Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surviving the winter...  (Read 4228 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving the winter...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:09 am »

Hello, I am a long time lurker but I dont post much. Just wanted to point out that the work around the seed bug is not so complicated if you know how to set up a stock pile.

Just set a food stockpile near your farm, open its settings and forbid all food except seeds. Then make the number of accepted barrels in this stockpile 0 and your all set. This is all I do and I never get that message.

solves some of the problems, however seeds are still stored in bags (200 per  bag) and since there is a cap on seed-items, they'll still have all the plump helmet seeds in the bag when they go to get the extra seeds from the still, so its still possible to get some canceled jobs.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:29 pm »

alright.

Make 2 stockpiles; one for seeds, and one for input.

The input pile should be near your brewing, milling, and threshing activities, but ESPECIALLY the brewing. 
The seed pile must be right next to the input pile. 
The input pile must have seeds enabled, and all other food disabled. 

q the seed pile, and tell it to "take from a pile".  press enter when over the input pile. 
Now, tell the seed pile to "take from links only".

voila, you will have a lot less cancellation spam from seeds unavailable. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »

Nothing really to add here, but I have to say, you guys never cease to impress being helpful to newbies. I remember being new myself and I seriously would never have managed to properly flood goblin armies (and half my fort) with magma if it weren't for you guys. :)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 11:37:23 pm »

I remember being new myself and I seriously would never have managed to properly flood goblin armies (and half my fort) with magma if it weren't for you guys. :)

There is no improper way to flood the map with magma.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Emperor Wofly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »

If there is one thing I regret, it is that I have yet to strike magma.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:32:04 pm by Emperor Wofly »
Woof woof motherfucker.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:44 pm »

Not sure if this has been said, but you need both plants AND waterproof containers to brew alcohol. Rock pots (made by stonecrafters with 1 boulder in the crafts shop) are the easiest (in fact, so easy that i challenge myself and refuse to make them :P). Barrels (made by carpenters with 1 log in the carpenter shop) are the next best thing.

So be sure to have a surplus of empty containers. Healthy dwarves consume around 2 units of booze per season, so even a middling fortress can go through several barrels per season.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »

Barrels are needed for a few specific purposes - building asheries and dyer's shops, processing sweet pods (process plant to barrel) - but you can also make large pots from wood. They have a larger capacity than barrels.

Barrels can be bought off caravans, a base quality one costs a mere 10 gold. I often don't make barrels myself, because the container needs are easily covered by imports. When trading outside during the freezing season, watch the prices of 'empty' barrels carefully - a base-quality barrel can be rated at 20, 30 or 40, those contain frozen liquids (blood, milk) but don't announce their contents in the normal trade window.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:25 am »

Not sure if this has been said, but you need both plants AND waterproof containers to brew alcohol. Rock pots (made by stonecrafters with 1 boulder in the crafts shop) are the easiest (in fact, so easy that i challenge myself and refuse to make them :P). Barrels (made by carpenters with 1 log in the carpenter shop) are the next best thing.

So be sure to have a surplus of empty containers. Healthy dwarves consume around 2 units of booze per season, so even a middling fortress can go through several barrels per season.
I believe you can also make pots from clay, but it requires fuel for the kiln.  Its been a while since I looked into that however, so I could easily be misremembering.

Personally, I keep my seed stockpile immediately adjacent to the farm(s) so the farmer walks at most 20 tiles round trip when planting. I use the storage pile (with barrels) that only takes from the neighboring input pile (no barrels) method as well.  I don't think I've ever seen farming cancellation spam since I started doing that.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 04:58:31 am »

Yep, you can make clay pots but if they're not fire clay they need to be glazed before they can hold liquids (ie booze), which consumes a unit of ash, ie a unit of wood, so you've not actually gained anything over making a wooden pot from the wood and in fact wasted some time and labour.

Glass pots on the other hand don't need glazing, take no fuel if you have magma, and use sand, an infinitely-renewable resource, as their only input.

I would add however that dwarves don't shift liquids between containers that're half-full, so that means the extra capacity of pots vs barrels isn't used when you're brewing. When you brew a drink, a stack of plants is chosen and then each plant in the stack gets turned into 5 units of drink, and all those units of drink get put in the container regardless of whether that's 50% or 200% of the container's supposed capacity. No more liquid will be added to the container until it's empty. And pots weigh more than barrels, so your dwarves will take longer to lug the same weight of booze around.

But you can make them from things other than wood, so that's good.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 03:40:41 pm »

You can disable seed hauling altogether if you link your seed-producing workshops to stockpiles that don't accept seeds. If you ever deconstruct the workshops there'll be a mad scramble for the seeds, and while you can take special measures to remove these new ones from circulation it's easier to place the (temporary) food stockpile for the new seeds somewhere where the farmers and cooks will go for them before the seeds in the new workshops.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:30 pm »

It's not actually strange that dwarves survive by just drinking booze. It obviously contains water as well, and historically people in the Middle Ages mainly drank wine and mead etc if they could afford it. Water was only drunk if you absolutely had to, since you'd often get diseases from it.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 11:47:36 pm »

Except that dwarven brewing does NOT add water...Yet.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:34 am »

Except that dwarven brewing does NOT add water...Yet.

In the case of winemaking, water doesn't need to be added, at least for the berry wines brewing without extra water should be realistic. It's another matter when looking at mash-based alcohol - beer, ale, whisky, rum.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:04 am »

Hello, I am a long time lurker but I dont post much. Just wanted to point out that the work around the seed bug is not so complicated if you know how to set up a stock pile.

Just set a food stockpile near your farm, open its settings and forbid all food except seeds. Then make the number of accepted barrels in this stockpile 0 and your all set. This is all I do and I never get that message.
I'm actually having a slightly different problem.  All my plump helmets are stored in one barrel, and that barrel keeps getting removed from my food stockpile to put new plump helmets into when they're harvested.  This causes my repeating "brew drink" order on the nearby still to get cancelled because no brewable items are available.  I guess I could have a plants-only stockpile and limit it to 0 barrels, but then one plant would take up one tile so it would not hold much.  Really I need a way to limit barrels to holding maybe 5 plants so several barrels will be used to store the plump helmets.

Admittedly this should only be a problem early on - once you get a few hundred plump helmets, they will be stored in different barrels anyway.  Still it would be nice to solve this problem until you get tons of plants to brew with.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:12 am »

Who knows, maybe plump helmets etc. just absorb a LOT of water from the ground.
Pages: 1 [2]