Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dorfy new cave-in idea  (Read 702 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dorfy new cave-in idea
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »

I've thought of this idea and I call it the repeating cave-in trap and I wanna know if it would work.
This must be done in an area with cold temperatures.

Ground Level: You channel down an area from above ground (for arguments sake lets say it is a 4x4 area).
Level -1: below you dig a 6x6 area and dig away the floor and replace it with bridges.
Level -2: Dig out an area of 4x4 and make it an entrance to the fort.

Pump water onto level -1 while the bridges are still there to form a lake. The inside of the lake will then freeze while there will hopefully be a 1 tile long border of un-frozen water because it is "indoors". Then retract the bridges on level -1 at the appropriate time and the 4x4 block of ice will fall and crush the invaders beneath it.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dorfy new cave-in idea
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »

If you have an aquifer, a much lower tech solution would be to use that to fill the lake above.  I don't see anything wrong with the design though, it seems like it should work. 

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »

... Then retract the bridges on level -1 at the appropriate time and the 4x4 block of ice will fall and crush the invaders beneath it.

Bridges don't support adjacent tiles.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:06 pm »

Fairly certain you could set up a pair of opposite-facing repeating shotguns, one with water and one with magma, and have them run on repeat for a while. If you can get them the right distance apart, that could work.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »

Well, if the weight of water = the weight of magma, and you have two identical carts on identical tracks, then you should easily be able to launch the two globs at each other and have them meet up in exactly midair.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:48 am »

Well, if the weight of water = the weight of magma, and you have two identical carts on identical tracks, then you should easily be able to launch the two globs at each other and have them meet up in exactly midair.
That's a lovely mental image, but I suspect that projectile-projectile collisions don't happen, and they'll pass right through each other.

I can't think of a tile type that both blocks projectiles (which might then combine into obsidian) and doesn't require a floor. If it has a floor, it will support the newly formed obsidian and you won't get a cave-in.

BUT! If you had an unconscious or otherwise stationary goblin, or maybe a pet, standing on the middle of a bridge with no adjacent wall or floor, and the water and magma struck the goblin simultaneously, would that insta-cast some unsupported obsidian? It'd probably deconstruct the bridge if it then collapsed, so you'd have a dead goblin cast in obsidian falling along with bits of bridge...

Probably it would be easier to have the water and lava globs run into walls at z+2 and z+1, respectively, then fall down onto a bridge below, where they combine, etc...

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:14:29 am »

Quote from: Urist Da Vinci
Bridges don't support adjacent tiles.
My dorfs find this out over a volcano... Surprisingly, the architect survived it with a single bruise...