Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 106177 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

I just realized that with the way we're going, we could eventually become Cthulu.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 03:56:50 pm »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Senses- 4

(the dice gods are still a bit reluctant, but you got something)

After many generations of being totally blind, the ghoulish swimemone... is still blind. However, it now has an almost-supernatural ability to find prey within a metre or so of its tentacles (from the electric sense), and its keen sense of smell and its symbiots let it get that close. It can send out bursts of electricity, not enough to be useful on its own, but it can recall its guidelets or send signals to others of its kind. This has made it vastly more effective than any other large swimemone.

The hive nestblob has also evolved. It uses a hive system, with one large sessile nest/mother and many guidelets.

The biggest threat to the swimemone's reign, though, is a massive one-and-a-half metre long predator that has appeared. Known as the giant jawshell, it bobs along with its rock-hard shell and spears nearby animals to consume them. It appears to be mostly immune to our toxins. Its scent and electrotouch are disturbing the swimemone and disrupting their hunts, or attacking and eating the nestblobs.

GENERATION 6:
Ghoulish swimemone
A dark-grey-and-white tentacled fish-like animal that swims over the surface of the reef, hunting for food. They swim with their finned foot, and use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They grow up to 50 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and a fair sense of smell/taste. Symbiotic guidelets help it find live prey. An electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells when they form swarms, and growths grow on the area of the body derived from the bases of the tentacles. Younger animals are mostly male, and older animals are female, due to the pressures of swimming while pregnant. Tentaclets follow their mother until they can be dropped off at a hive nestblob. They eat mucus that the nestblob creates (although the nestblob sometimes takes either type of larva to supplement its diet) and, when they are large enough, swim with a suitable guidelet to form a territory. Pheremones cause the guidelet to develop into a hive.
MOVEMENT: They move by rippling their foot, swimming like a fish. Sacs of carbon dioxide keep them buoyant. They also have simple jets on their side-gills.
EATING: It impales nearby blobs and digests them by drawing them into the tentacles. After many generations, they are finally able to reliably prey on fast swimmers, and their poison has changed to a venom. They still have the rather inefficient absorbing-via-tentacle feeding method.
PREDATION: Jawshells are the only hunter of adult swimemones. Some species of jawworm are able to feed on the tentaclets. Most smaller creatures are on the menu.
COMPETITION: Swimemones are hunters of large animals, and so stay out of the niche of the jawworm. They have little competition for their niche, other than the jawshell.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of various types of blobs have built massive networks of reefs. Tentablobs grow above the rest, filtering food from the open water, while crawlers of various species create ditches and clear space. Aciblobs fill the majority of space for animal life, burrowing and swimming and crawling on the seafloor. Flapworms have migrated from the open ocean, and are efficient filter-feeders and danger-avoiders. Jawworms have also arrived recently, and hunt free-swimming animals. Hive nestblobs are armoured animals two metres or so wide, and form the base of the territory of swimemones.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »

Well, let's try some stuff.

Attempt to mimic Jawshell hormones, to make it friendly to us.
Increase tentacle strength.
Increase poison strength. Also, neurotoxin.
Invest in digestive juices.
Work on strong, eletric pulses. Mainly defense mechanism.
Carapace

Basically, new attack strategy is to knock out our enemies, then encapsulated them and slowly digest them. Works on larger prey too. As an added bonus, young specimen can be dropped of on a caught enemy, of which they can then leach nutriments. The enemy will guard them.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »

+1 to the electric pulses and pheromones

I say we should try to get a method of "vision" other than the pulses. Echolocation?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »

Another idea: become pack hunters using pherormones and hunt jawshell to extinction. (with all the above)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

Just so you know, guys, the jawshell is a cannibal anyway. So making you think it's one of them will still result in your devourification. And it doesn't really use hormones/pheromones/stuff that could make you befriend it. So yeah, trying to make friends with it will result in subsequent nommage.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

No trying to get friendly or whatever. Having a predator is good, it put pressure. I say MOAR SPEED. Speed all the way.
And a freakin' mouth and digestive tube forget the tube, we need only a pouch, and digestive capabilities powerful enough to eat anything.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »

We have jets, aye? We should try improving our poison, and gaining the ability to shoot it out in clouds.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »

Pincers! And moar speed and senses! And grow in size! And evolve the brain!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »

Yeah, let's evolve some catfish-style electrical sensors.
Or shark-style.

Also, should we evolve a more complex mouth? Or will we use tentacles forever?
I like tentacles, but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'd suggest working on an electrical pulse capability like many fishes can. Also strengthen our neurotoxin or add neurotoxin to our poisonous blend if it's absent. Also improve cognitive capability (perhaps evolving ganglia) and rudimentary social capacity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:17 pm »

Anchor hive to jawshell, insert electrical nematocyst into nervous system, take control?
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2013, 09:59:52 pm »

Anchor hive to jawshell, insert electrical nematocyst into nervous system, take control?
all of my yes
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:00 am »

all of my yes

Mine too.  We're basically evolving into an illithid, let's get on with out-thinking and mind-controlling our opponents.

Also, our tentacles should probably start conducting acid and digestive enzymes, instead of (or in addition to) poison.  It will help us get through shells in a grapple, if it comes down to that.  And eventually, through skulls to the delicious brains.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2013, 01:25:25 am »

all of my yes

Mine too.  We're basically evolving into an illithid, let's get on with out-thinking and mind-controlling our opponents.

Also, our tentacles should probably start conducting acid and digestive enzymes, instead of (or in addition to) poison.  It will help us get through shells in a grapple, if it comes down to that.  And eventually, through skulls to the delicious brains.
this is also part of my yes
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:40 am »

Get faster and get sight.
And +1 to the jets shooting out poison
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62