Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137164 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #750 on: September 20, 2016, 02:58:24 pm »

If you were flying to a system you've never visited before, if it hasn't changed, your officer stops the ship when you log out. Also it won't go without you on it either, though there's no problem flying to systems you've already explored.

P.S. This is an intentional design decision, not a bug.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 20, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »

Also it won't go without you on it either, though there's no problem flying to systems you've already explored.

What do you mean "it won't go without you on it either"? I've never visited the system I'm headed to, left my avatar on the ship and went out to lunch and do other things, now I'm on the system, and decelerating.
But I didn't know the ship would stop. I wonder if demiavatars can deadhead around while 'logged off'?

EDIT: I haven't reached there yet, but I already can see the cities and who it belongs to. Turns out it's the TL32 empire that visited me this week.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:05:36 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 20, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »

Got a month and have been enjoying my little empire of bird-people.

Seems like there's atleast a good handful of people hanging out in the eastern cluster to start with.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 20, 2016, 04:19:05 pm »

I mean when I played, you needed a logged-in player character on a ship for it to fly towards an unexplored (by you) system. It didn't care if you were afk, though, as long as you stayed logged in.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:17 pm »

Also it won't go without you on it either, though there's no problem flying to systems you've already explored.

What do you mean "it won't go without you on it either"? I've never visited the system I'm headed to, left my avatar on the ship and went out to lunch and do other things, now I'm on the system, and decelerating.
But I didn't know the ship would stop. I wonder if demiavatars can deadhead around while 'logged off'?
I updated the dark matter wiki page a little for you, hope it makes sense.
Foumd here: hazeron.com/wiki/Dark_Matter

Commonly people just set a long explanation mission and leave their avatar logged in over night. Then check the findings the next day.

As for deadheading travel time, I did some math on that a while back.
See:  hazeron.com/wiki/Deadhead

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 20, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »

Thanks, gotcha!
I just updated the Harvester Bay wiki page..I think it's the first wiki edit I've ever done. Mostly because I kept going there trying to remember what I needed to get for a Atmospheric Condenser Bay.

On my way back from the second TL32 empire I found on my backyard, I decided to do a lot of system surveys on my sector. Went afk to do some coffee, and when I got back I was dead and respawned back at the capital.
I did encounter a pirate ship on my way home and ran away from it, so either it damaged me, followed me, or it was a classic case of diving into an atmosphere. "Disintegrated by extreme hull stress.", with an inoperative power plant and 70% damaged gravity drive.  ::)

Oh well. Almost TL6 now but I have a LOT of building to do, since I spent most of my play time these last few days in exploring and designing stuff.

Also, I really like how loans are tied to Reputation. Exploring is REALLY rewarding. All the tech I have came from exploration money, because taxes and trading (with bad orders - still getting the hang of it) was barely enough to push to TL2. Harvesters are great, too. I'll probably use them to fill gaps in high QL resource production/transport until I get around to colonizing the planets they are harvesting in.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:40:14 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 21, 2016, 02:02:17 am »

Haxus is the only moderator now. But yeah, bad moderators can be found in any game/community, not to mention that everyone can have a bad day. I don't know how that event went down, but I have heard about it a number of times.

I think the main issue is that Haxus is the bad GM. At the time he was complicit, a year later he said it was the players fault for "provoking" ainb into abusing his position  ::)

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 21, 2016, 05:34:56 am »

Haxus is the only moderator now. But yeah, bad moderators can be found in any game/community, not to mention that everyone can have a bad day. I don't know how that event went down, but I have heard about it a number of times.
I think the main issue is that Haxus is the bad GM. At the time he was complicit, a year later he said it was the players fault for "provoking" ainb into abusing his position  ::)
Haxus did comment on the matter early last year.
See: http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7037&start=50#p79757
(Read the whole thread if you want the full context, but that page is good enough for for just Haxus's answer.)

As he said there, it was a long time ago (5 years now), so lets just let it go.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:58:24 am by Deantwo »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 21, 2016, 08:25:52 am »

We've all seen that before, and re-reading it doesn't magically make Haxus's posts there accurate or truthful. Haxus went so far as to claim Ainb was provoked. Ainb's empire was invaded because, iirc, attacks on the toucan empire were coming from his empire, executed by government officials in his empire, and when contracted about it, he did nothing about it. The system being used was taken to stop the attacks, and he became exceedingly belligerent towards the most powerful empire in the game, which had almost all the other powerful empires as allies. (The only ones which weren't were the ones that had co-opted his empire for their attacks)

To be clear, I'm going from memory, which isn't always perfect, but I've tried to avoid saying anything I was uncertain about.

I remember the thing about his wife, too, where he cited her for why he was doing a ban.

