Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress' UI: I kinda like it?  (Read 5034 times)

Nyalathoteps_Cousin

• Bay Watcher
  • I wish I'd spelled my name correctly...
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress' UI: I kinda like it?
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »

It seems that everywhere else on the internet, I either get laughed at or flamed off of most every dicussion about DF's Interface. I honestly prefer the button based approach since I play on my laptop more than anything else. It just seems more convenient to have everything have its own individual button trees to work with.

Am I really that bad for liking the UI and not wanting Toady to dumb it down?

I'd like your honest opinions.
Every time you post an update I am sad because the timer on when another update will be made is reset.

Goddamnit its like crack and I've been injecting it straight into my eyeballs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Dwarf Fortress' UI: I kinda like it?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »

No mouse support and keyboard only is no problem and seems fitting for this kind of game. The design and user accessibility of the UI is really bad though... just imagine the UI at the bottom, with some icons and a minimap, like any other RTS game... ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

It could be better but I have most of commands memorized and I also think that it isn't such a problem like a lot of people make it to be.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »

The only thing I personally have issues with is the labor designation. Table-based input needs, absolutely needs, to be implemented in vanilla DF, and I mean outside of Dwarf The Rapist or DFhack.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »

I have no problem with the keyboard interface either. When it comes to the UI being changed I imagine it would be more to do with adding options so that people who aren't good with keyboards can also use mouse interfaces and vice versa. More options instead of less!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »

In my opinion, the UI serves two purposes for two different groups: first, it tells new people what they can do and lays out their options in a way that's easy to interpret. Second, it minimizes the amount of work the user needs (usually measured in keypresses) so people who know what they're doing can get things done quickly.

DF is very good at the latter. Not the former. Having an option for every key on your board is fantastic once you have them all memorized, but intimidating before then.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »

Thats true. Like new starcraft players using the mouse to click on icons, while people familiar with the game mostly press hotkeys.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:09 pm »

I know what every key does without having to look. I just press it without even thinking anymore.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

Yea it's intimidating, but useable once yer used to it.

There is definitely room for improvement though.  Lots of inconsistent scrolling for one, and the stocks screen REALLY needs to be able to use shift-arrow when set to larger window sizes.   Checking how many bars I have in stock is a friggin chore when it's 20 arrow presses from the top or bottom of the screen.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:46 pm »

Hello Nyalathoteps_Cousin!

I don't think you are bad about liking the UI as it is, although I would not talk about "dumbing it down", as this does sound a bit elitist (^_^;;.

Anyhow, personally, I like the interface as it is. I am horrible at using the mouse, so if I had to designate things using the mouse, I would have to do (or rather re-do) every designation about five times. Add to this that I like to make all surface ponds initially marked as restricted traffic zones, being very precise about that, and also mark surface streets using traffic designations to encourage trampling saplings in the streets while not harming those in the free areas, there are a lot of designations that require good precision.

I guess, besides habit, which also adds to it, it is also a matter of what playstyle you have. I haven't turned invasions on in years of playing the game, concentrating on building things and managing trade and production in fortresses with minimal migration (pop cap set to 7), so there is not the need for me to manage tons of goblinite or hordes of dwarves. I prefer to play in a slow, relaxed manner where I can put a little tweak here and there, a style that, in my opinion, works best with the precision the keyboard controls give me.

Thus, I am more than happy with the way things are currently.

Yours,
Deathworks

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »

Yea it's intimidating, but useable once yer used to it.

There is definitely room for improvement though.  Lots of inconsistent scrolling for one, and the stocks screen REALLY needs to be able to use shift-arrow when set to larger window sizes.   Checking how many bars I have in stock is a friggin chore when it's 20 arrow presses from the top or bottom of the screen.

Page up/page down.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 11:11:02 pm »

Yeah, once you get used to it, it's just like typing anything else.

Mouse support would not hurt my feelings, but using key commands for everything is faster. Moving the cursor around with the numpad or arrows is kinda clunky and slow, however.

What the game really needs is better visuals for looking up and down z-levels. I'd like to go to the top of a mountain and see all the way down, or see structure several floors down in a fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:43:59 pm »

Mouse support would not hurt my feelings, but using key commands for everything is faster. Moving the cursor around with the numpad or arrows is kinda clunky and slow, however.
Shift + Arrows/numpad

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:37 am »

Shift + Arrows/numpad

Yeah I know, but you'll skip over something and have to plod your way back a few squares by mashing the arrow key anyways.

Would be nice if you could just click on them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 12:18:41 am »

What the game really needs is better visuals for looking up and down z-levels. I'd like to go to the top of a mountain and see all the way down, or see structure several floors down in a fortress.

100 times this. That's the only thing that bugs me about DF graphics.
._.
Pages: [1] 2 3