access to Necromancy and Daedra Summoning.  Besides, right now we're rather squishy.  It could be greatly beneficial to us if we took over an abandoned Dwemer site and created a few undead minions to go on all our dangerous missions for us.  Create a few intelligent undead to lead the rest on our behalf when we're not around.  It also only takes about 20 assorted undead to take over most towns which would then give us more to work with.

But how would we get to that point?  Well it only takes about 12 skeletons to take over one of the smaller Dwemer sites.  I've tested it before with the perma glitch.  We don't have bodies unfortunately but ghosts would probably still be an option and probably just as good for getting the job done.

Not sure which necromancers were being referred to but I've met plenty of televanni necromancers in the game.  All of them are very powerful members of the televanni house who have reportedly lived for a couple thousand years.  If you do the Televanni missions they try to get one of the Necromancers to be more active in the day to day affairs of the house because they appreciate how powerful he is and respect him.  It's hard to do that because he prefers living alone to perform his studies and experiments.

To me that suggests not that all the powerful necromancers are scared and in hiding but that most of them are so preoccupied with their studies that they don't want to go out very often.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:42:10 am by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 20, 2013, 10:56:34 am »

Go to the guild. Join the guild.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 20, 2013, 11:13:53 am »

Did I PTF this yet? No? Oh, ok then...

This is a blank sig.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 20, 2013, 11:15:58 am »

Go to the guild. Join the guild.

While I would say absolutely not, I have a different suggestion. As you guys are very savvy with loot locations in the game, it could be worthwhile to talk to the Thieves' Guild. Not to completely join them, but rather strike an agreement. Having to pay a protection fee of 10% is better than a knife in the back.
That could also net us a fence, a way to find out about coating weapons with poison, and a supplier for some useful alchemical ingredients for the aforementioned poison.
But... do that later

For now, I agree with general goals of: Alchemy, sleeping place

The orc could be useful. We could bluff, and tell her that her unique perspective on magic is our real goal. It's something we admire. Other trainers couldn't teach us magic, and we are hoping she could be our saving grace. Appeal to her vanity. In return, we could warn her of various events to come to guarantee her safety.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Vrky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:27 am »

I like frequent updates!
Ask and see how much rest of alchemy set costs. Also ask if we could actually make an useful potion if we had full set, since it obviously isn't as simple as just jamming all ingredients in a pot. If we could brew potions and rest of the set is affordable, buy it and practice alchemy. Pay some gold for training if necessary.
We already invested quite a bit in alchemy so we can go further and actually benefit from it.

I advise against thieves guild, at least for now. I also advise against any attempts to confront necromancer, because she could just kill us in our sleep or something

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »

The orc could be useful. We could bluff, and tell her that her unique perspective on magic is our real goal. It's something we admire. Other trainers couldn't teach us magic, and we are hoping she could be our saving grace. Appeal to her vanity. In return, we could warn her of various events to come to guarantee her safety.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:27 pm »

Alright, a good argument.  I'm changing my vote to giving the necromancer a note, flattering her and aiming to be her apprentice.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

support

Conditional on us next being in Seyda Neen (do not go there JUST for this): Reveal to lighthouse lady that we at least identified the murder, and that we are still going to try to recover the book for her, though it may take a while, and ask if there are any other objects for her to remember him by - after all, she mentioned she was his fiance, right? Does she not have the ring he gave her?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »

I must say, I'm rather frustrated we so suddenly left Seyda Neen. It did feel like we didn't get a chance to provide further input after a surprise (the house not being free) came up. We need to go back to Seyda Neen to finish our business there, but let's get stuff done in Balmora first.

Also, let's approach the Necromancer in as non-threatening a way as possible, probably with a note. I don't know if we want explicitly to become a necromancer, but we need to make sure to get basic instruction in the schools she knows while she's teaching us. If she refuses, it might be a good idea to let her know that we still won't tell anyone. So far, no one seems to have a different personality than their game dialogue indicates, and Sharn Gro-Muzgob doesn't seem like the type to kill. In fact, if I remember correctly, she actually does teach you some necromancy conjuration in exchange for your silence if you confront her about it. I believe that the PC's character "finds out" by discovering a book in her locked container, but since we already know...

