Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: D&D Neverwinter Open Beta  (Read 7704 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D&D Neverwinter Open Beta
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:14 pm »

There doesn't appear to be a thread for the topic, better rectify this at once! I've been trying this game out the last few days and I must say I am pleasently surprised, enough so to share with you guys.
I'm probably not the best OP for this topic however due to my limited d&d experience (never was a fan of dice rolls). So you d&d enthusiasts out there don't gun me down when I say something blatently ignorant or stupid.  ;)

Anyway without further ado!

Disclaimer: Screenshot taken with my personal post processing applied

Neverwinter is, for you d&d newbs like me, a new mmorpg by Cryptic based on the fictional d&d universe. It's currently in open beta so downtime and plenty of patches are to be expected. In terms of features the game seems plenty ready for launch though. Payment model is standard free to play mmo, core game is free with a cash shop filled with boosts, shiny toys and account upgrades.

The lore and I assume also the classes their skills are as inspired by the d&d setting. Not much I can share about the lore myself though, for prevously stated reason. I'm endulging myself in the d&d lore so I can get into some roleplaying. Personally I've always been interested in getting into the whole d&d thing but, as I said before, dices scare me off. Loving every bit of this game though, so here's my chance.  8)

The game is set in the partly reclaimed city of Neverwinter and its environs, explorable through a travel screen and instanced dungeons/quest areas. The world isn't exactly seamless like most mmorpg out there, so that might be a bummer if you think that's important. What it does allow for though is a large game world that feels less like a theme park and more like an actual vast world, and for players to create their own adventures by making new instances anywhere on the travel map, but more on that next.

Because this is the part I think will interested you guys. The game has something called The Foundry wich is, in essence, a builder kit for players to make their own pve content. You can create your own map instances anywhere on the travel map, be it a dark dungeon or monster filled forrest, anything is possible within the confines of what the kit allows you to make. You can set your own quest objectives, interactable objects and npcs, your own monsters, anything you might need for an adventure.
I guess ultimately it is much like being a dungeon master of a d&d session. At least I assume it to be since I've never participated in one, but you are given all the tools for players to pick up your quest or story arc, group up and have a jolly good adventure. Player made quest will, like regular quests, give you loot and experience so no descrimination for not completing the standard pve content.

Now then the combat. For a game based on a pretty traditional rpg setting I'm surprised how fluid an visceral the combat is. It's no gw2 where all fighting is on the move, but no olde stand next the enemy and auto attack either. Combat is very active with lots of interesting mechanics, movement and positioning. Definatly a fresh look on the more traditional rpg combat while still retaining its qualities. It's not very convoluted but definatly solid.
Basicly the way it works you have a skill tree with power to be unlocked and upgraded, containing passive powers, at-will powers, encounter powers and daily powers (bit of a weird name if you ask me). Your at will powers have no cooldown so they're your bread and butter attack skills, of wich you can select two. Your 3 chosen encounter powers are a bit more powerful and/or specialized and have cooldown, the two passive powers give, as the name suggests, a passive bonus to your character. Finally the daily powers are only usable after your combat gauge fills up, how you fill it up depends on your class.

Bit more additional info on the races and classes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that's about it. Definatly want to try this game if you're into d&d or if you're like me and don't care for the roll of a dice but love online rpg.
The combat is good, the game looks great and the foundry is just sublime. Try out the open beta or keep an eye out for its developement, it's definatly one of the better mmorpg I've played of late.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Neverwinter Open Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

Seems nice enough. I'll look into it, even though I quit MMORPGs a long time ago.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:16:28 pm »

The Foundry

Player made content becomes accessible on the public server? How did they implement this such that won't be easily manipulated? For example...what's to stop someone from making quest that involves picking up the quest object from the ground and returning immediately...bam, quest completed, here's your reward? What's to stop people from spawning piles of treasure for the taking? That sort of thing is fine for a single player game, or games played locally on a LAN or private server.

How are they going to make that work on a public server?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »

The Foundry

Player made content becomes accessible on the public server? How did they implement this such that won't be easily manipulated? For example...what's to stop someone from making quest that involves picking up the quest object from the ground and returning immediately...bam, quest completed, here's your reward? What's to stop people from spawning piles of treasure for the taking? That sort of thing is fine for a single player game, or games played locally on a LAN or private server.

