Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42836 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »

*Shrug*  I am a bigger fan of PS.  I rather that the other consoles don't matter so friends cannot compel me to buy it for co-op.  1 console to rule em all.

... I suppose that is some really short-term thinking, cause <insert company here> still needs competition to kick them in the face every now and then.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 08, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »

The issues with the Xbox One as I see it are

- It's $100 more expensive than than the PS4, in spite of having a slight weakness in terms of processing power
- It's going to have a heavy focus on advertising, with an extremely strong possibility of aggravating and invasive stuff involving the mandatory Kinect
- There are serious privacy concerns surrounding the aforementioned always-on Kinect and other aspects of the console
- The game lineup really isn't anything special, and almost all the "exclusives" will end up on the Xbox 360 and PS4 before long anyway

So I'm finding it really difficult to see why you'd want to buy one over a PS4 (and I say this as someone who bought the Xbox 360 over the PS3).  The controller looks well designed I guess.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »

- It's going to have a heavy focus on advertising, with an extremely strong possibility of aggravating and invasive stuff involving the mandatory Kinect
- There are serious privacy concerns surrounding the aforementioned always-on Kinect and other aspects of the console

Ugh.

Microsoft has stated multiple times that information from the Kinect (which I'm fairly sure that it doesn't store information long-term without your consent) will not leave the console unless the user specifically agrees to it. The advertising is no big deal and is more like "oh do this pose to open this ad; do a dance to get a coupon" in the bottom corner of the screen, not recording you and using the information to target advertise.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:00 pm »

Ugh.

Microsoft has stated multiple times that information from the Kinect (which I'm fairly sure that it doesn't store information long-term without your consent) will not leave the console unless the user specifically agrees to it. The advertising is no big deal and is more like "oh do this pose to open this ad; do a dance to get a coupon" in the bottom corner of the screen, not recording you and using the information to target advertise.
And you know this how?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 08, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »

From various statements from Microsoft and other articles from multiple sites (as a secondary source). (and no; I do not feel like scrounging them up and giving you links to the source)

But I'd rather not continue this argument, as it's getting a bit too aggressive, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:44:22 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:58 pm »

You do realize half of that consent at least will be bound up in the EULA, right?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 08, 2013, 06:45:08 pm »

Then you can read the EULA when it's available and tell me that you're right.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 08, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »

As well as the fact that what a company says is not the same as what they actually do, and that Microsoft has already been changing their story like crazy.

I also point out that you started the argument.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 08, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »

And adding a good dose of aggression as well.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »

Following microsofts standard policies the ads will get more aggressive over time and you'll have to agree to releasing ever more data to use the system. And just cannot understand abiding any ads at all when I'm already paying extra for the system and a monthly fee on top of it. They already ruined large chunks of the 369 experience with ads and I doubt that ar  is going to change for the new system. Blech. No thanks.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2013, 06:56:02 pm »

Yeah vague promises from Microsoft are pretty meaningless.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »

Following microsofts standard policies the ads will get more aggressive over time and you'll have to agree to releasing ever more data to use the system. And just cannot understand abiding any ads at all when I'm already paying extra for the system and a monthly fee on top of it. They already ruined large chunks of the 369 experience with ads and I doubt that ar  is going to change for the new system. Blech. No thanks.

Skype has also gotten progressively more ad-laden since MS took over. To the point where if I leave the call window open, I get browser error messages because they're trying to call ActiveX, which I've disabled. At least I can close most of the windows, which suppresses the ads. If the call window you're using had to have ads on it, I'd probably have moved to a different VoIP service by now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:15:44 pm by nenjin »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 08, 2013, 07:03:52 pm »

Besides it being MS, it has to seem at least useful somehow to make people interested. Reasonable amounts of ads on a site, probably helping the site in someway. Ads on twitch, they're probably going to someone at least relevant to the stream you get the ad on. Ads on a console that are there for no apparent reason (They aren't supporting the console since it wasn't free or discounted when you bought the thing, and they aren't supporting live, you still have to pay for that too) is just MS wanting some more money from you indirectly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2013, 07:12:59 pm »

Then you can read the EULA when it's available and tell me that you're right.
Good plan. I ought to resurrect this thread for the new console generation.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 08, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »

EULAs have no legal meaning at all anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37