Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Here's some useless science about eggs  (Read 7133 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Here's some useless science about eggs
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »

... On the plus side, I discovered that eggs in nest boxes have a lower priority for cooking jobs than booze in barrels.  So setting 'make lavish meal' on repeat will make a TON of wealth very fast and cook up all the booze in your fort.  As long as you have eggs disabled in all your stockpiles.

It's known that ALL items in barrels have a higher cooking priority than un-barreled items. If you want your booze and syrup cooked, you have to let the meat sit on the ground. :)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:13 pm »

I tried a similar set up using vials of glass filled with a custom liquid that was very volatile. I tried throwing the glass vials as weapons hoping they would break and release their contents. I had the option of throwing an unbreakable vial (worthless) or throwing the liquid with my hand (which led to my death).

I assume the same would be with eggs (well, them being unbreakable at least).

was the death related to not wearing mittens and gauntlets, or did you have those on when you attempted to throw that liquid?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:05 pm »

I don't recall. I doubt it would have mattered, if I remember correctly nothing covers fingers or toes. Now if I'm wrong, then maybe gauntlets would have made it work.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 12:30:49 am »

I don't recall. I doubt it would have mattered, if I remember correctly nothing covers fingers or toes. Now if I'm wrong, then maybe gauntlets would have made it work.

sounds like you need a dwarf that's had a finger-ectomy :)

(or rather, 10 finger-ectomies).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 08:47:51 am »

By vanilla, nothing covers fingers and toes. You can give fingers the [LIMB] token (makes for strange wrestling), make them internal, or, if heat and fire are the main issues, remove the fat from them or make fat itself melt at a higher temperature and/or bleed less.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

Stop weaponizing my babies!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 05:14:08 pm »

... On the plus side, I discovered that eggs in nest boxes have a lower priority for cooking jobs than booze in barrels.  So setting 'make lavish meal' on repeat will make a TON of wealth very fast and cook up all the booze in your fort.  As long as you have eggs disabled in all your stockpiles.

It's known that ALL items in barrels have a higher cooking priority than un-barreled items. If you want your booze and syrup cooked, you have to let the meat sit on the ground. :)

Nah bro, use the magic of stockpile links.  Create stockpile that ONLY allows desired cooked items (syrup, booze, leaves, cheese, etc.) and no other food items, link said stockpile to kitchen.  Voila, instant automatic cooking of difficult-to-get-cooked items with extremely low fiddlyness involved.  Works whether you allow barrels or not, and the only downside is if you want to cook lavish meals and don't have at least 4 items in the stockpile.  Easily remedied by making the stockpile 2x2 and having it take from a main stockpile.

Honestly, stockpile linking enables some amazing workarounds to a lot of stuff, I'm only just scratching the surface of it myself.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 07:02:01 pm »

Nah bro, use the magic of stockpile links.  Create stockpile that ONLY allows desired cooked items (syrup, booze, leaves, cheese, etc.) and no other food items, link said stockpile to kitchen.  Voila, instant automatic cooking of difficult-to-get-cooked items with extremely low fiddlyness involved.  Works whether you allow barrels or not, and the only downside is if you want to cook lavish meals and don't have at least 4 items in the stockpile.  Easily remedied by making the stockpile 2x2 and having it take from a main stockpile.

Honestly, stockpile linking enables some amazing workarounds to a lot of stuff, I'm only just scratching the surface of it myself.

The dwarves would take all the solid ingredients out of the pile, cooking only those; over time the pile would get filled proportionally more with liquids; eventually the entire stockpile will be liquid ingredients, and since that is the only stockpile allowed at the kitchen, no more meals will be cooked until the stockpile is unlinked/reorgnanized/etc.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 08:53:15 pm »

Make more than one stockpile. One liquid stockpile close to the kitchen, and, slightly further away, a stockpile for solid ingredients (no barrels). The dwarves go for the closer liquid items, then walk the extra distance to pick up the solid ingredient they need.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 03:44:16 pm »

Pretty sure that dwarves ignore proximity when deciding whether to cook liquids or not. Basically, they just don't ever cook liquids.

Good to know about the eggs-enabling-booze-cooking thing, though. Dwarven Syrup Caravan Buyout, engage!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »

The Great Eggperiment continues.

Eggs laid with 50 peafowl on the map will not hatch.
Eggs laid with 49 peafowl on the map will hatch
Starting with 50 birds, and killing 1 after the eggs are laid will not make eggs hatch.
Starting with 25 geese and killing the gander after the eggs are laid, eggs still hatch (opposite of my original assertion)
After ~200 chicks hatch out, fertile eggs will stop hatching, but they remain fertile.  I know because..
Putting enough chicks into cages makes fertile eggs start hatching again.  Exact number unknown.
One job at a time is created for each cage chicks are assigned to.  i.e. you need one cage for every dwarf you want to be caging free range birds.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to get the chicks into cages efficiently.  Next fort I'm going to spread the cages out.  Previously, I put them all in a block, and I think that was causing pathing problems.  I may also spread out the nestboxes more.

Lastly, nestboxes with eggs attract flies.  Nestboxes seem to preserve eggs like a stockpile.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:49 pm »

Ah ha!  Found the problem.  The dfhack zone plugin is borked.

Running 'zone tocages' multiple times results in birds being assigned to multiple cages so they end up getting round robin pulled out of a cage, stuck in a another cage, pulled out of that cage, stuck back in the first cage.

Back to manual assigning until I get off my ass and write a lua script for it.
Pages: 1 [2]