Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55637 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 2 - Queen of the Stone Age
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »

We can indeed develop the ability to get power from sunlight and/or electric organs, but the ability to directly convert electric energy into biological energy is going to be a bitch.

(Hint hint: a kind of bacteria exists that can convert electrical energy into methane gas.)

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:10:56 pm by Ross Vernal »

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2013, 06:21:15 pm »

We can indeed develop the ability to get power from sunlight...
(Hint hint: a kind of bacteria exists that can convert electrical energy into methane gas.)
:o Those articles are the coolest things I'v read all day.
more to the point is the hint
electricity+CO2+H2O>methane+oxygen
then
methane+oxygen>CO2+H2O+bioenergy?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:28:33 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:35 pm »

We can indeed develop the ability to get power from sunlight...
:o Those articles are the coolest things I'v read all day.
more to the point is the hint
electricity+CO2+H2O>methain+oxygen
then
methain+oxygen>CO2+H2O+bioenergy?
Hmm, methane respiring bio-generators.... So maybe a new organelle that has an alternate respiration cycle... Or maybe even completely replacing the mitochondrial ATP cycle with this new methanophile organ, and then an "input organ" which converts electricity into blood borne methane? A new carrier molecule would be needed too...
So yeah, just completely restructuring the respiration pathway into a method of converting electricity into ATP, no big deal XD

Assuming a lot about Kai Biochemistry there though, especially considering Kai seem to be Anaerobic anyway

If we were T Caste I would suggest just circumventing the whole nonsense of middlemen and try to build a synthetic Kai, it would be easier XD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:35:52 pm by Noxes »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »

While loosing few larvae to electricity is somewhat unpleasant, nurse and queen need something to do, and if we are lucky, then, we may modify the result further when we'll get some royal jelly

Besides I'd rather not waste royal jelly on generic larva ever, when we can modify one of T-drones, nurse or L2 soldier to so many useful roles. Plus we can modify the queen one more time
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »

The first order of the day is to put all of the Soldiers into Stasis. As they patiently wait their turn to be made dormant by a pair of Drones and put in storage, the remaining Tech Drones assemble the Food Synthesizer from the designs. The subsequent attachment of the Bacteria Vat and Biorecycler proceed well, and the device is fueled with the remaining corpses. With this being complete, the Drones attempt once again to make lightbulbs with crude implements. As expected, most of these attempts are failures. Out of the six that are assembled, one blows out instantly, three bulbs provide an exceptional amount of growing light, while the remaining two are suitable for providing light.

You take some time away from the electric experiments to dig space for the industrial complex, which the Tech Drones assemble in short order. The installation is expected to take a while, but when completed, the Industrial Facility will be completed with a Foundry, a small-scale Atomic Separator, Universal Parts Assembler, Pollen Refinery, and a Molecular Assembler. With these components, a large variety of technology can be developed - not necessarily by You, though.

While all this is happening, You and the Nurse have been busy frying Larvae with electricity. Or at least, attempting to; the first attempt is too high and bursts the Larvae in flames, which is the complete opposite of what You intended. The second, with much less current, simply suffers minor nerve damage (and is promptly thrown into the Synthesizer), but the third seems to at least be tolerant to the further reduced electric treatment.

After deciding that this probably isn't the best idea, You and the Nurse inspect the Hybrids. They seem skinny and covered in some sort of fungus, but otherwise perfectly healthy. Another day must pass before the Flowers are expected to grow, however.  After briefly possessing one of the Hybrids, You learn that the presence of the Flowers is accompanying the Hybrid at a level equivalent to the presence in Your mind, suggesting that the Flowers may have more sway over these Kai than You do. Given the mutually beneficial bond between You and the Flowers, this is not a source of serious concern.

Night falls. Now what?

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have some of the Pollinators do their plant-grow-dancing thing around one of the hybrids
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have some of the Pollinators do their plant-grow-dancing thing around one of the hybrids
+1! Good Idea!
Also, is there any sort of symbiotic fungus with the flowers (perhaps in their root complexes?) that We are aware of? Once one of the qualified drones gets those two acceptable grow lights installed Observe the effects of the light on the hybrids as well.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile

Ooh! Ooh! I just though of a song name for you, Ross! "Ride the Lightning" by Metallica.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Also, is there any sort of symbiotic fungus with the flowers (perhaps in their root complexes?) that We are aware of? Once one of the qualified drones gets those two acceptable grow lights installed Observe the effects of the light on the hybrids as well.

Yes, there's a good deal of fungi and bacteria that work with Us and the Flowers.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 3 - Ride the Lightning
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:57 pm »

I wonder if there is somthing we can do with the two bright bulbs. Or did they burn out after one use? 
Edit: Dose the Biolab give use a bonuse to tinkering with out biology? Could we use out biolab to seperate the electic to methane bacteria from the bacterial vat?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:01:13 pm by kopout »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »

I wonder if there is somthing we can do with the two bright bulbs. Or did they burn out after one use? 

Grow lights, presumably.

Does the Biolab give use a bonus to tinkering with out biology? Could we use out biolab to seperate the electic to methane bacteria from the bacterial vat?

Yes and yes.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »

Grow lights, presumably.
sorry, wrong two, I mean the 3 that are more than suficently bright

seperate the electic to methane bacteria from the bacterial vat

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »

1) Lay pollinator eggs, lay scout eggs
2) Try to will 30 eggs from B caste to M caste, but don't lay them just yet
3) Dig new chamber for one more flower garden. Plant 9 flowers here, keep the chamber cooler than the main one, but provide a lot of light. Do not forget to emulate Martian Day\Night cycle leaving the flowers without  light for a half of a day
4) Use grubs to dig thin ventilation shaft from the new chamber to the surface. It should have open\close mechanism and be long a curvy to a) let gases from  surface warm a bit before they reach the bottom and b)  opposite, to net create huge thermal mark. Original atmoshperic gases are needed for the adaption, and with system like that we may regulate temperature as much as we want.
5) Finally, keep the flowers into a much more nourishing analogue of Martian soil
6) Plant 5 more flowers into queen's flower chamber. Leave them in darkness, those are for deep ones that will feed underground part of the hive
7) Make more light sources

Idea with the new farm is to emulate surface to some extent, to make replanting them later easier.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:04 pm »

+1
3) Dig new chamber for one more flower garden. Plant 9 flowers here, keep the chamber cooler than the main one, but provide a lot of light. Do not forget to emulate Martian Day\Night cycle leaving the flowers without  light for a half of a day
don't we alredy have a second, empty chamber?
4) Use grubs to dig thin ventilation shaft from the new chamber to the surface. It should have open\close mechanism and be long a curvy to a) let gases from  surface warm a bit before they reach the bottom and b)  opposite, to net create huge thermal mark. Original atmoshperic gases are needed for the adaption, and with system like that we may regulate temperature as much as we want.
Risky, perhaps needlesly so, the atmospher inside is alredy pritymuch the same as outside.
5) Finally, keep the flowers into a much more nourishing analogue of Martian soil
arn't we alredy?
6) Plant 5 more flowers into queen's flower chamber. Leave them in darkness, those are for deep ones that will feed underground part of the hive
Maybe only 2 or 3 we need to keep origional flavor floweres in reserve for when we go back to space

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »

Idea with the new farm is to emulate surface to some extent, to make replanting them later easier.

+1

Using the biolab can We identify the fungus found growing on the hybrids as one of the naturally occurring fungus that live with Us and the Flowers?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:23:23 pm by Noxes »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50