Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42924 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »

Steam itself has gotten flak about that in Europe where courts have ruled consumers have resell rights for their digital products. No actions like this though hasn't happen here in america though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:15:05 pm by Tellemurius »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2013, 06:15:00 pm »

I heard about that. I wonder how Microsoft will deal with it?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:20 pm »

Their family share plan was extremely vague, and only mentioned being able to share with ten other people who would probably have to be family members. If they were so dead-set on having this feature in the first place, why didn't they give any solid knowledge on how it'd operate? The reason why there's so much misinformation and speculation going around, is because Microsoft is being intentionally vague on their features. I highly doubt they're so idiotic, that their PR department (Which they probably put a majority of their money into) would fail to realize people would want hard facts on new features. Chances are, their ideas and implementation were vague, and they just wanted to see how people would receive various features.

I love too how everyone likes to point out that steam doesn't have game sharing. Yeah, it sucks. But guess what they do have? An easier, seamless system that works with little to no hiccups. Not to mention the sales that come out every year, which is a huge plus to using Steam. It's definitely not perfect, but it's the easier and most consumer friendly option on the PC.

Edit: Oh, and yes. Any misinformation or negative opinions are OBVIOUSLY just propaganda spread by a specific website. That makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:24:06 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »

Also, most games that are not steamworks games work perfectly fine without steam running. Some games that have steamworks (like AI War) work perfectly fine regardless of the previous sentence. But that said, Steam isn't perfect by any means.
Neither is MS or Sony, both have done some idiotic things and some things people hated, etc,etc,etc. Not Nintendo either, sitting on the side with the DS/3DS and the Wii and the WiiU while the PS4 gets all the glory of the moment and the One frantically realigns itself away from the same kind of forced shift they managed to drag in with Win8.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:26 pm »

Yes. Locking your down console tighter than Fort Knox sure was "progressive."
You are OK with Steam, yes? THAT is locked down tighter than Fort Knox. etc.
Yup, except you buy a game for ~20 bucks on PC while console releases are still ~60 moneybucks.
Most expensive games I'm seeing on Steam right now are 'new, big' titles and those are 50 bucks.
"Oh but Steam has insane sales". Yes they do, and I have no idea if Microsoft could or would have done the same with sales, but if you have been on Steam you'll realize what was so damned progressive.
The one good thing that could have come from this is lowering the prices of console games. By taking out the secondhand market they could probably lower the price of games because people wouldn't be able to buy used copies anymore. If people saw that prices for Xbone games were a whole ton cheaper than PS4 games then that would have been a huge reason to get the Xbone instead of the PS4.

The real question is whether or not that was their plan, and my instincts tell me 'haha nope.'

Oh, you don't have to pay a membership fee for Steam either. Also, Steam isn't the only place to buy games on PC, Amazon and GoG and other such places exist.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2013, 06:43:29 pm »

Their family share plan was extremely vague, and only mentioned being able to share with ten other people who would probably have to be family members. If they were so dead-set on having this feature in the first place, why didn't they give any solid knowledge on how it'd operate? The reason why there's so much misinformation and speculation going around, is because Microsoft is being intentionally vague on their features. I highly doubt they're so idiotic, that their PR department (Which they probably put a majority of their money into) would fail to realize people would want hard facts on new features. Chances are, their ideas and implementation were vague, and they just wanted to see how people would receive various features.

Details were confirmed over twitter with people asking. All you had to do was search twitter yourself  or check Xbone news outlets that weren't just copy-pasta IE the /r/XboxOne/ subreddit. The reason there's no much misinformation going around is because of the CircleJerk explosion. The people didn't have to be family members either. They could be on another continent. It was an arbitrary designation.

No I also think they're not stupid, but that being vague on these sort of things is standard procedure. Sony danced around a number of questions like the restrictions for 3rd party titles. Guess what? They have/had the EXACT same policy as Microsoft while claiming to be better. Yes Microsoft could have been more specific (designation of family and library access worded a little ambiguous), but the terms were still laid out FOUR DAYS BEFORE E3.