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:57 am »

We've all seen that before, and re-reading it doesn't magically make Haxus's posts there accurate or truthful.
And bringing the topic up again and again, doesn't magically change the fact that it happened 5 years ago. That is two universes ago, and progress doesn't transfer over to the present univers. So why should the drama?

To be clear, I'm going from memory, which isn't always perfect, but I've tried to avoid saying anything I was uncertain about.
I wouldn't be surprised if no one knows the full story anymore. I still don't understand why anyone still cares about it.

I didn't know about Hazeron at the time this happened. So maybe I am just fed up with hearing the complaints about something that has nothing to do with how the game is now.
I am sure Haxus and Ainbheartach learned their lesson in how to moderate. Ainbheartach isn't even around anymore.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 21, 2016, 09:16:46 am »

I am sure Haxus ... learned [his] lesson in how to moderate.

I reached the opposite conclusion - Denial isn't a sign of learning. vOv

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

We've all seen that before, and re-reading it doesn't magically make Haxus's posts there accurate or truthful. Haxus went so far as to claim Ainb was provoked. Ainb's empire was invaded because, iirc, attacks on the toucan empire were coming from his empire, executed by government officials in his empire, and when contracted about it, he did nothing about it. The system being used was taken to stop the attacks, and he became exceedingly belligerent towards the most powerful empire in the game, which had almost all the other powerful empires as allies. (The only ones which weren't were the ones that had co-opted his empire for their attacks)

I remember the thing about his wife, too, where he cited her for why he was doing a ban.

Mostly correct, with the addition that when contacted about the attacks Ainb threatened the toucan empire in private messages with gm powers. After the PMs were immediately posted in public on the forums, haxus did nothing except lock the thread and make a vague one liner about the thread being over.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one knows the full story anymore. I still don't understand why anyone still cares about it.

I didn't know about Hazeron at the time this happened. So maybe I am just fed up with hearing the complaints about something that has nothing to do with how the game is now.
I am sure Haxus and Ainbheartach learned their lesson in how to moderate. Ainbheartach isn't even around anymore.
I have the full story written down somewhere for anyone who wants it, i think my care was reignited slightly when haxus started charging money despite the low level of professionalism.

As shadowlord pointed out they show no sign of learning from the experience, it wouldn't have taken much more than an apology either. As it stands, it will happen again, and its fair for paying customers to know they're buying into a game with these kind of issues. Looking in my haz folder now i have the webpages in the more recent threads(from when the servers were taken down) archived, they show some choice ainb quotes that really quite clearly demonstrate exactly what ainb learned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:53:50 am by Mattk50 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:17 am »

Guys, can we please not import 5-year-old drama from other forums? Surely we have enough of it here.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:44 am »

Yeah..drama by itself is not good, but I guess the folks have a reason to post about it since it intends to warn players.
At least it's good to know that the moderator is not around anymore, and I haven't seen any annoying posts by Haxus recently (I used to find his writing very annoying years ago, but I don't do a lot of reading on the game forum either).

I'm also glad the forum is now as quiet as it is. Older threads, especially those from the PTMC times, are insanely obnoxious. You had a minuscule community full of people going out of their way to be as annoying and unlikeable as possible, as if to suppress the small player base the game already had.
That's why when Planepacked attacked PTMC (I believe?), I wasn't playing actively, my system was REALLY late on tech..but I jumped on the first invasion ship I saw from another Bay12er and assault-jumped on their flags.  :P

Now..I don't know how things are in general, but both TL32 empires near me are chill and one offered me all their tech. Since I want to make at least one full playthrough, I refused.  ::)
But we are declared as friends for each other, so that's nice.

In other news, my Harvesters forget to buy Hydrogen and run out of fuel. One of them got stranded on a moon, the other one had only very low fuel left while harvesting above lava..thankfully I was monitoring it via comms..
An old ship that was in orbit ran out of fuel and fell down in the middle of my city, which proceeded to scare the shit out of me.
Later on, I re-designed a ship to fit a Space Fighter (the ultimate tool for city-building), except I placed it over the ladder that gave access to the rest of the ship.
Next, I designed a silly ship for test purposes, except I forgot to open the bridge's walls, so you can't fly it.

I'm a pro.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 21, 2016, 01:41:24 pm »

It might be worth re-testing to see if "dark matter" really does destroy ships that fly into unexplored systems without a player online on them. I say re-testing because back when Starborn Dominion was a thing, I launched a tl2 colony ship without ftl drives, and went for several days before I stopped and colonized somewhere. Iirc I made sure there were only ad many crew as stations, and then I killed the helmsman and put the ship on maximum acceleration.

There were some bugs, the ship would sometimes get turned in a different direction upon entering a system, or might reset the helm controls and stop the ship, but they were mostly just annoyances and weren't happening in every transition.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65