Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Looking for "assumptions about relations" psych test  (Read 5105 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for "assumptions about relations" psych test
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »

There's a standard psychology test that involves a story about several different people, in which you're asked to rank the people in order of how "ok" their behaviors are. It goes something like:

"Bob likes Alice. Alice likes Charlie. Alice asks out Charlie, but he rejects her, so she sleeps with David, then goes to Edward for advice and he refuses to give it."

Can anyone point me to the full text of the test?

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for "assumptions about relations" psych test
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »

This is the Robin Hood Morality Test. The full text is:

The Sheriff of Nottingham captured Little John and Robin Hood and imprisoned them in his maximum-security dungeon. Maid Marion begged the Sheriff for their release, pleading her love for Robin. The Sheriff agreed to release them only if Maid Marion spent the night with him. To this she agreed. The next morning the Sheriff released his prisoners. Robin at once demanded that Marion tell him how she persuaded the Sheriff to let them go free. Marion confessed the truth, and was bewildered when Robin abused her, called her a slut, and said that he never wanted to see her again. At this Little John defended her, inviting her to leave Sherwood with him and promising lifelong devotion. She accepted and they rode away together.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:30:39 pm »

This is the Robin Hood Morality Test. The full text is:

The Sheriff of Nottingham captured Little John and Robin Hood and imprisoned them in his maximum-security dungeon. Maid Marion begged the Sheriff for their release, pleading her love for Robin. The Sheriff agreed to release them only if Maid Marion spent the night with him. To this she agreed. The next morning the Sheriff released his prisoners. Robin at once demanded that Marion tell him how she persuaded the Sheriff to let them go free. Marion confessed the truth, and was bewildered when Robin abused her, called her a slut, and said that he never wanted to see her again. At this Little John defended her, inviting her to leave Sherwood with him and promising lifelong devotion. She accepted and they rode away together.
For giggles here's my response to that:

Both Robin Hood and the Sheriff are horrible people, but Marion's mostly okay. The Sheriff's a rapist who will probably manipulate her further in the future, Robin's a douchebag in a variety of ways, and Marion's easily manipulated and lied to (but otherwise without fault).

Marion should dump both those jerks and go with someone else.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:39:18 pm »

Conceptually similar, but this is not the test that I'm looking for. I also note that this test contains an awful lot of context that completely defeats the purpose of the test, which is to allow the reader to fill in the blanks with their own assumptions rather than simply read them directly from the text.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:43:46 pm »

In that case, I'll take it to the Shit Let's Be Thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:49 pm »

The Sheriff's a rapist

No, he's not a rapist. He made an offer, Marion accepted, and he honored the terms.

He is, however, abusing his position of authority by releasing a criminal in his custody in exchange for personal gain. Which, again...is part of the problem with this test. It provides all the context rather than allowing the reader to fill it in themselves.

Marion's easily manipulated and lied to

Why do you conclude that? Nobody lied to her.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »

I actually misread the story at first. My more accurate reaction is in the other thread, so please ignore the previous one in this thread.

The Sheriff's still a rapist, though. There are more ways to force someone into sex than physical violence, and all of them are rape.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 11:35:57 am »

I would consider that to be valid consent, unless it was the only way that they would leave the dungeon alive; in which case the consent is invalidated by it being the only choice.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:01:44 pm »

The Sheriff's still a rapist, though.
Sheriff = Higher authority

T'was rape

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

Looking at the write-ups it seems we're supposed to find Robin Hood better than the Sheriff in this scenario but...sorry, but pressuring a woman into sex is despicable, rejecting the (most likely traumatised) woman afterwards? Also despicable. If anything, I'd put Robin below the Sheriff here...Maid Marion and Little John are about equal, I guess...

The Sheriff abused his position, but he at least by kept to his deal and left her a choice. She arguably still had some control over the situation, but...horrible situation none-the-less, and she didn't have near enough control for it to be in anyway close to anything but despicable. Robin in this situation never does anything honest or dishonest except get angry at someone who loves him and who is most likely traumatised on a fundamental level. That just makes him a generally terrible human being, as bad as or maybe even worse than the Sheriff.

