Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42888 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Xbox ONE being revealed.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »

Yeah, knew this was going to happen.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:27 pm »

God, this looks like it's going to be a massive pile of shit.  I really do mean that, and as a guy who owned both of the previous Xboxs and really enjoyed them.  IF I even bother to get a new console it will definitely end up being the PS4.

Why do you say this? Everything about it seems to be top notch, with the exception of closing the used games market for consoles.
Having read all of the posts in this thread I am sorry to see so many people out of touch with the marketplace. The console market is incredibly strong and this console, like the other two, is delivering on a demand of the market segment. Most of the game sales for this will likely come from downloads which will hurt the already suffering Gamestop/GAME stores. The console gamers will be very happy with this system as well as the PS4. There is no doom and gloom. Just more of the usual PC gamers fapping about consoles and vice versa ad nauseum.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:15:52 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »

As someone who has talked to a couple of small developers I can see the logic here. Second hand games are actually more harmful to profit than piracy, apparently. While PC gamers have accepted this for a long time through CD keys and, later, platforms like Steam, console gamers feel it is their right to buy and sell second hand games. Developers see no profit from second hand games and, depending on how this fee is handled, this could allow developers to profit from the sale of second hand games.

Unfortunately, this also means that you can't bring your games over to a friend's house.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:11 pm »

Why do you say this? Everything about it seems to be top notch, with the exception of closing the used games market for consoles.

Components   Microsoft Xbox One
CPU    8 Core CPU custom built by Microsoft
Graphics Processor    D3D 11.1 chip with 32 MB embedded memory
Memory (RAM)    8 GB DDR3
Memory (Storage)    500 GB HDD
Optical Drive    Blu-ray/DVD combo drive
I/O    USB 3.0
A/V    HDMI input and output, 1080p and 4K support, Optical output

Groundbreaking.  ::)

As someone who has talked to a couple of small developers I can see the logic here. Second hand games are actually more harmful to profit than piracy, apparently. While PC gamers have accepted this for a long time through CD keys and, later, platforms like Steam, console gamers feel it is their right to buy and sell second hand games. Developers see no profit from second hand games and, depending on how this fee is handled, this could allow developers to profit from the sale of second hand games.

If your game is actually worth a damn people want to own copies for themselves as opposed to borrowing it. Odd how that logic works. Consoles are trying to squeeze their rock [user bases] for as much money as possible and I totally commend it, but they're killing their own market.

Unfortunately, this also means that you can't bring your games over to a friend's house.

In my opinion, this isn't an "Unfortunately" kind of point. That's an absolute killer. You can't bring your 70$ game to your friends house and play it on their 1100$ console.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:23:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:27 pm »

If your game is actually worth a damn people want to own copies for themselves as opposed to borrowing it. Odd how that logic works. Consoles are trying to squeeze their rock [user bases] for as much money as possible and I totally commend it, but they're killing their own market.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »

God, this looks like it's going to be a massive pile of shit.  I really do mean that, and as a guy who owned both of the previous Xboxs and really enjoyed them.  IF I even bother to get a new console it will definitely end up being the PS4.

There are a number of reasons, that can be summed up in this manner:  There's a lot of crap that's bad for consumers, and because it is bad for consumers it is bad for Microsoft. 

Actual reasons why I don't like:  It's got a lot of "features" that are basically worthless to people living outside of the States, and hold no value to a number of people in the Xbox's core demographics, because younger people are cutting the cord on TV, and young people are the ones who are most likely to want to buy a new console.  These sorts of features basically holds no value to us at all.

One time install bullcrap.  The reason I love consoles is because it allows me to get together with my friends and a play a game together.  Being charged a fee to take it over to my friend's house to play on his Xbox is asinine.
For another thing I don't even want to install a game on my Xbox.  A reason people enjoy consoles is because they can just pop in a game and play without having to worry about installing it or running out of space on their hard drive.  500 GB can go pretty fast when all you're using it for is games and movies.

Forcing you to be online without forcing you to be online:  Let me explain myself on this one, because otherwise it would make no sense.  MS says you don't need to be online to use their system, but how else are they going to confirm that this you haven't installed your brand new game on a different Xbox?  Answer: They cannot.  So either their ridiculous DRM system does not actually work, or they really will force you to get online at some point.