How are they going to make that work on a public server?

Go ask Star Trek Online because it has the exact same foundry system and seems to work pretty well.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:37:40 pm »

Go ask Star Trek Online because it has the exact same foundry system and seems to work pretty well.

That doesn't really answer the question, but the comparison to STO is not encouraging. I was in its beta, and it was among the most poorly conceived and horribly implemented games I've ever played.

Jelle: you're playing this game. How is Foundry implemented such that people can't use it to powerlevel and gear their characters on the open world? There may be ways to do it, but I think it's an important question.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:47:47 pm »

not 100% sure how the foundy creation works as i didnt create anything there... i just played liek 2 foundry missions that were actually pretty good and lengthy (20 mins-40mins).

but i know that i.e. end chest rewards are handled by "the server" and not the foundry creator.

no idea how much a mission with just one room and a item on the floor to pickup and give a npc who stands next to it would give as rewards... (i would guess there are some "limits" that must be fullfilled to be eligable as a legal quest or so...)
but it would be bloody boreing (what probably will result in alot of down votes)... where is the fun in i.e. getting one level in 2 mins with such a mission? your level 60 in a hour... skipped everything of the actual game... why again did you start playing?

if your just playing it to get to max level as quickly as possible and exploit it (if it can be exploited this way (probably cant)) with such a foundry mission to get max level in 30 mins... well good for you... your max level now... goodbye go to another game as your "finished" arent you?

the game itself is pretty good actually... also very "solo play" friendly, with the companion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »

The foundary cannot be used to power level.

Mostly because the rewards for it are very minor compared to even just PVPing.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »

I've been playing the game casually for the last week or so, and I've enjoyed it. The community is sort of horrible at the moment, and trolls abound saying that 'WoW was the first MMO'.

The combat is actually a lot of fun with the dodge/block mechanic. It adds much more of a dynamic feel to fighting instead of just running through the spells on your hotbar and wondering why the healer is sitting in the corner eating stale bread.

There isn't really much of a pay to win mentality, but there are definitely opportunities for players to pay to gain a significant advantage. Plus, those damn lockboxes... those things are dropping like vendor trash. For anyone who hasn't played, a Nightmare Lockbox is an epic item that contains some random high level gear or mounts. It requires an enchanted key to open, which can only be obtained through real money or by buying it off other players for a large sum of money. You can sell them to a vendor, so the only way to be rid of them is to take up space in your bank or sell them to another player. Nobody in their right mind would buy a lockbox.

My one major peeve with the game is the PvP 'killing blow' mechanic. Essentially, when a player takes fatal damage in a party based PvP event, they aren't dead. Instead, they're incapacitated and can be revived by a friendly player. However, any person on the opposing team, regardless of who has caused the most damage, can run up and tap F (the action key) and kill them, gaining full points for a kill. That makes absolutely no sense to me, because it just encourages killstealing.

Just as a note, the game has very few DnD elements. It uses the combat conventions and class designs, but there is no dice rolling or limitation on abilities like you'd expect from DnD. Encounter powers simply have a longer recharge time, and daily powers rely on an action point system, which is similar to rage from WoW. It's entirely possible to use your daily more than once when fighting a particularly strong boss, which makes the name a little pointless.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »

I will also say that PVP is completely unbalanced and set up for the end game.

So at certain levels with will have HUUUUUUGE gaping disparities between the classes. The one who suffers from this the most is the Great Weapon Fighter who is either useless or good depending on the level.

Rogues are currently the most popular and overpopulous class. Mostly because they are one of the best classes.

Mages even though they are based on their 4e counterpart, are actually high damage dealers. They aren't like the rogues who do their damage all in one strike, but they can do continuous non-stop high damaging disabling moves.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »

Mages even though they are based on their 4e counterpart, are actually high damage dealers. They aren't like the rogues who do their damage all in one strike, but they can do continuous non-stop high damaging disabling moves.

Wizards also have a stun effect on many of their spells, which is a pain in the ass in PvP.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »

The only good reward from the foundry missions is exp and drops.  From what I can tell the reward at the end is based on how long the dungeon is.  I've gotten crap whites mostly, if anything.

While the monsters you fight follow the usual loot table for the level you go into it, all the encounters are set up by the creator and it just sets the level of the mobs to the party average.  Some people are making exp farming missions that have a bunch of high reward mobs that are supposed to be tough, but use path finding errors to make them kill able with out any danger.

