Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War animals for recruits or veterans?  (Read 893 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War animals for recruits or veterans?
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »

After years of lackluster animal offerings from the elves, I finally got a grizzly.  At first, I was going to assign the war grizzly to a new recruit, but then I noticed that my veterans have the "don't care about anything anymore" trait.  Does that apply to all mood hits, including pet death?  If so, I might give the grizzly to the fortress champion.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War animals for recruits or veterans?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:09:29 pm »

Losing a pet is considered a tragedy, so it should be affected. But i prefer to use war animals as area defence - station them in pastures near critical locations. I'd also try my best to preserve that grizzly in hopes of a breeding pair. Why work with _a_ war grizzly when you can have _fifty_?

Personally attached work animals are buggy, because the game _treats_ them as pets where bad feelings are concerned, but checks the wrong flag when looking for worthy dead animals to bury and never assigns them to a coffin. Even if you circumvent the bug by setting your grizzly's adoption status to 'allowed' before training it and/or atomsmash its corpse, that's a degree of extra effort that's simply unnecessary with an unassigned war animal.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »

combat hardening diminishes certain types of mood hits including pet deaths,
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:List_of_Dwarven_Thoughts
see "tragedies".

There are also a number of other relevant personality traits; anxiety, depression, stress, etc.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Personality_trait

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

Thanks for the info!

I'd also try my best to preserve that grizzly in hopes of a breeding pair. Why work with _a_ war grizzly when you can have _fifty_?

/headsmack!

Thank you for reminding me of that!  I'll hold off until I can get a steady stream of cubs :D.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:01 pm »

I'm not sure how helpful this is but anyone can be a trainer and the dogs/war animals can be trained by anyone.  And the war creature will follow anyone who trains them.  Once you start breeding cubs set the next person you want to have a war bear follow them around to train them and they will. *edit* and I don't think there is any unhappy thoughts at the death of their *trained follower*.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:33:16 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:03 pm »

Losing a pet is considered a tragedy, so it should be affected. But i prefer to use war animals as area defence - station them in pastures near critical locations. I'd also try my best to preserve that grizzly in hopes of a breeding pair. Why work with _a_ war grizzly when you can have _fifty_?

How long does it take for a grizzly to reach maturity? I imagine it's a while, beyond the reasonable life of a fortress. Can anyone confirm?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:08 am »

and I don't think there is any unhappy thoughts at the death of their *trained follower*.

It can happen with wild animals that require periodic retraining.  A trainer can form a bond with a training partner and then be very upset when the training partner is, for example, converted to badger steaks because you have enough safer, fully domesticated ones to breed now.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:02:09 am »

Thank you, that is good to know.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:11:55 am »

How long does it take for a grizzly to reach maturity? I imagine it's a while, beyond the reasonable life of a fortress. Can anyone confirm?

I can falsify :P
Grizzly (and other) bears grow up very quickly, faster than all large felines. According to the raws, they become adult (war-trainable) after a single year. Bobcats take three years...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:19 am »

from the raws on magmawiki

[CHILD:1]  Cubs become adults at their 1-year birthday
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:20000]  Cubs are 1/3 the size of a dwarf when born
 [BODY_SIZE:1:0:100000] After 1 year the the cub becomes a bear, and is 40% larger than the average dwarf
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:200000] The bear is fully grown after 2 years.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku