Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201456 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1860 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:09 am »

such that it is possible one dwarf could use a large weapon one handed, but another can not?
yes. The therapist should tell you which one can wield which weapons.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 18, 2014, 09:57:38 am »

Sweet, thanks, I was able to find what I needed.

I don't know if there's some logic to how they're arranged in the grid view or if it is generated dynamically based on loaded raw data, but the view was a little difficult to read, particularly since weapons of identical size are clustered (and those are not always part of the same logical group, for example training spears with axes). I created my own grid view with all weapons individually listed in alphabetical order, making it a little easier to find specific weapons.

If I was very familiar with the weapons I'd create more, breaking them down for each race, and ranged/melee, and then a group for special, but I have never played the kobold or orc forts. Of course, that's not really an excuse either since I could just dive into the manual/raws and figure it out from there. Nothing complex, just time consuming, and I am lazy and the alphabetical list works well enough.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:06 pm »

such that it is possible one dwarf could use a large weapon one handed, but another can not?

i thought this was bugged in fortress mode and all dwarves can equip the same things?  I have about 140 dwarves and not a single one of them deviates enough in size to be able to use a weapon with a different # of hands

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:54 pm »

magma spawned by magmalings does not enable my dwarves to make magmabased furnaces/workshops?
Is there any way around except hitting the magma lake to get access to those?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1864 on: January 18, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Research the liquid spawner. It will enable the magma workshops.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 18, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »

i thought this was bugged in fortress mode and all dwarves can equip the same things?  I have about 140 dwarves and not a single one of them deviates enough in size to be able to use a weapon with a different # of hands
DFHack should have the growth fix thing, which will properly vary their size, allowing dwarves on the larger end of the spectrum to use bigger weapons more effectively.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1866 on: January 19, 2014, 04:40:30 am »

DFHack should have the growth fix thing, which will properly vary their size, allowing dwarves on the larger end of the spectrum to use bigger weapons more effectively.
i hadn't even considered that the growth bug was causing the weapon equip bug, but that makes perfect sense. if that's the case, i can update therapist to use the unit's actual size again (it was disabled due to the bug).

Sweet, thanks, I was able to find what I needed.

I don't know if there's some logic to how they're arranged in the grid view or if it is generated dynamically based on loaded raw data, but the view was a little difficult to read, particularly since weapons of identical size are clustered (and those are not always part of the same logical group, for example training spears with axes). I created my own grid view with all weapons individually listed in alphabetical order, making it a little easier to find specific weapons.

If I was very familiar with the weapons I'd create more, breaking them down for each race, and ranged/melee, and then a group for special, but I have never played the kobold or orc forts. Of course, that's not really an excuse either since I could just dive into the manual/raws and figure it out from there. Nothing complex, just time consuming, and I am lazy and the alphabetical list works well enough.
yeah the view is dynamically generated, and since masterwork has such a massive amount of weapons, i ended up grouping them by size to reduce the amount of columns. another idea was to group them by weapon skill, which might be easier to search through...

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1867 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:23 am »

well, i've done some testing with weapons and body sizes, and i've got no idea what's going on. first, it seems like dwarves are larger than usual, with 70000 as the default body size instead of the vanilla 60000?

i had a halberd lying around in one of my forts that i used for testing, and every dwarf i assigned to use it picked it up. even the tiniest dwarf i had, who shouldn't have been able to equip it at all, was able to. furthermore, even this tiny dwarf was able to equip it in one hand with a shield!?

i'll have to do more testing  :o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 19, 2014, 08:57:25 am »

well, i've done some testing with weapons and body sizes, and i've got no idea what's going on. first, it seems like dwarves are larger than usual, with 70000 as the default body size instead of the vanilla 60000?

i had a halberd lying around in one of my forts that i used for testing, and every dwarf i assigned to use it picked it up. even the tiniest dwarf i had, who shouldn't have been able to equip it at all, was able to. furthermore, even this tiny dwarf was able to equip it in one hand with a shield!?

i'll have to do more testing  :o
I took a look at the raws, they indeed are size 70000.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1869 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:24 am »

Yes, they are. I always interpreted it as grams. 60000 grams = 60 kg. I know its cubic cm and that the actual weight differs from material to material, but thats how I envision all the creatures ingame. And I always think of dwarves as super burly, with a big belly.

That, and the fact that they can use human/elven armors. That was actually the main point. Trading was always very important to me, and it bothered me that your allies cant even sell you armor.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 19, 2014, 09:21:04 am »

That, and the fact that they can use human/elven armors.

Say what?  Is this something where Masterwork differs from vanilla?  Many of us noobs assume most things from vanilla Wiki apply directly; aren't the elves small and lithe?  As in, their fitted armor doesn't fit?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1871 on: January 19, 2014, 09:29:09 am »

I checked. vanilla humans are 70000, elves are 60000. I made dwarves 70000 because all that steel armor from humans was useless.

And yes, if creature are too large or too small (a big difference in body size to your civ-creature) then the shaped items are automatically tagged LARGE/SMALL, and you cant use them.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 19, 2014, 05:49:20 pm »

My opinion is that the Dwarf should be shorter than an elf / drow.  All of that traded armor should need to be melted down to make some of your own usable armor.

It always bothered me that you could order better armor from the humans than what you can craft early on. Since humans bring steel plate armors, there is very little reason to research the Armory until the late game when you are making plate volcanic.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:36 am »

what's wrong with plate mithril?  mithril is easy to get and is pretty cheap.  I use it for everything and steel just to upgrade stuff

are the material properties (density etc) in the manual or the wiki more correct?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:16:19 am by Verviticus »

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »

You should make it into welded mithril- it may not be much better, but it is a lot lighter and stretches your supply- it's not like titanium can really be used for anything else besides making expensive goblets.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 165