Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: Let's Spore: Civilization Stage: The End  (Read 60853 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Spore--What Will Bay12 Make This Time?
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2013, 10:08:00 am »

Just hit Print screen regularly? Isn't there also a picture button in spore itself?
Again, sends it out of Spore; and AFAIK only for the Creators. Would you be fine with limiting pictures to the creatures and whatnot, and if not does anyone know what's causing the issue?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »

From what I know, FRAPS is often used to take screenshots from games, you could try that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »

It says it's "for Windows XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7". As you may have gathered, I'm using Windows 8. Would this cause compatibility problems?

And sorry for the technical issues, I'm more of a biology nerd  than a tech nerd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »

Some quick googling reveals that it should work.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »

Ah, Spore, I am sad...

Anyway, for a lovecraftian bent, I suggest something vaguely Yithian. Let's do a hexapod, something with 3 legs and 3 arms.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn Sporoo [1]
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »

Aha, I got a screenshot! We can start!

-----

"Alright, class, quiet down! Quiet--I SAID QUIET! ...Good. Now, then. Welcome to 'The Origin of Us," a class which will discuss the early history of our species. Now, then. Early biochemists were befuddled by our biochemistry...why?"
"Because you're an idiot?"
"No, does anyone ACTUALLY know?"
"Wasn't it because it's not much like almost any other creature's?"
"Correct! Does anyone know what the predominating theory is?"
"That all Nisoans evolved from a separate lineage of life, possibly from a panspermic origin."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Precisely! Now, then, what was this ancestral Niosan like?"
"It was likely a very small, perhaps a [1.3 mm] long or so with a beating flagellal tail and a pair of light-sensitive organs on the dorsal surface for detecting perdators. It likely was a filter-feeder and, like all Niosans, had an unusually high mutation rate. Most notably, it had the unique-at-the-time capability shared with modern Niosans to absorb genes from its food and incorporate them into its gameses."
"...That was impressive, I didn't expect anyone to know the answer.

"The ancestral Niosan was found perhaps a [6 Earth years, 4 Slendermintian years] and a half ago. It has been given the name Sporoo micros, and existed alongside such beings as Minno fotosens and Goldy dimonspydir.
"Minno fotosens was a great competitor to Sporoo. In addition to being more numerous, Minno's entire dorsal surface was photosensitive and may have included primitive eye-like structures. However, the S. micros soon evolved into its more well-known and larger cousin, Sporoo origin, which was very much similar to micros aside from being about three or four times as long."
"Of course, in this new world of being multiple [1.3 mm]s long, Sporoo origin faced new challenges. For instance, Goldy dimonspydir, which previously ignored Sporoo and only ingested it when encountering one in the middle of a school of Minno, found Sporoo origin quite tasty...to say nothing of larger creatures."
"Fairly early on in its evolution, Sporoo managed to assimilate genes from Pokey martys, another herbivore which is notable for its keratinized spines on the fore portion of the creature. As Sporoo lacked any means to harm Pokey and Goldy would not have eaten Pokey due to its size and spines, it is highly likely that Sporoo's assimilation was from feeding off the scraps of the meal of a Chomper aedis; given the fairly high concentrations of genetic information required, this was likely performed slightly after the Pokey's death. Regardless..."
"Of course, don't think that the Chompers were a friend of Sporoo! They were a dangerous predator, with massive jaws two, maybe 2.5 [1.3 mm] long!"
"They even caused our first death!"
"...What?"
"The first death in the game was caused by a combination of Chomper chomping and Pokey being run into."
"...Anyways."
"For a brief period of time--"
"Between when we hit that one chunk of green and when we actually mated--"
"...of time, there was a species called Sporoo gigantis, which was almost a [6.5 mm] long!"
"But, soon enough, Sporoo gigantis, too, evolved into a completely new form."
"And the new being was definitely not Sporoo. Who knows what it evolved into?"

-----

So, what shall we have next?
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Spore: Cell Stage: Sporoo
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2013, 04:17:11 pm »

Just a quick science thing, almost all prokaryotic life can absorb genes from those it consumes.

Hmm, I'd say we should try to be either omnivore, because of more options, or herbivore, because of the incredibly useful bonus in the space stage.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »

Just a quick science thing, almost all prokaryotic life can absorb genes from those it consumes.
Reread the update. We're not talking bacteria, Sporoo micros was about a millimeter long. This is because these "cells" are much more complex and variable in size than cells would be. (I mean...eyes and mouths and spikes and electricity...

Hmm, I'd say we should try to be either omnivore, because of more options, or herbivore, because of the incredibly useful bonus in the space stage.
Well, I can put a set of jaws on the creature. Do you want that?
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »

Might be more cost effective to get a proboscis, not to mention cooler.

Also, proboscis can get food from the bigger creatures that can't be smashed into meat chunks, and you can put on the back to deal with hostile creatures while simultaneously getting fed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:47:03 pm by HugoLuman »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:25 pm »

Proboscis doesn't appear until... halfway through cell stage? Something like that. And even then it's entirely possible to miss it. I'd just switch between the two default mouths until we manage to find it, assuming that we definitively want to become omnivores, of course.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »

Yes, that still has to be decided. Still, there's something decidedly awesome and fun about putting a proboscis on the back as defense.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2013, 05:06:41 pm »

Proboscis doesn't appear until... halfway through cell stage? Something like that. And even then it's entirely possible to miss it. I'd just switch between the two default mouths until we manage to find it, assuming that we definitively want to become omnivores, of course.
What stops us from having both?

And do we just want to chat about diet?
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2013, 05:11:18 pm »

If I remember correctly the game will throw a hissy fit and prevent us from doing so, but I could honestly be wrong. It's been a while since I've played, and I obviously didn't try mixing mouths that often.

We should probably have a chat about diet. After all, it'll be a large influence on the later stages of the game.

EDIT: Well, a influence at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »

If I remember correctly the game will throw a hissy fit and prevent us from doing so, but I could honestly be wrong. It's been a while since I've played, and I obviously didn't try mixing mouths that often.
I've done it a lot before. It's okay.

We should probably have a chat about diet. After all, it'll be a large influence on the later stages of the game.

EDIT: Well, a influence at least.
True enough. And if we go with the both-mouths idea, we don't have enough DNA for a spike.

-----

Here are our options:
1. We have a creature with a filter-feeding mouth and a spike.
2. We have a creature with jaws and a spike.
3. We have a creature with a filter-feeding mouth and jaws.

Which should we choose, where should we put our spike (if any), and what shall we name the creature?
Sig

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013, 05:24:54 pm »

Option 1, with the spike over the mouth (assuming a spike poking out of the mouth isnt possible).

As for a name... no idea!
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43