Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bestseller: Author Simulation Game (With vices, permadeath, day jobs + more! )  (Read 11806 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Mini-games suck.  I don't want my success in school to be based on a memory game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing this game for more than a year on and off and love it. As someone who made a living(not a good one) from writing for a while, I say it's a pretty clever sim of the life. It really simulates the constant feeling that everything gets in the way of writing and that there aren't enough hours in the day. Every time I think of returning to the career I spend a day playing this game and it brings me back to reality.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW cause I know I will want to eventually pick this up on a management/life sim binge on a later date.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile

I've been playing this game for more than a year on and off and love it. As someone who made a living(not a good one) from writing for a while, I say it's a pretty clever sim of the life. It really simulates the constant feeling that everything gets in the way of writing and that there aren't enough hours in the day. Every time I think of returning to the career I spend a day playing this game and it brings me back to reality.

I think making it big as a writer is one of the hardest things to do. The business is tough, the social circles aren't very understanding, and there are too many demands on most people's attention to just ... well, sit down and write.

Congrats for having at least some success at it, though! I think most good writers never get the recognition they deserve. Sometimes I read up on an author and feel sad that he or she is still working full time in an unrelated field because they don't earn enough doing what they love (and what they're good at).

Then I read something laughably bad and discover that the writer made millions from it.

Having said all that, I should try out the game. It looks different enough to be interesting.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I should also say that this game is probably only going to be entertaining to anyone who has seriously fantasized about a career in writing. It's not a very deep game design wise but it has a lot of detail about writing in some sense. I expect his upcoming game Showtime to have a bit more mass appeal. BTW, Showtime is not a ripoff of The Movies as stated earlier, but rather a "ripoff" of Hollywood Mogul, which was an excellent text and menu based movie studio sim. Showtime appears to be a casual sim.

At first I thought he stole the Bullfrog logo, but after looking it up I see it's a bit different, but clearly inspired by:

Bullfrog                                                                      Myrtilus

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:09:04 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This entertains me greatly, as I'm living this game in real life :) My girlfriend is an aspiring and rising author herself, and I've been supporting her in that aspiration over the last few years. So yeah, this game seems to be pretty close to life :P
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Mini-games suck.  I don't want my success in school to be based on a memory game.

Why there's some sweet irony in that statement...  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Why there's some sweet irony in that statement...  :P
I'd agree with you, but actually '[language] and literature' was one of the subjects where your intelligence and creative side counted for at least as much (or more) as your memory. (I enjoyed biology a lot, and had good grades, but, boy, was it all one big game of trivial pursuit.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ohlawdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I bought the game but everything is cut off. There isn't a scroll bar either.

I'm trying to start a new game but I can't click on all of the options due to them being cut off.
Anyone know how to fix this so I can be a Douglas Adams wannabe that gets addicted to drugs (you can get addicted to drugs, right?) and impregnates every woman in Europe.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile

So I bought the game but everything is cut off. There isn't a scroll bar either.

I'm trying to start a new game but I can't click on all of the options due to them being cut off.
Anyone know how to fix this so I can be a Douglas Adams wannabe that gets addicted to drugs (you can get addicted to drugs, right?) and impregnates every woman in Europe.

Hmm, all I know is that I bought the game and downloaded the patch right away.  Have you downloaded it?  So my only experience with the game has been with the patch - maybe it's cripplingly buggy without?

You can definitely get addicted to booze and cigarettes, as for the drugs perhaps it's possible (special event?) but I haven't met a dealer yet.  Astonishingly, they don't sell them at the store.   Anyway, I believe your aspirations are entirely within the realm of the possible.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At first I thought he stole the Bullfrog logo, but after looking it up I see it's a bit different, but clearly inspired by:
*snip*
I don't see it. The Myrtilus frog looks more like it was inspired by a tree frog.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile

I'm getting this too. My google-fu has failed me. a little help?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

For the scroll bar, you have to click inside the box of text, then it will appear.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile

Not working. This is what it looks like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile

This looks cool, does anyone know how limited the demo is? Not sure if I want to spend $6 on it yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3