Plus, don't forget it's not backwards compatible.

To sum it all up I'd rather just stick with a PC which can do most of the same things the new Xbox can, is upgradeable, not bogged down with an atrocious DRM system, and can play all my old games.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:40 pm »

Huh, in addition to used game sales, I wonder how this will effect the rental game market? I suppose that'll be completely destroyed?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

You can borrow games from your friend, but it'll cost you money. It'll cost you exactly the price of the game. Microsoft gets to sell one physical game box and charge full retail prices every time it changes hands. Want to borrow a game for a day? That'll be $69.99.

Oh, and Microsoft is providing you with the privilege of playing games on the One. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said. Yes, Daddy M$. Please tell me how I should like it up the bum.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »

If the market finds your 'AAA' games to be worth 18$ a pop, guess that's capitalism.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »

I think consoles are just going to undergo a massive form-factor change. From clunky boxes to mobile devices. When we've hit the point where you can put a quad-core, 8 gigs of ram and a great mobile GPU into a tablet and/or phone, the actual console market share is going to crash.

(long-windedness re: mobile vs. console ...  TL;DR is "mobile won't kill consoles, because batteries and scaling")

Because by then the cost of providing a high-end HD gaming system to people who won't play it on a computer is going to be too high. Basically, all consoles are going to run into the problem the PS3 did, where it costs too much to ape what PCs are already doing for cheaper.

There are always going to be people that want PC-esque gameplay, but either can't or won't sort out building and managing a proper PC... and I think they are quite willing to pay a premium for that.  The only thing that's (historically) been keeping console unit prices down is economies of scale.  Cranking out millions of identical units has its advantages.

I think Sony and MS both recognize that there are people that want PC-esque with no fuss (both players and devs), as the specs in the PS4 and X1 are basically a mid-range gaming PC crammed into a HTPC case.  This has the side benefit of making the games a lot easier to develop, because x86 is a mature architecture and there's a ton of groundwork already laid by the last 20 years of PC gaming progress.

There are a number of reasons (snip for visual brevity)

Hear, hear! This man speaks truth, let none dispute him on this matter.

I got off the console wagon in 1997, which was around the same time I also got off the TV wagon.  Consoles do more things than they used to, but my logic then was essentially parallel to your logic now, Brotato.

Welcome to the Master Race.  Dying your hair silver is optional, but the silver unitard is mandatory at official functions. ^_____^
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:51 pm »

Huh, in addition to used game sales, I wonder how this will effect the rental game market? I suppose that'll be completely destroyed?

This is the point that jumped out at me. I'm having trouble picturing a way that the system they're describing could possibly work with game rentals.

I've got a good family friend who owns their own small video/game rental shop, and this is making me cringe on their behalf.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »

I've got a good family friend who owns their own small video/game rental shop, and this is making me cringe on their behalf.

It's essentially fucking the little guy for the sake of it, it seems.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »

This is the point that jumped out at me. I'm having trouble picturing a way that the system they're describing could possibly work with game rentals.

You can't rent a game for less than retail. In order to even pay employee wages the rental fee would have to be higher than the price of a new game at Target or wherever. Or rather the rental place gets it's fee and the user pays retail after that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:03:35 pm by BigD145 »

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:25 pm »

Well this sucks.
Seems the companies that made the xbox/ps2 have completely changed.
They are going in the opposite direction I wish they went, more high quality spilt-screen games instead of single player co-op games. And now we can't rent before we buy and possibly get stuck with always online consoles (yay servers crashing and not getting to play).
Not allowing backwards compatibility is also a big negative.They could try to resell the same games to you again (ps2/ps1 classics).

Well in my opinion they have taken a step backwards, sure we get pretty graphics but now I don't get to play with friends and family unless we all buy a separate console and the same game :-/.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »

Good god. You people all seem to be blowing this way out of proportions. This is not the end of the consoles, this is not the end of everything ever.

The included Kinect should be considered more of a bonus, and will likely help out the Xbox One a lot. The TV support is also very nice. The whole "NO MORE USED GAMES!!!!!" thing? It's not that big of a deal. You pay the fee and you can play it, still probably at a smaller price than a brand new game. This is also not the end of "family gaming", or other things like that.

The Xbox One looks great, and likely will be great. Many people will buy it, many people will like it. It won't be the "end of the consoles."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37