Maid Marion accepted a terrible offer, is probably traumatised on a fundamental level, and has been judged horribly by the man she loved.

Little John was there to pick up the pieces, doesn't really do anything terrible except take a traumatised woman away. Of course he could of done that without promising lifelong devotion (Again: Maid Marion is probably pretty traumatised here so not the time or place for that) and just offering to take her away from the people who remind her of the pain to heal...

Although I do find it interesting that "Maid Marion, Little John, The Sheriff, Robin Hood" makes me 'sexually uninhibited' since I'm...well, not very interested in sex. But romantic? Sure, I can get behind that. I do enjoy candlelight dinners and night-time walks by the beach talking at sunset and under the stars...still, this kind of test probably says more about the test writer than the tested.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:42:35 pm by MorleyDev »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

I actually misread the story at first. My more accurate reaction is in the other thread, so please ignore the previous one in this thread.
The Sheriff's still a rapist, though. There are more ways to force someone into sex than physical violence, and all of them are rape.
I think calling the Sheriff a rapist here robs Marion of agency, and is fundamentally demeaning to her. And I'm not sure I buy the argument. Marion makes a choice, yes, but her hand is not forced. She will suffer no injury if she refuses. The situation will not get any worse than it was before she initiated the conversation and begged for an option. There are other (albeit less likely to succeed) alternatives. You are forcing her to play the role of victim, and denying her ability to make decisions. Which is, imo, pretty damn terrible in it's own right (or would be, if she were real).

Is the Sheriff a bad guy here? Yes, undoubtedly. But I think it's a mistake to call his crime rape. Abuse of power? Corruption? Lack of integrity? All of the above and more. But Marion's choice was never anything but voluntary.

If he had, instead, said he would accept money to free them, would you say he was guilty of theft? I think that's a hard sell, but it's the same division as the one you've cast (between a crime of corruption/abuse of power, and between a crime against a person).

Now, if he had captured the two with the explicity purpose of setting up this scenario, and approached Marion with the offer, or if he had threatened to do worse things to them unless she agreed, yes, I'd agree there would be coercion there. The force is being applied explicitly towards that outcome, and Marion would be making a far more reactive decision.

But for her to approach him, after he's done what he was planning on doing anyways, and to ask "What can I do to obtain something I desire?", it is not coercion for someone to say "Give me [blah] and I'll give you what you want, otherwise it's not worth it to me and I'll continue doing what I was going to do if you never approached me."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:55:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »

im split between:
jrms
You are a cautious type, neutral, and rather insecure. You would agree with the idea that everybody has his price - and in your own case it would not be high.

Men: You are sexually inhibited with an underlying distrust of women.

AND
jmrs
You are fairly broadminded romantic and reasonably contented. You value kindness greatly and try to live by your ideals. You do not conceal from yourself, or from others, your strong need for security, which may be either emotional or material.

Men: Perhaps you tend to idealize women and credit them with virtues they don't possess.

i think the second one would eventually disappear from me though.

what i think of the characters:
marion: either stupid or slutty or both, only reason she isnt the worst is cuz theres other ppl who are worse.
robin:ok so someone did something you find unthinkable, no reason to be a jerk and abuse the poor girl right? i find his reaction acceptable but the way he handled it to be unacceptable.
sheriff: the worst of the lot, lets the robbers go free, and what he made marion do was appauling.
little john: forgiveness is a virtue, even if its for someone who does not deserve it, little john should smarten up a little, but he has a kind heart.

EDIT: i think this test is too black and white after looking at the answers to it, theres at once 1 more that fits me at least reasonably well. I spent most of my time in the test deciding who was the worst.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:36:28 pm by Catsup »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »

mjrs
Interpretation

We would expect you to be a happy, well-balanced person who likes people and is liked by others. You question whether many conventional views on morality are valid under all circumstances.

Men: Do we detect a sense of chivalry and idealism under the sophistication?

Neat.  :)

I typed out a little rant while trying to decide.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:21:14 pm by SethCreiyd »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:17:05 pm »

Hey guys, got actual discussion of the Robin Hood test going on in this thread.

Also, SethCreiyd, your font size change really messed with my head and I thought you might want to know my unappreciation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8