Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't Pull Lever during Civilian Alert  (Read 2399 times)

TehSenshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't Pull Lever during Civilian Alert
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »

Hey, so I'm pretty new to the game, and I just encountered my first Siege. It's a small horde of undead. I don't have much in terms of a military, so right now my #1 choice is to just hide like a sissy and wait it out.

Now, here's my problem: I can't pull my lever to pull my bridge up while the civilian alert is up and they're all huddled away in my dining hall (my burrow). I can't turn my civilian alert back off, because if I do, some retard dwarfs will run out of the fort to do what-the-fuck ever before someone can pull the damn lever, causing said retard dwarfs to get locked out and eaten by undead.

So, what can I do? I tried making it so that my squad is active during the civilian alert, but I don't think they are. They're certainly not pulling the damn lever, that's for sure. Would appreciate a quick response, as I can't exactly resume the game without knowing. x3

Thanks, B12!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Pull Lever during Civilian Alert
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:43:51 pm »

make the alert burrow include the lever

TehSenshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58:19 pm »

Ah, that actually worked! Thanks. I hope this bridge and a little moat is enough to keep them out...

One more question, though; Is it possible to wait this out? Will the undead go away? Or do I have to kill them? For that matter, how do you kill undead? I know they just resurrect again from their corpses. (Heh, sorry, guess that was 2 questions.)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:50:39 pm »

Undead only resurrect if there's something to make them. Specifically, a necromancer or cursed terrain. If you're just getting sieged by zombies from a tower, then if you murderize the necromancers, then stuff stays dead.

As far as making them stay dead.... You can wall them up, you can atom-smash the corpses under a draw bridge, you can melt the corpses in magma (though magma does NOT affect animated corpses--beware), you can probably encase them in obsidian and I think that destroys the body, maybe. Or you can cage them and stuff them all in the zoo. Butchering corpses, if you can convince your dwarves to do it (IE they're not sentient and the useless fucks can get the corpse to the workshop and work on it before it animates, if they're even able to find it.) If you butcher them, though, make sure you tan them AND spin any hair into thread, as those pieces will reanimate separately.

I don't think undead leave on their own, unless they're the "wild animals" that the biome features. Created undead don't go away on their own, and I don't know about sieges. Start producing buzz-saws of death, I suppose. (Actually, spiked balls are probably better, because they don't sever body parts and lead to the multiplication problem.)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:01 am »

marksdwarves do really well against the undead, at least last time I encountered them.  Particularly with metal bolts, literally every shot is a killshot, unlike living enemies which flail around on the ground and absorb 15 more arrows before dying.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »

Cage traps are your friend in a reanimating biome.  Cage, Pit, and smash.  Also Magma does affect animated corpse, it makes than !!animated corpses!!.  And everyone likes flaming death zombies.

Also +1 to the maksdwarves.  Since undead currently have a hitpoints type system (This is being changed in the next update) they tend to die much easier than most living things so most weapons will work.  However the reactions that 'create' the undead make them much stronger and faster so they can and will break bones through masterwork steel armor.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »

Cage traps are your friend in a reanimating biome.  Cage, Pit, and smash.  Also Magma does affect animated corpse, it makes than !!animated corpses!!.  And everyone likes flaming death zombies.

Also +1 to the maksdwarves.  Since undead currently have a hitpoints type system (This is being changed in the next update) they tend to die much easier than most living things so most weapons will work.  However the reactions that 'create' the undead make them much stronger and faster so they can and will break bones through masterwork steel armor.
I thougth the hitpoint system was already out.

As for the undead problem, cage traps and weapon traps. You could also try to train a small squad to un-undead them, but that could prove to be fun

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:40 pm »

adding on, i think the best weapon traps involve blunt damage. like hammers maces and spiked balls so they cannot reanimate
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.