Oh no but "It can't be real."

Edit: Oh, and yes. Any misinformation or negative opinions are OBVIOUSLY just propaganda spread by a specific website. That makes perfect sense.
I literally could not post cited information anything on chan, reddit, or misc forums without getting:
"That's false [I heard X from 4chan, NeoGaf, /r/gaming, etc] [insert copy-pasta 'infographic' with no actual citations from Microsoft]"
"That's too good to be true it can't be real"

Steam isn't bad
No, Steam does it's own thing. The only reason it's accepted is because of the sales, and there are still many people that hate it for the DRM regardless. The used games sharing/reselling/etc would have been an alternative model. I like having alternatives, just as you like also having Amazon, GOG, etc.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

Twitter as a news source is about as reliable as reddit/4chan/NeoGaf. Twitter in general is for nonsense or BS or hashtag campaigns, theres not enough characters for anything else.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:09 pm »

The real reason why STEAM isn't so bad is that you are not locked into using it, when you buy a PC.
And almost all content on STEAM is available elsewhere, both digital and physical.
Steam is in open competition with other marketplaces on the same platform(granted, they are smoking the competition)
While Xbone-market-or-whatever is the ONLY way to purchase games online for your Xbone.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2013, 06:49:17 pm »

Twitter as a news source is about as reliable as reddit/4chan/NeoGaf. Twitter in general is for nonsense or BS or hashtag campaigns, theres not enough characters for anything else.
I said confirmed not announced, and "[twitter confirmation] or check Xbone news outlets" does not state Twitter is a news outlet.

All the terms were announced on June 6th.
Commence Xbox Support twitter being spammed with:
"Really?"
"Yes really"

While Xbone-market-or-whatever is the ONLY way to purchase games online for your Xbone.
The only conditions were that the retailer "enters an agreement with rights management servers, [then] they [(not microsoft)] will be able to purchase and sell used games". Any retailer could, as long as they kept track of the Licensees.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:52:49 pm by Zyxl »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »

The thing is I don't see why Microsoft is getting rid of the family sharing system even now. They wouldn't be able to get the games bought on disc anymore into the system but they could still use it for digital games bought on the console. The main problem people had with the system was forcing games they bought on disc into it, I doubt there would be much backlash at all if they just added it as a new feature to their store.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 19, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »

I said confirmed not announced, and "[twitter confirmation] or check Xbone news outlets" does not state Twitter is a news outlet.
Makes sense, but, if you're going to suggest checking twitter first or XOne news outlets, I'm going to assume you're calling twitter a news source. Otherwise put the news first and the confirmation system second.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:00 pm »

The thing is I don't see why Microsoft is getting rid of the family sharing system even now. They wouldn't be able to get the games bought on disc anymore into the system but they could still use it for digital games bought on the console. The main problem people had with the system was forcing games they bought on disc into it, I doubt there would be much backlash at all if they just added it as a new feature to their store.
I really don't either and it pisses me off.

I should be able to "opt-in" to the 24/7 DRM juggling so I can have access to the features they just shut down.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

The best part about this backpeddle is that a parody gaming-news site already predicted MS would do this:

Microsoft Leaks Fake Disappointing E3 News to Make Real Disappointing News Look Better by Comparison

EA are constantly guilty of deliberately trumping up controversy in gaming and mainstream media to garner attention, and this is beginning to look like how MS are playing it.  *sigh* 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:13 pm »

They already pissed a lot of people off, including stockholders (you should see how much Microsoft stock has dropped)

So I was scrolling through this topic's new replies and saw this statement..

Just thought I'd clear that up a bit.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »

It rose a lot during the last few months, yeah, but look at late June. You can see that it's dropped since the announcements. It's not really visible compared to its rise, but it's definitely there, and it's not something to ignore.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37