Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing underwater creatures  (Read 2580 times)

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing underwater creatures
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »

So I've had a bit of a plan to make an underwater farming operation out of things like whales and what not. Generally just some fairly exotic food and what not. This idea was inspired by the sea serpent farming topic posted here, however I don't have any real desire to breed them, although I might if I can find a breeding pair of some creature that isn't an egg layer and sparks my fancy. My problem is after four forts attempting to catch creature fish, I've caught nothing but sea otters which I can easily just hunt when they come on land. I'm using the same shoreline method described in the sea serpent thread, but it seems I'm just not seeing the same results. Ideas?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing underwater creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »

the trick is to embark near a terrifying ocean so that they walk onto land and come to you.

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 08:32:32 pm »

the trick is to embark near a terrifying ocean so that they walk onto land and come to you.

Yes yes, I've done the terrifying ocean biome, zombies don't provide meat and they're just a real hassle to deal with. Current embark is on a terrifying jungle of some kind, the zombie giant eagles are more of a nunsance than anything else.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:59 pm »

Yes yes, I've done the terrifying ocean biome, zombies don't provide meat and they're just a real hassle to deal with. Current embark is on a terrifying jungle of some kind, the zombie giant eagles are more of a nunsance than anything else.
well then i guess you were unlucky, some undead animals come as skeletons and only provide bones, but most are non-rotten fleshy corpses. And a undead whale that gets caged and butchered (killed and then butchered) in a controlled setting will provide enough food for your fort for life.

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »

I don't think you understand, this is a plan which has the main goal of challenge.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »

If it's live ocean creatures you're interested in, try embarking in such a way that you have as many individual ocean biomes as possible. Along narrow isthmus with different bodies of water on either side, or upon a shoreline where the temperate ocean meets the warmer tropical waters. If a river flows into the ocean, you'll have access to those aquatic creatures too.

Also, you may not get new sea creatures to visit your map if there are still free-roaming animals elsewhere - I understand there are certain restrictions on how many wild creatures there can be on your map at any given point in time. Even if you're only interested in aquatic animals, you may find it to your advantage to extend your operations to capturing land animals as well.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »

If it's live ocean creatures you're interested in, try embarking in such a way that you have as many individual ocean biomes as possible. Along narrow isthmus with different bodies of water on either side, or upon a shoreline where the temperate ocean meets the warmer tropical waters. If a river flows into the ocean, you'll have access to those aquatic creatures too.

Also, you may not get new sea creatures to visit your map if there are still free-roaming animals elsewhere - I understand there are certain restrictions on how many wild creatures there can be on your map at any given point in time. Even if you're only interested in aquatic animals, you may find it to your advantage to extend your operations to capturing land animals as well.
I tend to just hunt the land animals to extenction, easiest answer for me, since I can let that run while I build up my basic operations. Hadn't thought of the multiple biome oceans. Good idea, will try that next round.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:27:17 pm »

I don't think you understand, this is a plan which has the main goal of challenge.
i think terrifying is pretty challenging

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »

Skeletons don't provide. Zombies on the other hand are rather delicious sources of meat.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:04 am »

In an older version of DF, I was able to catch some carp by building cage traps then flooding them. I then recovered the cages by closing the floodgates to the river and pumping out all the water.

No idea how my dwarves did it, but they were even able to tame them.  :P

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:03:23 am »

Read Sphalerite's sea monster sea serpent catching and breeding operation.  To force his serpents to spawn so he could catch them, he invented many ways to capture large aquatic animals from the sea, including draining the sea over some cage traps.  I believe he said the most effective method was the easiest.  Dig some pools on the beach separate from the surf, line them with cage traps, then dig openings to the ocean so creatures will path inland, and end up caged in the constructed pools.  Then rinse, harvest, reload, and repeat.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »

Read Sphalerite's sea monster sea serpent catching and breeding operation.  To force his serpents to spawn so he could catch them, he invented many ways to capture large aquatic animals from the sea, including draining the sea over some cage traps.  I believe he said the most effective method was the easiest.  Dig some pools on the beach separate from the surf, line them with cage traps, then dig openings to the ocean so creatures will path inland, and end up caged in the constructed pools.  Then rinse, harvest, reload, and repeat.
I'm using the same shoreline method described in the sea serpent thread, but it seems I'm just not seeing the same results. Ideas?
here is my design
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121893.msg3962558#msg3962558
I'll give this a shot, thanks.