Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ideas for a "dam" succession fort?  (Read 1154 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ideas for a "dam" succession fort?
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »

Hi all, I was thinking about the idea of doing a succession fort based on the idea of a Hoover Dam type megaproject, but I haven't really fleshed out the idea yet.  Anyone have any suggestions?  My basic idea is that we'd need a map with a very tall non-freezing waterfall and a deep, wide canyon carved by the lower river.  By developing the ability to drain and fill the reservoir, we could build underwater structures or perhaps even submerge the fortress entrance as a defense.  The dam could generate power using water wheels, but what would we use the power for?  And how should the main fort be architected?  Certainly some industries could be built inside the dam, milling being the obvious choice.

Your suggestions would be very welcome... or if you have a good map for it, let us know.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: ideas for a "dam" succession fort?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »

This looks like what you want, I can upload the save for you if it is, if not, I don't think it will be that difficult, however it would take a bit to find the embark you want.

(For the post, picture spoiler, bottom pic)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

That's a real interesting map!  How many z-levels is the waterfall?  And what kind of biome(s) are present?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

Using the Fallout Equestria mod(FYI)

3 Z-levels, and it has a terrifying, and two 'regular' biomes on it(I might have to abandon then reclaim after backing it up to get a definite answer)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

you'd need a big waterfall, and a big embark.  Might take some searching, but definitely shouldn't be TOO hard.

Bonus points if inside the damn you have a slow release of water internally that actually powers some waterwheels before slowly letting out water continuously.  Use pressure plates to keep it automated.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »

As far as dam construction goes I would recommend the use of unsupported floodgates. A floodgate can be built on a wall and linked to mechanisms and then the wall removed without the floodgate deconstructing or collapsing. Working from the top you could make the entire dam this way so it could be opened on demand to create an enormous flood.