Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Bash Tactics - Party-based 2d Dungeon Crawler  (Read 1993 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Dungeon Bash Tactics - Party-based 2d Dungeon Crawler
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:44:13 pm »

Before anything else: Link.

So, what it is!
Quote from: The website
Dungeon Bash Tactics is a free single-player turn-based mouse-controlled, random dungeon, loot & leveling game with a minimalist plot. It's somewhere between a Rogue-like and a Japanese tactical RPG.

And, ah. There's... not much else to say? It's a neat little game, easily playable in coffee break time chunks. You run around in randomly generated dungeons murdering the inhabitants and looting everything, occasionally doing little quests of the find-foo-kill variety. Very straightforward, but still with enough moving parts to be interesting and tough enough enemies to pose a degree of challenge. There's even an auto-fight function to speed things along (though it's rather stupid, heh.).

It scratches the top-down 2d party & turn-based dungeon crawl itch a little, and so I figured folks might be interested!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Bash Tactics - Party-based 2d Dungeon Crawler
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:34 pm »

Frumple, man, how do you keep finding these games? Seems like you play every major and minor roguelike out there  :o

Downloaded it, I don't have the time to play it properly, but I love TBSes and squad games, so I'll give it a proper try tomorrow. Everything seems to take way too many clicks, though.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »

I also think it's cool but needs more keyboard shortcuts. Or I'm not seeing them. It would, at least, be nice to have one for "no action."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »

Frumple, man, how do you keep finding these games? Seems like you play every major and minor roguelike out there  :o
I've got the magic touch. *hip thrust* Un. *hip thrust* Ah!

... seriously though, it's mostly just been a matter of RSSing roguebasin's news section (much less of a pain in the ass before spammers starting hitting the site :-\), swinging by roguetemple's forum occasionally, and a bit of checking out roguelike developer's posts and whatnot from time to time. I think I found DBT while reading something or other about either Dungeon Monkey Unlimited or... another party-based roguelike that was cross released on the Mac not too long ago, the name of which I'm forgetting (it was also pretty awesome!). Then I'll at least try, well... most of what I run in to. I haven't played every major and minor roguelike out there... just a large majority of them, at least a little. S'a lot of really neat stuff out there.

Downloaded it, I don't have the time to play it properly, but I love TBSes and squad games, so I'll give it a proper try tomorrow. Everything seems to take way too many clicks, though.
Yeah... it's pretty clicky, honestly. You can hold down the mouse on the little arrow thing in auto mode to make that go faster, at least, which is something. It hasn't been too bad once y'get used to it, for me, though. Double-clicks seem to speed up a lot of things a little.

@FFS, yeah, there's not much in the way of shortcuts at all. I think you might be able to enter through a few things, but that's about it, iirc. Definitely a bit of a weakness, t'be honest. Do think there's some particular way or place you can click to default to no action, though. Just... forgetting what it is, bleh.
Ask not!
Ask!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »

Okay, so yeah, double clicking your character after moving defaults them to no action. Double clicking a reachable enemy attacks 'em.

I kinda like how you can choose what to train and upgrade. It's worth it to get their basic attacks (absorb, acid dart, etc.) to a high level before having your mages take on monsters without full backup.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:15 pm »

Link doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:59:16 pm »

Still working for me. I could probably throw up a mediafire or something mirror for the game's .zip, if you're interested, though.

E: Though... maybe after I take a nap, since I'm apparently sleepy enough to be incapable of spelling throw correctly :-\
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:08:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:27 am »

Yeah, still getting a "webpage is not available" error in chrome, not sure what's up then. I'd certainly take a mediafire!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:11 am »

Odd. But yeah, try this link, which is the direct link from the site. If that doesn't work, give here (upl.co link) or here (depositfiles, since mediafire has apparently turned into ass since the last time I used it.) a try. Anyone uninterested in those sources and with a better upload service to use is welcome to make suggestions, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:30 am »

Huh. Not bad.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:21:43 am »

Odd. But yeah, try this link, which is the direct link from the site. If that doesn't work, give here (upl.co link) or here (depositfiles, since mediafire has apparently turned into ass since the last time I used it.) a try. Anyone uninterested in those sources and with a better upload service to use is welcome to make suggestions, heh.

Thank yah! Those links worked. Chrome also complained about it being dangerous for some reason, which may have been why the website wasn't loading up right. Giving it a shot!

EDIT: This is pretty great.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:59:19 am by Seriyu »