Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Complete noob needs help! D:  (Read 1549 times)

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Complete noob needs help! D:
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:33:42 am »

I really want to start out with this mode, but I'm lost. Completely. Like i can't even command my dwarves. I have no idea how anything works. XD I am an adventure mode veteran, so the symbols and controls don't faze me, but i have no idea how to work these darn dwarves! Anyone have a simple step-by-step guide for me?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete noob needs help! D:
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:41:14 am »

I can recommend the quickstart guide from the wiki. You could also try checking out the tutorials at the top of that page.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:45:43 am »

First of all, you can't command individual dwarfs. You just tell what needs to be done and your dwarfs have to figure it out themselves.

I recommend you watch a lets play.
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:48 am »

Thanks guys. :D

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:18 am »

You don't directly command the dwarves. Rather, you designate tasks to be performed, and the first available dwarf with the correct skills performs them.

|d| brings up the "Designation" menu. This is for things like digging, gathering wild plants, cutting trees, and tearing down constructed items.
|b| brings up the "Buildings" menu. This is for... well, building things. Use |C| to access constructed items like walls and floors, |w| to access workshops, and |e| to access furnaces once you have the resources.
|u| brings up the "Units" menu for a quick view of names and any known animals/invaders/allies/clowns in the area.
|z| is a fortress overview, with sub-menus to view and control animal populations, kitchens, stocks, etc. It's very handy.
|m| is used to assign dwarves to the military, but |s| is used to give the military squads tasks.
|q| is used to view workshops and assign tasks to them. |t| is used to see what's inside those workshops.
|v| is used to view individual characters, reassign their labors, etc.
|k| is to view everything else.

Does that help?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:02 am »

After Action Reporter has a good tutorial for Fortress Mode at http://afteractionreporter.com/dwarf-fortress-tutorials/

It's written for a much older version, but it's still relevant.  Most of the things that have changed since then are extra features or later in the game than it covers.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

As mentioned before, you don't directly control dwarves. What you do is create jobs, assign labours, and queue production orders.

To give orders, you:
- Designate using the (d)esignation menu. This is for things like chopping wood (needs axe), mining (need pick), gathering plants and more.
- Build workshops/furnaces/other items using the (b)uild menu
- You create stockpiles using the (p) button. Dwarves will store things there.
- Once you have workshops up, you can use the (q) button to access the workshop, and add items to be build there.

Best of luck, let us know when it stops making sense!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »

You don't directly command the dwarves. Rather, you designate tasks to be performed, and the first available dwarf with the correct skills performs them.

|d| brings up the "Designation" menu. This is for things like digging, gathering wild plants, cutting trees, and tearing down constructed items.
|b| brings up the "Buildings" menu. This is for... well, building things. Use |C| to access constructed items like walls and floors, |w| to access workshops, and |e| to access furnaces once you have the resources.
|u| brings up the "Units" menu for a quick view of names and any known animals/invaders/allies/clowns in the area.
|z| is a fortress overview, with sub-menus to view and control animal populations, kitchens, stocks, etc. It's very handy.
|m| is used to assign dwarves to the military, but |s| is used to give the military squads tasks.
|q| is used to view workshops and assign tasks to them. |t| is used to see what's inside those workshops.

Does that help?
Tons. Thanks so much! :D

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »

Does that help?
I just cut down some trees, but i don't know how to make my dwarves pick them up. Also, how to i make torches to light areas, and how do i pick up other things, such as minerals and plants?

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »

Does that help?
I just cut down some trees, but i don't know how to make my dwarves pick them up. Also, how to i make torches to light areas, and how do i pick up other things, such as minerals and plants?
Dwarves need no torches! And you need to designate some stockpiles (p).

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:39 pm »

Does that help?
Dwarves need no torches! And you need to designate some stockpiles (p).
Ah! So if it's dark, they don't care. Good to know. So if i designate a wood stockpile, they should pick it up, right?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:10:19 pm »

* place a wood stockpile, ideally near where you plan to build your carpenter's workshops

* there are neither torches, your fortress dwarves can see fine in the dark, see also
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tile_attributes
the 'Light' attribute pretty much determines which type of plants grow, and isn't critical otherwise.

* stone stockpile
* food stockpile

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Stockpile

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:00 pm »

* place a wood stockpile, ideally near where you plan to build your carpenter's workshops

* there are neither torches, your fortress dwarves can see fine in the dark, see also
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tile_attributes
the 'Light' attribute pretty much determines which type of plants grow, and isn't critical otherwise.

* stone stockpile
* food stockpile

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Stockpile
Ok, great. How does one create a door?

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Furniture#Building_a_door_from_scratch
Mkay, cool. Also what does dumping do? I know it moves things, but how do i get my stumpies to move the stuff?
Pages: [1] 2