Screw the thieves' guild. What's our main motivation for joining? Getting trained. But they don't offer training in exchange for work, they offer it in exchange for money, because you still have to pay the trainers. They'd give us either low-pay lowlife jobs in accordance with our skill, or give us the quests from the game, which we aren't ready for. We'd make a lot of enemies on general principal, and the consequences of failure are harsh and long-lasting. Furthermore, learning their arts wouldn't make us that much more powerful in a fight.

Clearly our long term goal should be casting Fargoth's ring into the fires of Red Mountain.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2013, 01:48:51 pm »

Yep as nonthreatening as possible.  Also you're right about her offering the PC "necromancy" training in return for keeping quiet.  That was the main reason I suggested her.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

I'd say yeah, approach the Necromancer.

Also, we should try going swimming. Assuming we aren't attacked by slaughterfish, it's a faster way to gain athletic skill (and we could use the associated attribute gain).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2013, 04:09:52 pm »

The Balmora channel (if not the entire river) is slaughterfish free. The Morrowind variety doesn't seem to like fresh water.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 20, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

I don't see how the necromancer is beneficial. Sure, we might learn us some magic, but it's the kind that toes the line. Since we seem so set on not stepping on toes, why is this the exception? And for the love of the Nine, if we absolutely have to confront her, do not write her a note. Last thing we need is to be connected to her should something happen.

I'm also frustrated that we left Seyda Neen so soon (partially because we wasted time on that ring, but mostly because I just started another game of Morrowind :p). We're building up a reputation there. Even if we don't want to base ourselves there (who says we can't move at a later point though?) we'll still have a nice handful of people around us that don't think we're the scum of the earth. Don't let ego get in the way. Just because we had it so easy going from place to place doesn't mean we should waste Mikey's time and money doing the same. Things are different and we're still clearly struggling with that concept.

I say we stop by the South Wall or whatever and inquire about the letter we got. Even if we don't join, making connections is important, and if I recall correctly there are a few scouts we could talk to as well in that jawn.

As for the Thieves Guild, we know we don't need a fence to sell stolen goods. We sold the book pretty easily. However, at least from what I saw of it, the Thieves Guild is one of the tightest knit groups on the island. Not only does nobody have to know of our affiliation, but unless I am mistaken, and I may very well be, we won't have to worry about stepping on the toes of anyone in our faction either. As for the quests, well, we don't know how any of the guilds work in MorrowReal, do we? I expect the first job for any group is going to be a proving of sort. Would we rather take the risks trying to steal something or trying to take someone down in combat (Mages Guild is still out of the question for now I assume)? We need money as soon as possible, and stealing is the easiest way to get it. Hell, you don't even need to be stealthy so long as there's nobody around. And there's just so much to steal!

Now once again even though I'm a huge TG advocate, the Camonna Tong will likely eventually come at us. But by that point it's very likely we'll have skills and equipment enough, not to mention allies, to hold our own.

I for one am not too worried about the PC's saving and loading. Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience now, but we can use it to our advantage. If we get things in motion (regardless of our stance on the PC) early on, then if the PC wants to load before we get our shit going, then they'll have to lose a lot as well. And then we, as Mike's memory for those instances, can guide him to be even more effective. Don't think how it negatively impacts us, bros. Think about how we can manipulate what we know.

Damn, I just about wrote an update myself.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »

I was thinking not so much to learn Necromancy from Sharn, but rather see if we can get basic instruction. And besides, I bet we'd only learn how to summon a skeleton from the outer realms (or whatever the explaination was), not animate one, in terms of Necromancy.

If even a proving test from the thieve's guild goes wrong, we'd have a criminal record (or a lot less blood, due to angry marks). And even if we don't get caught in the act, people are much more likely to notice their things go missing, and will probably easily trace it to a stranger who came and sold very similar things to a nearby store. Or, if we use a fence, to a stranger who they let into their home. And in the case of a spate of thefts appearing where we visit, we'd be a likely suspect, due to our stranger status. And don't forget, the PC has likely already abused her powers to nab all the notable loot. We don't have the same protection from investigation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:06:33 pm by HugoLuman »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 161