You have a decent amount of flexibility when making a mission, mixing and matching dungeon tiles, doodad and mob types.  The scripting seems to allow you to make them exactly like the quests from the creators. 

My biggest complaint though is the restricted number of mob types.  Right now you have people (humans, elves, dwarves, halflings ect... of various flavors), undead, wererats, werewolves, animals, some elementals, a few constructs and devils.  It just feels to limiting after playing D&D for so long and having to many monsters to pick from to throw at a party to be presented with so few options.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »

but i know that i.e. end chest rewards are handled by "the server" and not the foundry creator.

Exactamundo, there's no real way to exploit loot through foundry missions as far as I know of. Still new to the game myself so I can't be 100%, but I think that'd be a pretty well known problem I'd have heard of.
On the other hand it is possible to create quests for no other purpose then to maximize xp gain. Don't really see the point in that personally, but if there's players who want to race through the levels all the more power to them as far as I'm concerned. They might figure out a way to tone it down though, as xp farm quests can sort of clutter genuinely interesting quests.

I will also say that PVP is completely unbalanced and set up for the end game.

So at certain levels with will have HUUUUUUGE gaping disparities between the classes. The one who suffers from this the most is the Great Weapon Fighter who is either useless or good depending on the level.

Rogues are currently the most popular and overpopulous class. Mostly because they are one of the best classes.

Not done to much pvp yet but generally agree, trickster rogue and control mage both seem over the top. Especially the rogues are just dominating, at least at the level I have been playing. And yeah, the great weapon fighter just plain sucks at low lv.
Still, it's beta. I imagine there's a fair bit of balance tweaking to do still.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:50:59 pm by Jelle »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:26:32 pm »

where is the fun in i.e. getting one level in 2 mins with such a mission?

Pvp. Griefing. Server wide rankings. Etc. Lots of incentives to climb quickly.

Just as a note, the game has very few DnD elements.

That's probably a good thing. Then pen and paper D&D rules have never been well suited for computer games.

Some people are making exp farming missions

..yeah, might be possible to make it difficult to exploit for loot. For example, no fixed drops and no random chests. Only give drops from kills based on the monster itself. It would be restrictive, but it could be done. But I don't see any obvious way to make xp unfarmable that doesn't cripple the engine.

the reward at the end is based on how long the dungeon is.

What would happen if somebody made a dungeon like this:

D--D--D--D--D--D--D
 /                             \
Q                              B
 \                             /
   o--o--o--o--o--o--o

1) Quest giver asks you to talk to Bob
2) Room containing a dozen demons, ancient dragons, or other arbitrarily high level encounters
o) Room containing nothing
B) Bob

Alternately:

o) Room containing a dozen demons, dragons or similarly high level monsters...trapped by terrain

Even if the engine completely automates quest reward xp based on dungeon size and contents, is it smart enough to see that there is no risk for players who simply run straight through the lower set of rooms?

Wizards also have a stun effect on many of their spells

I look forward to the day that game designers no longer feel the need to give players buttons they can press that cause other players to not be able to play the game. I don't know who thought that was a good idea.

Still, it's beta.

I've been in a couple betas. My experience has generally been that companies perceive them not as a bugtesting or ironing out phase, but simply as part of the marketing process. I don't think I've ever seen a beta that resolved the problems reported during beta.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »

I look forward to the day that game designers no longer feel the need to give players buttons they can press that cause other players to not be able to play the game. I don't know who thought that was a good idea

It isn't a bad idea, after all that is also the idea behind submission holds and parries with forked weapons.

It is just an abused idea.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:30:17 pm »

Played for awhile, wasn't particularly fun. I don't know why they decided to link this to D&D, because it shares nothing in common with it besides the name and the bad excuse for story/lore it has. The combat while at first is somewhat refreshing, you'll still find yourself doing the same thing every fight and basically rotating through abilities like you do in a normal MMO. The only redeeming factor of this is the Foundry, but the content currently in it isn't exactly stellar. This may although be due to how it hasn't been available to the community for that long, so we'll just have to wait and see. Ultimately, I don't really think it's worth playing that much. From what I heard PvP is rather "Meh" (It's pretty much based around stunlocks, from what I've seen) and the game never particularly gets much better as you play through it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4