Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

Author Topic: WizardQuest: The Quest to be a Wizard  (Read 59533 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: WizardQuest: The Quest to be a Wizard
« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:47 pm »

Ask him why he wants to pay so much, and to see his current stock of magical items. Warn him that we likely won't be able to conduct the trade until after the crawl.
+1 this.

Also, what game was that the fighters were playing? it looked like checkers, but had colored lines on the board. Looked fun
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2013, 05:37:24 pm »

Tell him that that journal contained everything your dad knew about fighting evil.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 06, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »

Accept, on the condition that you are invited to take part in the hunt of any treasure that the Journal may lead to, and that you get a share of said treasure. He can have the Necromancy notes. We just want treasure. Damn thing might set off our monster gate anyway.

If he still has the same stock of magical items, take the Coldiron Sword. If he has new stuff, inform Charlie you will ponder which item you want over the course of the Dungeon Crawl.

Meet your allies for the crawl. Get their names and inquire as to what kind of enchantments they would prefer to have placed on them in the heat of battle.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:09:24 pm by Weirdsound »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2013, 02:58:52 am »

I strongly suggest that we find out (without any shadow of a doubt) why that book elicited that reaction from charlie before doing anything else with it. In fact, after this dungeon crawl, I think that book should be our main focus. To start, that means this:
Ask him why he wants to pay so much, and to see his current stock of magical items. Warn him that we likely won't be able to conduct the trade until after the crawl.

Seriously, that's a lost tome of a famous necromancer, and a pirate necromancer to boot. That thing could have MAGNIFICENT secrets. In fantasy game terms, this is like finding Blackbeard's treasure map collection with Lord Voldemort's diary written in the margin.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2013, 07:59:00 am »

I strongly suggest that we find out (without any shadow of a doubt) why that book elicited that reaction from charlie before doing anything else with it. In fact, after this dungeon crawl, I think that book should be our main focus. To start, that means this:

Seriously, that's a lost tome of a famous necromancer, and a pirate necromancer to boot. That thing could have MAGNIFICENT secrets. In fantasy game terms, this is like finding Blackbeard's treasure map collection with Lord Voldemort's diary written in the margin.

I guess I could agree to wait until after the crawl. But honestly, handing it to Charlie is not a bad idea. He knows how to read it, and we don't. We would learn more by taking lessons from Charlie than by trying to work through the book on our own. As long as he promises to cut us in on any treasure hunts the maps reveals, giving the dwarf the book works to both of our favor.

The only risk is that Charlie may go mad with power and pull a Face Heel turn on us, and even then, he'd likely let us alone or ask us to join him. We were always very nice to Charlie.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

And that's a good thing? Have you even read the Harry Potter books?
...For one thing, the diary is empty.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2013, 05:19:43 pm »

Not THAT diary  :P

But my point stands. For somebody, somewhere, this is the gateway to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DqV1xdf-Y

We should see to it that somebody means us.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »

If the pirate had unlimited obtained unlimited power power, I doubt we would have obtained his book.

Also, it is a nercomancy book. Just learned the basics of necromancy a few turns ago. If we try to tap an ultimate necromancy power untrained, we could end up like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ythpzsu18

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 08, 2013, 07:48:23 pm »

Yes but that's part of the <book story arc> if we decide to utilize it! We should unlock it's secrets, just not in a foolish and headstrong manner.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 09, 2013, 02:41:04 am »

You ask CHARLIE why the JOURNAL is worth so much to him.
He replies that this is friggin' BLACK-HAND JACK'S PERSONAL JOURNAL! Black-Hand Jack, leader of the most feared pirate crew slash complacency of necromancers in the world! Scourge of the entire southwestern coastline!
Any wizard worth their salt that does so much as dabble in the DARK ARTS would gladly gnaw their right arm off to possess such a treasure.

You tell him that you'll think about it, and give him a definitive answer after you've finished up the DUNGEON CRAWL.
You also ask to see his MAGIC ITEMS.

