Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Murrawari Republic to attempt reclamation of Australia  (Read 2448 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Murrawari Republic to attempt reclamation of Australia
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

http://indymedia.org.au/2013/05/10/queen-recognises-murrawarri-republic
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1765174/Murrawarri-people-take-sovereignty-campaign-to-UN

'Key leaders including Fred Hooper say the push for independence follows many frustrating years of inaction and broken promises.

Clan groups say the Queen of England, the Prime Minister and the Premiers of Queensland and New South Wales have been put on notice and given 21 days to respond to the declaration.

They say they will also be asking the UN to formally recognise their republic.

"You know according to our laws and customs, she (the Queen of England) does not now have any say over our country," says Fred Hooper from the People's Council of the Murrawarri Republic People's council of the Murrawarri Republic.'

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Murrawari Republic to attempt reclamation of Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

Sounds like the next Sealand.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:51:25 pm »

*Looks up the location of Murrawari Republic on Google Maps*

<Not found>

Just how much of Australia are we talking about? I'd say they could go an have the part that's such a death trap that it has its own TvTropes page about it, but that's pretty much the whole thing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:07:13 pm »

Just how much of Australia are we talking about? I'd say they could go an have the part that's such a death trap that it has its own TvTropes page about it, but that's pretty much the whole thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They've indicated interest in the lands on the right from Queensland and New South Wales. We'll have to see how much they want when [if?] they show up at the U.N.

They want a bit more than inhospitable deathtraps for sure.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »

They want a bit more than inhospitable deathtraps for sure.

Hell, I'd take the inhospitable deathtraps and wait until the mountainhome sends migrants, then work them to death making it into a less inhospitable deathtrap until it works. You think Australia would just hand it over?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:30 pm »

Well this is going the sealand route or the Jefferson state route.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:45:20 pm »

Well, this should interesting
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:58:16 pm »

What would be interesting is if the queen actually gave it all to them.  Willing to bet you would have a great shot of a half dozen tribal elders with some serious 'WTF do we do now?' looks.

This has happened before now a few times though, various tribal groups have laid claim to huge swaths of australia (including the city of melbourne and surrounds), generally the powers that be deal with it by ignoring them.

We do have more than our share of micronations though, being a holdover from the british empire leaves us open to it in some oddball way

Edit, wikipedia says they made claim to 81000 sq. km.  Dont think you are still a micronation at that stage.
And apparently the powers that be did deal with it by not dealing with it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:01:58 pm by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:33 pm »

None ever get recognized though. Most of the time people are just looking to avoid taxes.
When it comes time to pay a few people get arrested for evasion and nobody else cares because they didn't actually want some social reform, their home was just within the lines drawn up. The argument that the Queen and Governor General are 'oppressing' is bullshit. The Monarchy is a a ceremonial role at best. No Governor General has done anything of importance since Whitlam, and if Jimmy Carter is to be trust that will never happen again. The PM is the only significant figure here, and that is an elected position.

I would love to see it handed over to them though, so that they can watch their patch of land dry up without government spending flowing in to support them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:31 am »

None ever get recognized though. Most of the time people are just looking to avoid taxes.
When it comes time to pay a few people get arrested for evasion and nobody else cares because they didn't actually want some social reform, their home was just within the lines drawn up. The argument that the Queen and Governor General are 'oppressing' is bullshit. The Monarchy is a a ceremonial role at best. No Governor General has done anything of importance since Whitlam, and if Jimmy Carter is to be trust that will never happen again. The PM is the only significant figure here, and that is an elected position.

I would love to see it handed over to them though, so that they can watch their patch of land dry up without government spending flowing in to support them.
This sounds like a bad Saturday sitcom special.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:35 am »

This probably shouldn't really be confused with the whole micro nations thing, this seems much more like a native title issue boiling up or something similar.

In general i'm in two minds about this. One the one hand, the land was in effect stolen. On the other hand, it was stolen many generations ago. neither the current holders stole it nor the existing claimants had it stolen from them. A sticking situation to be sure.
Magma is overrated.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »

I wonder is the a statute of limitation for theft in Australia? something like that could end any stolen land arguements.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »

I doubt the intent or legitimacy of this claim, but it does remind me to ask about Australia's immigration laws at the moment.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »

Well I'm overjoyed. I always wished Aborigines would do something like this, just to get back at all the injustices that have been meted out to them over the centuries.

Also - it's not a micronation when it's as big as Austria.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:31:12 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: [1] 2