Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers sporadically losing their nicknames.  (Read 1329 times)

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers sporadically losing their nicknames.
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:07 am »

I am having an intermittent issue among the military dwarfs that sometimes they will lose their nicknames. At first, I thought this was due to the transition between active and inactive military, but I no longer believe this to be so. Even dwarfs who are assigned to the military full-time, and have achieved elite status, i.e., Axe Lord, Hammer Lord, etc., will sometimes lose their nicknames. I have no idea what is causing this. I use dwarf therapist, and I have tried assigning nicknames with both the default game client and via dwarf therapist. I cannot think of any particular action or event which is tied to all instances of the name loss occurring and am at a loss. I will just sometimes notice it while browsing the unit list. This has happened across several embark locations and worlds, so I don't think it's anything to do with that; and, it has also been duplicated across multiple installs of the game on different computers.

Any advice on this? It's really bothersome, especially when I am trying to keep names sorted in a Let's Play! that I'm running.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers sporadically losing their nicknames.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:52:34 am »

Just as speculation, it might have to do with them (or their equipment, or their opponents) earning additional generated suffixes and prefixes to their name. I think property names at least check their owner name, and that check might reset their nickname or something.

I really have no idea though.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:39 am »

I have the same problem. Using Dwarf The Rapist too and military dwarfs ditch their nicknames. Same dwarf can do it multiple times, so its not a title thing. Very annoying.
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:39:25 am »

"Dwarf The Rapist"
:')
I've never heard it be called that before! :'D
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:56:45 am »

soldiers become renamed after killing a notable target, even if they dont get a name upgrade and so revert to their normal name. Really only a problem if you use large nicknames, i name my elite soldiers SS and regulars/rookies RR (for "soldier" and "recruit") numbers is added behind the label depending on their squad, with the original squads numberless  (ie SS1, RR2)

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:15:39 am »

soldiers become renamed after killing a notable target, even if they dont get a name upgrade and so revert to their normal name. Really only a problem if you use large nicknames, i name my elite soldiers SS and regulars/rookies RR (for "soldier" and "recruit") numbers is added behind the label depending on their squad, with the original squads numberless  (ie SS1, RR2)
I can confirm that this is the case. My dwarves only get renamed after killing notable targets. I have to go on a rename-spree after every siege. It's not a big deal for me, I just go to squad view on dwarf therapist and rename.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:09 pm »

Is this perhaps directly caused by Dwarf Therapist?  I've never seen this happen, and don't use Dwarf Therapist.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:21:03 pm »

Is this perhaps directly caused by Dwarf Therapist?  I've never seen this happen, and don't use Dwarf Therapist.

Same; don't use Therapist, and haven't seen a rename. Full disclosure is that I've only played a couple long-term forts in the current version, and don't use danger rooms so most of my military aren't legendary. Several have racked up 100+ kills, though.

I also name all my soldiers after Mortal Kombat characters, so maybe they don't want new names.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:05 pm »

I can confirm that this is the case. My dwarves only get renamed after killing notable targets. I have to go on a rename-spree after every siege. It's not a big deal for me, I just go to squad view on dwarf therapist and rename.

That at least explains it and gives me something to look out for. In a normal fort where I am playing just for my own pleasure this would not be an issue because, as Catsup notes, it's pretty nifty and useful to just give dwarfs short nicknames to describe their functions; but, in a Let's Play! where you are naming dwarfs after people following the thread, and trying to maintain a narrative about what these various dwarfs do, it is incredibly annoying to realize perhaps months later that a given dorfname no longer exists.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

Same; don't use Therapist, and haven't seen a rename. Full disclosure is that I've only played a couple long-term forts in the current version, and don't use danger rooms so most of my military aren't legendary. Several have racked up 100+ kills, though.

For what it's worth, I've had one 20+ year fort in .34.11 and never saw this happen despite having over 20 legendary soldiers who were frequently killing notable targets.  So it certainly seems that something else is to blame.  My current fort is only 3 years old, but has a couple of soldiers past the "lord" point and while they turn off labors when going on duty, I've never seen them drop their nicknames.

I also name all my soldiers after Mortal Kombat characters, so maybe they don't want new names.

Well, in my case they were just given random Russian names, but then maybe they were fond of those names too, heh.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

Personally I have never seen this occur when playing just DF and not using Dwarf Therapist. So it might be a problem with DT and not something with DF. Or perhaps its just that I notice it more in DT but I doubt it. Ill keep an eye on my long fort to see if the names change there after killing notable targets.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 05:37:42 pm »

I use Dwarf Therapist.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 07:58:57 pm »

This is a DT bug.  Use the ingame nickname method if you need a name to stick.  I use DT's nicknames all the time and I consistently  lose the tags only on the odd military dwarf after combat.  Since their nicknames only reflect their squad #, its pretty quick to fix.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.