Accept, on the condition that you are invited to take part in the hunt of any treasure that the Journal may lead to, and that you get a share of said treasure. He can have the Necromancy notes. We just want treasure. Damn thing might set off our monster gate anyway.
If he still has the same stock of magical items, take the Coldiron Sword. If he has new stuff, inform Charlie you will ponder which item you want over the course of the Dungeon Crawl.
Meet your allies for the crawl. Get their names and inquire as to what kind of enchantments they would prefer to have placed on them in the heat of battle.

He directs you to the STORAGE ROOM.
You have already seen the MARBLE OF RAGE and COLD IRON SHORTSWORD.
Other than those, there is:
A BALL OF AETHER. AETHER is the most divine of DIVINE MATERIALS, and is the material that encircles the PHYSICAL WORLD, separating it from the REALMS OF THE GODS. It is weightless, indestructible, and exudes a light but steady stream of DIVINE MANA. While not particularly useful in its current shape, there exist GREAT BLACKSMITHS who may work AETHER into armor or weapons.
A DIAMOND OF FALSE WEALTH. Twice a day, this diamond may enchant an object or handful of small objects, placing an advanced glamour on them. The object(s) will appear to others as being of incredible worth, and they will be enamored and distracted. The glamour fades at midnight.
Another CUBE OF STONEFLESH. Adding this to SQUISHEE will double his size, doubling his combat effectiveness and allowing him to split into two pieces.

You return to the FIGHTER'S GUILD.

The FIGHTER is here, along with a KOBOLD ROGUE. He says now that the party is all together, he thinks some introductions are in order.
He introduces himself as JESSE, and the KOBOLD ROGUE as JAMES. He says that James isn't his real name, which is something with too many consonants all in a row.
CHARLIE introduces himself as CHARLIE.

You travel NORTHEAST to the DUNGEON, a ruined COLISEUM.

As you approach the entrance, JESSE begins explaining the objective.

He says that deep under the COLISEUM lies an ancient SWORD. Retrieving this sword is the primary objective, any other loot takes second priority.
The first obstacle to obtaining the SWORD is entering the underground ruins themselves. According to other FIGHTERS who have attempted to clear the ruins, the entrance is hidden and protected by powerful monsters. Two teams will be formed; the SEARCH TEAM, who will locate the entrance, and the COMBAT TEAM, who will protect the SEARCH TEAM by defeating the guard monsters.
He says that while JAMES needs to be on the SEARCH TEAM, but the rest of us can be on either team.

JESSE thinks that two groups of two would be ideal, but he's willing to field any combination of individuals.
CHARLIE says that while his skills lie in more combat-focused areas, he thinks he can perform just as well on the SEARCH TEAM.

What will you do?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 09, 2013, 07:30:15 am »

For now: Join the Search Team. Have Squishee help search. Maybe touch Squishee to the kobold?

For the future: That Stoneflesh looks pretty useful...and 2k is always useful...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 09, 2013, 09:16:16 am »

Join the search team. And yeah, the kobold might be small enough to for squishee to provide a decent amount of cover and protection to it.

Put Charlie on the Combat Team with the fighter. Before you split up, have Charlie help you create two cans of your patented evil spray paint like substance, just in case either party encounters any wards. One for his party, and one for yours.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:04:53 am by Weirdsound »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 09, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »

Search team, with Jeese and Charlie on Combat.

For the future: That Stoneflesh looks pretty useful...and 2k is always useful...
Agreed on the Stoneflesh. The Diamond would get us enemies instead of friends. But lets start at 4k, and bargain down, but slowly.

For reference, how much is gold worth in a real currency?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 09, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »

Search team, with Jeese and Charlie on Combat.

Agreed on the Stoneflesh. The Diamond would get us enemies instead of friends. But lets start at 4k, and bargain down, but slowly.

For reference, how much is gold worth in a real currency?

Yeah. I would also like to know how much gold is worth in terms of something common and mundane like wheat.

As for the magical items, I'm more intrested in the AETHER and the COLD IRON. If we could find a smith who could handle one of those substances, we could get into the business of growing magic materials on our tree and selling powerful arms and armor.

Or at the very least we could get a cool sacred AETHER blade. We should ask Charlie and Jesse if either of them know a good smith after the dungeon crawl.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 09, 2013, 04:55:58 pm »

Join the search team.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34