Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55652 times)

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 3 - Ride the Lightning
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:13 pm »

Risky, perhaps needlessly so, the atmosphere inside is already pretty much the same as outside.
Hmm, true. -1 to the ventilation shafts on more thought.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2013, 11:07:26 pm »

I highly doubt that with all our breathing and growing industry gases mixture is the same  as on the surface

If we use Martian soil for our main food producing that's a mistake, as it is unlikely that we'll replant that flowers to surface and should just go ideal conditions route
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:29 pm »

By the time this is completed, the Flower Garden is dug out. The Nurse pauses in treatment to apply a healthy dose of fertilizer and water to the dirt, which is intermixed with topsoil.
so basicly mostly martian soil with some fertalizer thrown in.

"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:23 pm »

Quote from: The Flowers
The Flowers love water, (hydrogen, too), carbon, heat, and acidic soil. They appear to require very little nitrogen, but plenty of phosphorus and potassium. They can survive on more or less anything organic that is broken down and introduced into the soil which it lives in, and can be grown in water.

Chamber 1 is the underground adapted, which is somewhat damp, has plenty of minerals, and is somewhat basic soil.

The second one is with the Queen's Chamber, and is currently being set up for optimal conditions of light/water/etc.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:56 pm »

so, chamber 1 is listed as flower chamber and has 10 floweres and chamber 2 is the one labled flower chamber and has none in it a t present?
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2013, 11:30:19 pm »

Yes.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say "Yes, it's either the same fungus or an adapted version."

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »

Yes.
In that case I vote we
continue to make chamber 2 perfect and hold off on planting until we do

Plant 2 more floweres in the queen's chamber

Begin excavation of a 3ed chamber far from the bore hole and near the surface, with an insulated door seperating it from the main hive

Do biolab science! to the xenoflora samples.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »

Hm, I see....

Then my proposal changes to creating mild, surface imitating chamber with 5 flowers (And by mild I mean mild, we'll make it harsher in the future, now we need alive, well tended by pollinators flowers)  and plant 9 flowers in queens chamber mainly for the food production

I agree to not dig ventilation shafts right now (can always do that later if needed), but using  soil mixture more close to Martian, slightly colder temperature, day\night cycle imitation  and regular addition of gases common in Martian atmosphere is the must.

As for pollinators distribution I suggest 2 per room, with 1 generic body drone per each team to assist them in misc jobs like carrying water\fertilizers

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:38:25 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:06 pm »

The seperation from the main hive and proximity to the surface are for tempature resons, while I can see the problem with being to close to the surface I think that keeping it cool by insulating it from the "warmth" of the main hive will help prepare them for the surface.

About the more queen's flowers thing, what do you think of 4 insted of 9? it gives us 5 total queen flowers, a nice round number, and means we have 10 flowers left over after this round of planting. next round we can plant half of those in the perfact garden and have 5 baseline flowers left in reserve
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:47:23 pm by kopout »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 1 - Of Mars and Men
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2013, 11:47:31 pm »

There can only be one Queen’s Flower in any given area, and it appears that there can only be one Queen’s Flower per Queen.

It doesn't matter how many you plant, there will only be one. Competition is healthy, in that it will allow for the strongest and largest to grow, but adding more is going to put off the Queen's Flower being active until conflicts between the Flowers are resolved.

EDIT: The other flowers around the perimeter are just normal Flowers. Sorry if there's any confusion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:49:06 pm by Ross Vernal »

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2013, 11:49:32 pm »

Well.... That settles that. I thought I remembered somthing about them fighting from the last game but I wasn't sure.

Edit: responding to edit, I think it adds to the confusion. Do you mean flowers around the outside edge of the queens chamber? if so how far out do they need to be?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:52:50 pm by kopout »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2013, 12:00:58 am »

I think queen's chamber and flower chamber near queen's chamber are different rooms

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2013, 12:03:50 am »

There's no hard and fast distance determining it, but at least a handful of feet away is the general rule. As it stands, the Queen's Flower is atop the chamber while the regular Flower area is at the bottom edges of it.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2013, 12:05:40 am »

I think we are best off not planting any until the optamle chamber 9also the queen's chamber?) is finished (fertalizer, optamle lighting, etc)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2013, 12:15:02 am »

If we are not planting in the flower chamber and aiming for more, I suggest to make our tech part of the hive to design  a simple hydroponic system, as our dormant flowers are used to be raised in water (right?). No need for soil  for our ideal conditions, when we just can plant them in water filled with nutrients
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50