Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Nightwalkers, Vampire Brigade  (Read 536 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Nightwalkers, Vampire Brigade
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »

So, my fortress has had two of these bloodsucking bastages, and I've found out who they are. I have no justice systm set up yet, so they arent locked up or beaten with hammers, but i currently have them assigned to their own sqaud ''The Nightwalkers'' and stationed on a corner of the map.

My question is this: I know vampires are supposedly tougher than average. Is there a way to keep them around, in their own squad, and use them for combat, WITHOUT endangering the rest of my populace? I normally wouldn't worry, but I have a legendary weaponsmith/armorsmith to worry about here.

But the thought of having a first-wave Night Assault Squad is just neat.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The Nightwalkers, Vampire Brigade
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »

station them in a largish closable room that you open only in case of a battle and when the main fort is closed with no dwarf you care about left outside. After the battle, station them back inside their room, wait till they're all set, close room, open fort. Dump extra clothing and whatever they need from above, enable medical labors on all of them to have them sew eachother up after each battle. Occasionally dump anyone you're angry at inside. Remember to use the bloodsyndrome to remove the no-drink tag or they'll slow down so much it's not funny anymore and provide them with booze and water (when wounded)

how does that sound?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »

Bloodsyndrome? And it sounds good.. I could build them a room just outside my main fortress. Or just underneath it, perhaps a trap door type deal that I can open with a lever. Will patching them up matter? I know vampires don't drink water, so would they need it to be patched up?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »

i believe there is a way to keep them in the open without endangering your populace, but as i have not had a vampire its experimental and somewhat risky. You need to designate your entire fort where you want them to work as a burrow but exclude ALL possible sleeping areas from the burrow, then add them to it. Their "kill dwarf" job disguised as "on break" requires they be able to access sleeping dwarves in their burrow, and im pretty sure they stay in their burrow to perform this job since even tantruming dwarves cancel their fist fight jobs and head to the atom-smasher room when burrowed there.

Beware, as military alert burrows override personal burrows (i think) and this can lead to fun as they immediately go to their finally accessible dinner. They can also be a good way to dispose of children parasitic mini nobles and regular un-wanted nobles by including those dwarves' beds in their burrow area. Also beware that if not all dwarves have beds, they may sleep on the floor in vampire zones, and may be eaten.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

well, the problem is that vampires still slow down and general concensus is that it's alcohol withdrawal symptom. That would mean that if one of the team needs a bone set to speed the healing process, they'll take ages to diagnose, diagnose again because it was to long ago that the first diagnosis was made so it has to be checked again. How long has it been now? Let's do a diagnosis.... etc.

To prevent that someone wrote a syndrome into dwarf blood so that the tag that means vampires don't get thirsty and don't drink gets removed. So they'll drink alcohol again, and if they need to work actually do something. They'll need water when wounded too probably

I wonder why the alcohol dependent thing couldn't be removed, but I don't know a thing about modding

@post by catsup
feeding vampires ignore all burrows and most orders. There was some success with using station orders during a feeding to interupt it and prevent the victim from being completely drained, but a station order won't keep them there forever either
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:17:48 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

@post by catsup
feeding vampires ignore all burrows and most orders. There was some success with using station orders during a feeding to interupt it and prevent the victim from being completely drained, but a station order won't keep them there forever either
if this is the case, then there is no way to keep they in the open safely. Best wall them up in their separate room with hatches from above and below to trade in and out old/new clothes (or give them armor) as well as a emergency pick, some seeds, and perhaps some other supplies too that you would need to start over without going back the the main fort. In case something fun happens like clowns overrunning your fort from the inside, so you can rebuild from the inside as a separate fortress until you can contain them all.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:17 am »

I've had a few burrowed vampires and they never left it.  My first one I made a 1x1 burrow outside my gate and he stayed there without moving for years.