Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ADV mode - becoming a necromancer  (Read 550 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ADV mode - becoming a necromancer
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:29 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I was looking for a book on the secrets of life and death? I read it and still have no reanimatingnyness. I'm a vamp so the zombies are friendly and oddly enough so are the necromancers, so I've no difficulties in coming and going. I've also tried waiting a couple of days. So...what am I missing?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADV mode - becoming a necromancer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:29:25 am »

Only thing I can think of is that it might have been penned by the necromancer, and thus not be where they got their powers from. Search the tower further, and look for a slab instead?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:35:25 am »

Is your adventurer an elf? Elves can theoretically live forever, thus won't get obsessed with expanding their lives at all costs. They're not familiar enough with death to fully grasp the secrets of Life and Death. Or in game terms - they (and presumably other 'immortal' species like goblins) can't become necromancers, making the reading skill completely pointless for them right now.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:51 am »

I am going to kill Toady. Right now.

Well, scrap this legendary-axelord adventurer. Time to start a dwarf character! (I've never actually had armor save my life. So yeah, I just skip it.)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:09:03 am »

Eh, it's really non-obvious and i was utterly stumped the first time it happened to me.

I find necromancy very much not worth learning. Killing necromancers is much more fun, e.g. by recruiting them as your followers and leading them into a river. The last one standing will actually go and raise her/his companions who drowned first...

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:15 am »

Necromancy not worth learning?!?!

You apparently don't enjoy having an undead dragon accompany you on your journeys.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:00 am »

Umm, the secrets aren't in the books. Books are just things to read. The secrets of Life and Death lie in tthe Slab. Usually there is at least one slab in a tower. Read that, not a book. You'll get raport "you learnt secrets of life and death" when you read it. It's immediate.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:26 am »

Umm, the secrets aren't in the books. Books are just things to read. The secrets of Life and Death lie in tthe Slab. Usually there is at least one slab in a tower. Read that, not a book. You'll get raport "you learnt secrets of life and death" when you read it. It's immediate.

Wrong - you CAN learn the secrets from books as well as from the slab.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:55 am »

Wrong - you CAN learn the secrets from books as well as from the slab.

Just be careful that the book you're reading is about the secrets of life and death, and not simply life and death. Also that it isn't an essay about a book that contains the secrets of life and death. I'm pretty sure I encountered both of these in a single human fort led by a demon that had written the secret into a book, then went on to be a prolific author writing about the book.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.