Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137200 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2013, 11:58:32 am »

bumping this thread for news, the last patches added a 19 new galaxies, looks like Haxus's plans to make a galaxy for every type of player, i mean, one galaxy will be a no PvP zone which is locked to TL7 production. the other will be the normal, classic galaxy.

i dont know about the others, in other news, it seems that to get to these new galaxies you'll have to cross the massive blackholes in the center of each galaxy.

spaceship models and editor revamps seem to be the next plan before (or after?) the restart.

TBH i dont know what to think about the game, the last updates have me in a 50/50 position, i dont see the need of having more than 1 galaxy, he could just have made an NPC empire for noobs and gave the option to leave from it and found other empires once you had had enough knowledge of the game, the empire would have its restrictions in order to evade exploits. but anyways, he does what he likes for its game. pity.....

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »

bumping this thread for news, the last patches added a 19 new galaxies, looks like Haxus's plans to make a galaxy for every type of player, i mean, one galaxy will be a no PvP zone which is locked to TL7 production. the other will be the normal, classic galaxy.

i dont know about the others, in other news, it seems that to get to these new galaxies you'll have to cross the massive blackholes in the center of each galaxy.

spaceship models and editor revamps seem to be the next plan before (or after?) the restart.

TBH i dont know what to think about the game, the last updates have me in a 50/50 position, i dont see the need of having more than 1 galaxy, he could just have made an NPC empire for noobs and gave the option to leave from it and found other empires once you had had enough knowledge of the game, the empire would have its restrictions in order to evade exploits. but anyways, he does what he likes for its game. pity.....

SoH's playerbase is way too small to be splitting it across multiple galaxies. The last 2 or 3 times I made a character, the most people I ever saw online were 30.  :-\
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

Haxus was contemplating reducing the galaxy size as well to 20% (and by 20% i mean diameter: 500pc to 100pc).  Said if it didn't look good he wouldn't do it though. (calculate it as ~20 stars per sector and current x/y = 512, z = 256 to see how drastically it would reduce density).

One of the other counter-intuitive things is, galaxy size only really effects star density (and I guess the easy travel-to-coordinate orders) as you can still keep going out and generating single star sectors past that.  I did talk to him about it, may need to some more.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »

the game's universe its still too massive for separating it from just a single galaxy, it was unnecessary.......

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »

Just to be clear, what is and isn't in the game, practically speaking?  I get the impression the bulk of the game is RTS with a bit of firefly style spaceships and feck all in planetbound exercises. I also get the impression that the game is pretty playercentric.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »

Just to be clear, what is and isn't in the game, practically speaking?  I get the impression the bulk of the game is RTS with a bit of firefly style spaceships and feck all in planetbound exercises. I also get the impression that the game is pretty playercentric.
Gameplay is separated into three stages and areas.
The first is the personal stage, where you run around the planet on foot.  This lasts for all of 20 seconds until you kill the guide and turn his skin into your city flag (a fitting setting!).
Second is city management, which is generally done zoomed out to get an RTS view, placing buildings, ordering what they do, and balancing your population, which takes a majority of your time.
Third is space flight, which is generally to get between planets.  Warships are easily possible though, which is how you roam around looking for NPC pirates or other players to rough up.

While the galaxy splitting may sound extreme, I think it'll end up being more themed.  If you want to experience some low-level rumbles, you can pop over to your TL7 outpost and test your low-scale design and how they'll fare against other low-scale, easy-entry combat ships.  The vast bulk of playing will be done on the lowest number, default 'open rules' galaxy.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »

I can definitely see empires claiming galaxies and blockading the entrance. Just watch Syndicate in the next universe claim a galaxy for themselves.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2013, 08:39:54 pm »

Well now, if they do that, I suspect an alliance could be formed for the sake of making a breakthrough.
COULD YOU REPEAT YOURSELF?  I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ALL THIS DWARFPOWER!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »

Ooh, that's a pretty interesting positive of the galaxies. We now have actual contested spots. Whereas with the old single galaxy, you had tons of different routes to places; deadheading, warp, or one of the probable many wormholes. With the 20 galaxies, you have 20 very important wormholes. Maybe we can see some fleet battles at these locations.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:38 pm »

Thing is, GiH, would a single empire be able to break it?

I mean, if they entrench themselves hard enough...
Thing is, it's based much more on player counts and empire space rather than empire count.  In the current system (read: as of like July) the available ships you can field is your online players + officers, so that's your Players + Moderate Temperature Planets.  Officers can be slaved to follow orders, bringing their own ship, and players can captain their own vessel as well.

In theory, one empire could dominate a dozen empires, assuming it had more active ships.  If this doesn't change, then it's simply a matter of agreeing on a time to be on (or doing terrible inactive raids) and bringing collective armies to bear.  B12 could, and probably should, take their own galaxy.  The Mountainhome.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »

I'm kinda interested in this. It looks simple enough for me to run it, at least :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

Be aware that it lags to buggery and back, and it's FPS is below the 24-ish limit for humans to see it as smooth movement.

Seriously, moving takes about three seconds to register, and it's like watching a fast slideshow.
This happens most often planetside though.  In space, FPS improves drastically.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »

Indeed. It's pretty on-and-off too, regardless of how powerful your graphics card is. But as a general rule, space battles won't suffer from FPS problems whereas running around on a planet is a crapshoot.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »

Ah, Shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I plan on avoiding the city-managing stuff, and plan on being a ship designer/bounty-hunter/pirate/military guy, depending on how I feel and what is needed.
You may be required to make circuits then.  That is, travel to different systems and look at them.  Systems get global morale drops (and thus population drops) when no player or officer has been there recently.  I believe it's every 3 days, a brief visit will placate them that their government has not abandoned them.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »

Based off of reading some of the game manuals, this looks right up my alley. I can handle being some form of administrator. What is combat like? I cant see anything mentioning it in the game manuals.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 65