Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137322 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:37 pm »

After the first time it tends to be intentional.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2015, 06:46:13 pm »

Well, this is idiotic.
I liked my city. I liked my planet. I liked my system.
Now the Syndicate gets to claim my territory though I was the first person to even set foot in this sector.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:14 pm »

Well, "gets to" isn't necessarily the case. I'm sure that people would love the story of a valiant local who resisted being forced out of their home by the cruel imperialists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

Sounds like the tear-harvest has begun.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:06 pm »

I'd join you in fighting the syndicate, but tbh, I don't want to spend ten bucks a month on Hazeron.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:22 pm »

I'd join you in fighting the syndicate, but tbh, I don't want to spend ten bucks a month on Hazeron.
+1 on that. (Especially on the monthly fee)

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2015, 12:18:57 am »

I really hate the fact I'm now forced to have to beeline to explore through the wormholes in my sector, which both lead to another sector just to see if it is now offlimits to me.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2015, 12:38:15 am »

It seems to me that thats part of playing a PVP game.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2015, 12:55:25 am »

Perhaps, but I was hoping to establish myself a little more to make good use of the better resources on other celestial bodies before having to discover if my location needs to be heavily fortified and prepared to face another empire. Technically, its not fully related to PvP why I'm annoyed. Its more of the immense possibly of a real nasty problem to that little warning posted. There is actually a possibility that things just got a whole lot more complicated for me, without actually causing direct conflict. Its a possible "between a rock and a hard place" scenario.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:57:42 am by Therolyn »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:33 am »

When my original empire fell apart and I started a one-person empire years ago and spawned in the middle of Starborn Dominion territory, I just teched to TL2 and then flew for a while at the speed limit until I was in the middle of nowhere and nobody was anywhere near me, then settled there. That said, I eventually got bored with the hunt for higher TL resources when I wasn't actually doing anything meaningful with them, and tired of my freighters diving into suns (so I joined Tymas, and had much more fun there).

When I joined Tymas, my empire (which I left behind to slowly decay or be conquered) had colonies in 12 systems, TL30 cryozine, TL31 oil, TL31 vulcium, theoretical access to TL30 ioplasma (lava planet, so with harvesters), and TL32 Eludium, Lumenite, Minerals, Water (and thus Air and Hydrogen), Ore, and Crystals, so I could make good ships, technologically speaking, but I had no opponents anywhere nearby. Besides which, a one-person empire against anything with more people is likely to be outmatched regardless of technology, if they don't handicap themselves.

Frankly, you really don't need resources that good to make decent ships. Especially not troop transports, which is what you need to take planets. If you want warships, you mostly just need to be efficient. You need enough capacitors to be able to fire your weapons rapidly (there's a maximum rate), your ship should be heavily armored, and shielded well. Most people seemed to build a ginormous weapon, put just enough capacitors to fire it, and then wonder why, when they got into combat, they fired one shot and then got machine-gunned to death by the enemy ship before their capacitors had recharged enough to fire again.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 18, 2015, 01:39:00 am »

I actually really dislike the Syndicate in both universes.
The problem with it is how it's by far the biggest superpower in Hazeron. It just ruins the game. In the universe before the Syndicate, we had multiple superpowers at edge with each other (PTMC, Tymas, etc.), but now we have the Syndicate and a bunch of small empires being pushed around by the Syndicate.

The syndicate has over 17 active players. Most empires have 1-4 players total.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2015, 01:47:33 am »

SS13 forces me to despise anything with the name Syndicate.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2015, 01:51:55 am »

I will have to keep that in mind. I've been lucky (or unlucky) to have avoided most conflict in the past, so the concepts of warfare are not too well known by myself. In the past, I've not had a lot of focus in designing good warships, I did have a stint back about 12-18 months ago where I did try designing ships more suited to warfare, although I never did design a large troop transport (I've mainly been a one-man empire and only occasionally I was in a two-man empire). I will have to see if I still have any of my old designs and will have to evaluate them if I do. I'm not particularly worried about an early invasion: I'm not at risk of that the risk is expansion wise, its very possible that my expansion from my home system could become very difficult.

The possibility stems from the fact that my location in my sector and the wormholes that lead out make all the worhholes in my home system lead out into a single nearby sector. As I know of the sector now "claimed" by the Syndicate include that of a nearly sector neighbor. Taking into account named sectors around my own I have concluded that there is a possibility that my 2 home wormholes "could" lead directly into now Syndicate claimed space. That (if it happens to be the case) could mean travel by wormholes very difficult for me. forcing me to likely "dead-head deeper into my home sector.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:59:35 am by Therolyn »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:03 am »

As both a bay12er and a syndicate member I'd rather not see the two ways of thinking come to odds.

I have some seniority in the syndicate at this point (mainly by right of being with them for a little while) so I could probably arrange some more acceptable deals for any of you caught up in the syndicates standard expansion.  Chiefwaffles for instance, has demonstrated that he has extensive game experience on par with some of the best of the syndicate, so I could easily make the case that he is worth sparing.  He also built up 138 citizens in a matter of a couple days from scratch, which is in excess of what most of us can manage individually.  I would ask you gentlemen to give me a day or so to speak with them before you totally give up on the game.

And by more acceptable deal I don't mean 'have some influenza blankets' I mean full or near-full autonomy with some kind of resource exchange treaty.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 18, 2015, 06:05:02 am »

I don't see how you can expect a monolithic empire that consistently crushes all opposition to not be at odds with a lot of people.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 65